Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Woman arrested at PHL for cracking confetti-filled egg over TSA agent's head

Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:53 am
Original Poster

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...TER-BUNNY.html

Val Baul got herself arrested at the Philadelphia International Airport in February for cracking a confetti-filled egg over the head of a TSA agent. She's a former traveling clown and community radio DJ who goes by the name Anythinggal online and often can be seen around her town in a large, pink bunny suit. Her town, you may gather, is not Philly. It's Roeland Park, Kansas.
The flame-haired, free-spirited 35-year-old had flown to Philadelphia over Valentine's Day weekend to attend the wedding ...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Good for her ^

But to
In Municipal Court she learned she could pay $200 and plead no contest, but since the TSA had contacted her March 17 about potential federal charges of interfering with the screening process stemming from the egg incident, she decided she had to plead not guilty to the charge of harassment.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:09 pm

The Easter Bunny is no laughing matter, folks. It is that time of year again for CBP to warn us furriners about the fact that bringing Überraschungseier into the US is strongly verboten and will net us fines or worse!

Time for American parents to watch those parcels from family in Germany too; chances are they may arrive opened with a letter inside from CBP in place of the gift.

(Although I must admit that choosing to crack the egg over the screener's head was most likely not the best choice in this situation)
"I said, 'You want to see? This one's kind of broken. You're the winner. Here we go - smash!'

"And I smacked it on her head."
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:13 pm

Update to the story:

TSA molestations continue without charges.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:19 pm

My Malware/AntiVirus alarm went off with that link.....
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by RoadGuy
My Malware/AntiVirus alarm went off with that link.....
Link seems ok on my comp. While I'm sure this lady meant well, I can't say I would ever enjoy someone smashing a plastic egg into my head. I don't think I'd want her arrested, but being on the receiving end of a good scolding would not be uncalled for.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Anyone else find it ironic that TSA is pressing charges for harassment?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:54 pm

While I can feel her pain, its wrong to assault anyone even a smurf and an assault can even be committed with just paper

the only assaults justified are the ones that are needed to save your life and then only as much force needed to save your life if you can't retreat

this woman is just simply a fool and she should be prosecuted
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by volunteerchild

this woman is just simply a fool and she should be prosecuted
yes, agreed.

the only assaults justified are the ones that are needed to save your life and then only as much force needed to save your life if you can't retreat
That's a slippery slope to be on and many people will disagree with you.

What about to protect someone else's life? What if the someone else is unable to defend themselves?

What about to prevent serious injury? Perpetrator coming at me with a dangerous but likely not deadly weapon; are you saying I just have to take it?

What about to prevent sexual assault? Is a potential rape victim obligated to put up with her attacker?

What about to protect property? Am I obligated to watch a home-invader steal my jewelry because the cops haven't shown up?

In many jurisdictions in the US, use of deadly force--let alone non deadly force--is legal to defend life, limb (i.e., injury), and property. And often there is no obligation to retreat, especially if you are at home.

The woman in this incident appears to be an idiot, but I expect to see self-defense used by a defendant charged with assault/battery on a screener in the near future because of the fine line between many of TSA's current policies and assault or battery on the passenger.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:41 pm
Suspended

No, assault in most states requires actual injury.

...and no, assault can be justified by significantly lower standards than protection of life. Assault with a deadly weapon is generally the only assault that requires such a standard, and even then, it need not be your own life in danger (any human will do), and there may or may not be a legal need to retreat (for example, if you're robbing my Florida home, car, or office while I'm inside of it, I have no obligation to retreat).

Originally Posted by volunteerchild
While I can feel her pain, its wrong to assault anyone even a smurf and an assault can even be committed with just paper

--Jon
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:43 pm
Suspended

I'm not aware of a state that allows you to defend property with deadly force. Many states do allow you to use deadly force against someone robbing your home, but the reason for that is it is assumed that someone in your home presents a danger to your life. If someone was, for example, stealing the mailbox off of your lawn, most (all?) states will not allow you to use deadly force (and generally, even the brandishing of a firearm without actually firing it counts) to stop that.

Originally Posted by studentff
In many jurisdictions in the US, use of deadly force--let alone non deadly force--is legal to defend life, limb (i.e., injury), and property.
--Jon
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Affection
I'm not aware of a state that allows you to defend property with deadly force. Many states do allow you to use deadly force against someone robbing your home, but the reason for that is it is assumed that someone in your home presents a danger to your life. If someone was, for example, stealing the mailbox off of your lawn, most (all?) states will not allow you to use deadly force (and generally, even the brandishing of a firearm without actually firing it counts) to stop that.
Actually several states have such laws, IIRC Utah, Texas, and Florida allow deadly force to be used in defense of property. There is a well known case in Texas.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Actually several states have such laws, IIRC Utah, Texas, and Florida allow deadly force to be used in defense of property. There is a well known case in Texas.
Google "Joe Horn"...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Affection

--Jon
Colorado has a thing called the "Make my day law". Allows homeowners, and IIRC, business owners to defend their home with deadly force
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:38 pm

Break-Away Egg?

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Colorado has a thing called the "Make my day law". Allows homeowners, and IIRC, business owners to defend their home with deadly force
Can't imagine a plastic egg as causing great injury -- espcially if it was a "break-away" egg Maybe because everything has been so serious lately I just found this funny. There is no humor in the U.S. anymore. Admittedly it isn't smart to pop a TSA screener on the head though I'm sure many people here have imagined it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.