Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Feds Ask for Vigilance on Trains Based on Info from Bin Laden Compound

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold

Not immediate, BTW. Supposedly happening on 9/11.

From NBC New York:

A government advisory sent Thursday says that as far back as February 2010, al-Qaida was contemplating "an operation against trains at an unspecified location in the United States on the 10th anniversary" of the 9/11 attacks.

One option, the advisory says, was trying to tip a train by tampering with the rails so that the train would fall off the track at either a valley or on a bridge. Such an attempt would probably only work once, the material in bin Laden's house said, because tilting or tampering with the rails would be spotted, the advisory says.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If OBL were smart, he'd have created a bunch more dummy plots to be discovered ... all in order to get us to waste ever more money on mythical plots. As anyone with a brain should know, the country eagerly wastes money reacting to even failed attempts at who knows what (e.g. the "underwear bomber", the "shoe bomber", the "bottle bomber(s)" that didn't even have tickets, the "printer cartridge bomber", etc), so why not even more dummy plots.

He was about bleeding us financially -- in life and perhaps even in death -- after his effort to make isolationists out of Americans failed. Can't say that he's been a complete failure even in death.

It's not like the government is unable to waste a couple trillion dollars reacting to everything and nothing at all -- courtesy of the public's apathy, ignorance and/or paranoia. The TSA has never been satisfied with its budget being only as much as it is; nor has the TSA ever been satisfied with being restricted to passenger screening at airports.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 5, 2011 at 7:15 pm
Old May 5, 2011, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If OBL were smart, he'd have created a bunch more dummy plots to be discovered ... all in order to get us to waste ever more money on mythical plots. As anyone with a brain should know, the country eagerly wastes money reacting to even failed attempts at who knows what (e.g. the "underwear bomber", the "shoe bomber", the "bottle bomber(s)" that didn't even have tickets, the "printer cartridge bomber", etc), so why not even more dummy plots.

He was about bleeding us financially -- in life and perhaps even in death -- after his effort to make isolationists out of Americans failed. Can't say that he's been a complete failure even in death.

It's not like the government is unable to waste a couple trillion dollars reacting to everything and nothing at all -- courtesy of the public's apathy, ignorance and/or paranoia. The TSA has never been satisfied with its budget being only as much as it is; nor has the TSA ever been satisfied with being restricted to passenger screening at airports.
The information they found had to do with tampering with the tracks, not the trains. Thus, riders should be sure to walk the tracks ahead of the train the day before riding.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
The information they found had to do with tampering with the tracks, not the trains. Thus, riders should be sure to walk the tracks ahead of the train the day before riding.
"See something, say something."
Old May 5, 2011, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
now the TSA will be screening train passengers for any device that could be used to remove track spikes.

I wonder how much of this is being used to put pressure on the AmTrak PD chief who booted TSA's sorry butt off AmTrak property...
Old May 5, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
You know. I do believe all kinds of important intel will be derived from the raid. But I do not believe OBL wrote up a detailed terror plot and saved it in his My Documents folder as Secret_Terror_Plot.doc . I'm guessing it will take allot more work than that.

Quite candidly, I believe the US government planned a train harassment campaign already and is lying when they say they are rolling it out now in response to discovering Bin Laden was planning terror attacks.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:57 pm

Of course, the only recent domestic incident of this type of attack might be blamed on homegrown nutbars.

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Pa...ona_derailment
Old May 6, 2011, 12:10 am

Given that reports say he lived in the same cave - sorry room - for 5 years without leaving it, couldn't play Call of Duty, ring Hot Asian Babes or watch The Wire I suspect he spent his time thinking of Evul Plots.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:33 am

TSA and Rail Travel

Al Qaeda plotting against US rail says computer data found in Bin Laden's compound. TSA gropes now to spread to rail terminals? Discuss.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: United
Except that the information on OBL's computers had nothing to do with a passenger but with messing with the tracks. So yes, I expect the TSA to enhance their fondling of six year olds.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
OBL being dead should change nothing. Trains are still trains. No more or less dangerous than before. There was mention of wanting to do something on trains on 9/11/11, but absolutely no evidence anything happened in that direction. If the TSA uses this as an excuse to expand their empire I think it will, and certainly should, backfire, as most people still haven't been exposed to the abuses of this disgrace of an agency. Hopefully people who ride trains will react to them like... well, people who ride trains. GET 'EM!
Old May 6, 2011, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Al Qaeda plotting against US rail says computer data found in Bin Laden's compound. TSA gropes now to spread to rail terminals? Discuss.
I, for one, welcome our new rail overlords.

