FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Detection of contraband can be foiled in these systems (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1201603-detection-contraband-can-foiled-these-systems.html)

I'd Rather Walk Apr 3, 11 6:08 pm

Detection of contraband can be foiled in these systems

Ran into a friend who is a colege prof. and he told me about a peer reviewed (don't know what that means but he acted like it was a big deal) article that states the scanners won't see weapons or explosives on the side of the body or under rolls of fat. It was published in Oct. so may have been discussed here before but couldn't find it with a search. From the Journal of Transportation Security:

http://kochanski.org/gpk/misc/papers...arlson2010.pdf

PhlyingRPh Apr 3, 11 6:14 pm

Could someone please test this with say a slab of plasticine or dollar store blu tack please?

Wally Bird Apr 3, 11 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk (Post 16153761)
Ran into a friend who is a colege prof. and he told me about a peer reviewed (don't know what that means but he acted like it was a big deal) article that states the scanners won't see weapons or explosives on the side of the body or under rolls of fat.

Shhh, the emperor doesn't like it when you criticize his attire.

n4zhg Apr 3, 11 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 16153879)
Shhh, the emperor doesn't like it when you criticize his attire.

The "Emperor" can bite me.

ladytraveler Apr 3, 11 8:14 pm

I'd Rather Walk:

Ran into a friend who is a colege prof. and he told me about a peer reviewed (don't know what that means but he acted like it was a big deal) article
A peer-reviewed article means that before it was accepted for publication, the article was evaluated by a group of experts in the appropriate field.

Flaflyer Apr 3, 11 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ladytraveler (Post 16154256)
A peer-reviewed article means that before it was accepted for publication, the article was evaluated by a group of experts in the appropriate field.

Like the TSA's BDO program was peer-reviewed by the Clairvoyance Committee at Hogwarts. :D

HSVTSO Dean Apr 3, 11 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Like the TSA's BDO program was peer-reviewed by the Clairvoyance Committee at Hogwarts.

:D :D :D

FlyingUnderTheRadar Apr 4, 11 2:19 am

Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk (Post 16153761)
Ran into a friend who is a colege prof. and he told me about a peer reviewed [paper] (don't know what that means but he acted like it was a big deal)

A bit more on the peer review (think about a jury of your peers). In the academic world for research to be published it is typically reviewed by others (your peers) in the field to make sure the work complete and follows standard scientific research principles - most notable that the work can be reproduced.

One important part - being peer reviewed does not mean that the reviewers agree with the conclusion but that the work is a substantial body and should be published.

rmcy Apr 4, 11 3:46 am

What is the radiation dosefrom these things...I travel a lot and already get far too many mili slyverts (sp)? from radiation at 40,000 feet. When are these scanners going to be mandatory?

Pluma Apr 4, 11 7:50 am

That is why they hide behind SSI.
The pat downs, and nude O'scope all have weaknesses that the TSA does not want leaked out, so hide it with it being some BIG secret.

They really think people are that stupid, to see the HUGE gaping holes in every layer of security they claim to have?

It is NOT about security.

Boggie Dog Apr 4, 11 7:54 am

Originally Posted by rmcy (Post 16155585)
What is the radiation dosefrom these things...I travel a lot and already get far too many mili slyverts (sp)? from radiation at 40,000 feet. When are these scanners going to be mandatory?

That is a good question. TSA isn't telling and has not allowed independent testing.