Wiki Posts
Search

is no one opting out anymore??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
is no one opting out anymore??

I was scheduled to fly out of PHX late Friday night, and went through T4 A C/P. This was around 1030pm or so,they were sending pretty much everyone through the NoS,I was selected and opted out, the TSO made a comment that he hasnt done an opt out grope in a while. I ended up taking a VDB on my flight and came back at 7am to fly out. I went through the T4 B C/P this time and once again opted out. Anyway, I was the *only* one to opt out both times,people just willingly went through the NoS and didnt raise a stink about it. So back to my initial question, are people not opting out anymore?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Arizona.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:58 pm

As incomprehensible as it may be to some here, there are people who choose NOT to opt out. The privacy issues that bother many (me included) with the nude-o-scope are less worrisome for many than the 'hands on genitals' option of the opt-out.

Additionally the possible radiation risk is perceived by many to be so small that the indignity of a public feel-up is far worse for many infrequent travelers.

The opt-out is a choice, and opting out is a good way to make a statement and slow things down for the smurfs, but for many it is the worse feeling (pun intended) option of the two.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I keep opting out whenever the opportunity arises after being "selected" or ending up in a line that leads to a strip search machine. However, given the TSA is keeping the strip search machines turned off quite often when the airport screening checkpoints are busy, my opportunities to opt-out have been on the decline as I fly at busier times of the day/week.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PWM 22
The privacy issues that bother many (me included) with the nude-o-scope are less worrisome for many than the 'hands on genitals' option of the opt-out.

Additionally the possible radiation risk is perceived by many to be so small that the indignity of a public feel-up is far worse for many infrequent travelers.

The opt-out is a choice, and opting out is a good way to make a statement and slow things down for the smurfs, but for many it is the worse feeling (pun intended) option of the two.
True, even as going through the strip-search machines is no guarantee of the TSA not copping a feel anyway of passengers who submitted to the strip search machines.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I haven't had to opt out in quite awhile. But that's because I self opt-out by choosing wtmd lines vs.NoS lines.

There were more people in the WTMD lines at SLC than in the NoS lines today
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
I still always opt out, and make it clear that as a physician, my major objection is to the known cancer risk of radiation. I don't get so much of the "Oh it is safe" line after mentioning that I am an MD. I also make it clear that it is a privacy issue, equally important.

However, since I have been working in northern Arizona the past year. I now usually fly out of FLG (Flagstaff) instead of PHX. No N-O-S, WTMD only, generally more polite and professional TSA staff, with the local police very helpful whenever I have had a TSA problem.

I have notified both FLG and PHX airport authorities, as well as CO and US, of the reasons for my choices and how it affects the $$$ I contribute to their bottom lines.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I have managed to hit the WTMD since my one opt out a year ago. Only twice perhaps three times would I say I had a chance - but I got the every other person and I was the other. The rest of the time I self opted out.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:11 pm

There are people who have no idea what the machine is, don't realise that they are going through something different from the WTMD, and don't realise that they have a choice.

There are people who know that they will always alarm the WTMD and see the scanner as a 'better' option.

There are people who don't have any issue with privacy and/or safety concerns and see the scanner as a 'better' option.

There are people who think that the scanner is 'cool' and 'fun'. (Yes, I have heard that at several airports now)

There are those to whom the thought of being touched overrides any concerns they have about privacy or safety.

There are those who fly once or a few times a year who think that there is no 'big deal', that we are whingers, and that it is quicker to just go through the scanner.

I would suspect that of all the people listed above, most do not realise that the majority of those scanned still require resolution of anomalies. I know that TSA has not provided estimates but the German test estimates 75-90% require a physical check after being scanned.

Edited to add: keep in mind as well that while we and other very frequent flyers have the scanner issue near the top of mind, many people do not. They only think about airport security a few days or weeks or hours before they fly, and they not have paid any attention at all to news stories about TSA. It didn't impact them, so they didn't care.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
I have had fewer opportunities to opt-out. Between Nexus security lines for domestic (Canada) travel where they don't use NoS, self selecting the WTMD lines or the infamous stare-down with the screener (the "I dare you to select me" look), I haven't been directed towards an NoS this year.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I've opted out three times in 2011.. In 2010, I flew 152K miles without being groped by an Airport Security Screener

During my first groping, at SJC, they were sending all pax through the RapeScanner, while employees went through the WTMD I was the only one to opt-out, while going through the checkpoint at 5:30am

My second groping was at ORD. I posted about the b!tch who tried to send me through the RapeScanner. While waiting in line, three people had opted-out ^

Last groping was also at ORD, as they had the WTMD "closed", and were sending everybody through the RapeScanner. Lines were very long, but the clerk said it was because they were short-staffed One guy opted-out while I was there.

Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:54 pm

I haven't opted out since my first time because I've managed to get in WTMD-only lines and haven't been "selected" lately.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
I was stuck for over 12 hours yesterday at LAX due to Southwest cancellations..this resulted in my bouncing around between terminals trying to get a flight home. I went through security four times and had to OPT Out twice. No difficulties and the TSA guy that I spoke to said plenty of people Opt Out mostly for medical reasons.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Kenn Borek Lifetime, PC-Plat, Hyatt-Plat, Hooters: 79
Humans tend to have a short memory about things that are bad for them...

My gateway is a regional (GPT), and the backsplatter machines have been up for about 6 months, but once the hullabaloo died down about them they went into use full time. I've opted out the 6 times I've been through this year. The latest... the TSA guy looked at me like I was the a-hole and said:

TSA: "You know they're harmless, right?"
Me: "No, in fact, they are not harmless."
TSA: "It's no worse than using your cell phone."
Me: "My cellphone doesn't bombard my entire body with x-rays."
TSA: "Well, the levels are safe."
Me: "Maybe once or twice a year. I work with a radiation oncologist and he has proof to the contrary regarding long term exposure."
TSA: [TSA issue blank look]
TSA: [inappropriate groping session]
TSA: "Have a good day."
Me: "Thanks, call me sometime." [wink]
TSA: [TSA issue blank look]

I love that one...

OPT OUT 2011!!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by exbayern
There are those to whom the thought of being touched overrides any concerns they have about privacy or safety.
That's the camp I'm in. The thought of a stranger touching any part of my body is creepy enough to keep me from flying. And I'm totally not a prude. I'd be much more comfortable with the NOS and if it weren't for the x-ray and the fact that I have kids to consider I most likely never would have given it 2 thoughts. But having the kids forced me to think about it and realize that it's the ultimate in intrusive.

BTW, Amtrak to Florida in July for 3, $1900, vs. $900 to fly. Yay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.