I've always wanted to see what happens when a screener gets hit by a train, and give them 4 minutes of molesting before someone shows me.

Last edited by essxjay; May 6, 2011 at 7:58 am Reason: derogatory
Old May 6, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The fact that the government is now publicly discussing a threat to rails is one way of "softening" the public to accept invasive airport-style security on trains.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by nbs2
I, for one, welcome our new rail overlords.

I've always wanted to see what happens when a screener gets hit by a train, and give them 4 minutes of molesting before someone shows me.
More or less the same thing that happens when a plague rat gets hit by a train. Difference is that I'd feel sympathy for the plague rat. The plague rat never fondled me or my loved ones, and plague rats don't use FUD to justify further government expenditures in order to preserve their paychecks. Plague rats are honest about what they want - eat, sleep, screw, spread plague wherever they can. TSOs do mostly the same but they lie about where they plan on spreading their plague of security theatre. And they lie about why, and how much it will cost, and how much good it will do. And when they go back on their word, they claim that there was no such word and that their current actions were always the plan all along. I'd feel bad for the plague rat - it wandered into a world of technology and machinery it couldn't possibly understand and paid a steep price for its honest mistake. The TSO I'd just want scraped up, bagged, and carried away as soon as possible.

I'll be very interested in hearing Amtrak's response to this. I applaud them for putting the TSA in its place once and I hope they will have the spine to do it again. And again. However many times it takes.

The really interesting part will be Amtrak's response after an attack is successfully pulled off. I would hope that they'd stand fast and say "No, we'll tend to our own problems with the aid of real law-enforcement officers." My worry is that because Amtrak is partly government-operated (isn't it? Something to do with controlled monopolies?), the government will force the disgusting, worthless and unjustifiable terrorist group that is the TSA upon Amtrak.

If that happens, I only hope that the people wake up and realize that the only way TSA is going away is if we push back against them at every level. And we will no longer be able to afford the luxury of the mentality of "It's not the little guys' fault, they're just trying to feed their families." We're going to have to make lives as miserable as possible for each and every last organism that collects a paycheck from the TSA, no matter what its rank.

Last edited by essxjay; May 6, 2011 at 7:58 am
Old May 6, 2011, 8:11 am

Can't exactly address the difficulties, but I think most western nations are eventually going to have to address access to our territory by people with jihadist sentiments. I feel our borders are entirely too open. The poor and huddled masses are no LONGER longing to be free. Some at least are longing to assist the people in our country who don't like anyone being free.

Beyond that, free practice of religion should no longer include reviling the people and culture of the United States. Can't prevent it in Yemen, but I never understand why UK and the United States tolerates the blatant crying of "fire" in a crowded theater which is the stock in trade of radical religionists of all kinds. I don't mind attacks on the government. No problem there. But "Americans should be killed" makes a mockery of the intentions of the Founding Fathers. We can't raise them from the dead to ask them, but I find it a no-brainer that recruitment of impressionable youth to commit religion-based homicide is NOT "the free pracitce of religion". If those doing it were selling cocaine, running rackets, or promoting fascism with homicidal conspiracies, would we really extend the umbrella of sacred free speech to them? I hope not. Same with these people who come to America and try to recruit Somali teenagers to return to the homeland and join Al Shabbab.

Bombs don't kill people, terrorists setting off bombs do. Trying to protect every inch of rail in the country makes no sense if no effort is made to exclude those motivated is made first. And I'm never gonna accept the "it can't be done". How many things have we done where someone said we couldn't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.