Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Smurf: "No one wants to see your sorry @ss naked!"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smurf: "No one wants to see your sorry @ss naked!"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Not being a frequent flier, I think I see things from a slightly different perspective. I fly about once or twice per year, always out of BWI.

Since TSA's creation in 2001, I had almost entirely satisfactory experiences at the CPs. Nothing really stood out, other than my general resentment at the invasiveness, failure rate, etc. of the agency's official policies and procedures.

My last flight was September of 2010. The NoS had been added to BWI since my previous flight in Oct 2009, but thanks to my reading sites like FT, I was aware of and prepared for the new procedures.

What I was not prepared for was the complete change in attitude and demeanor in the TSA staff at the CPs.

Prior to Sept 2010, I had not been exposed to surly, belligerent, or abusive TSO. In fact, I had had several very positive, friendly conversations with TSOs, and all of them whom I encountered at the CPs were, if not friendly, at least professional and courteous, and efficient. Not so in 2010.

All TSOs I encountered in 2010 had scowls on their faces. None were the least bit friendly or helpful. All of them barked orders at pax, with a belligerence that I found intimidating, disturbing, and infuriating.

I approached the security line with boarding pass and ID in hand, ready. I smiled and said, "Good morning" to the TSO at the podium, in a casual but friendly manner. She scowled at me and said, "Boardin' pass and ID." No "Morning" back, no "Please", just a demand. I held them up, and she snatched them out of my hand sharply, wrinkling the paper of the BP. She pulled the two documents apart so one was in each hand, looked at them as she was supposed to, then pushed them back at me without a word, or even a glance at my face (I guess it's not SOP to look at the pic on the license to see if it matches the face of the pax, as long as the names match it's "secure"). As I was heading to the belt, I heard her comment to another TSO who was standing at her post with her, "I hate those g-d damn paper boarding passes, I wish they wouldn't allow 'em." Why she hated them, I don't know.

I put my things on the belt to be x-rayed - carry-on bag, laptop (in a bin by itself), shoes. I was about to remove my belt, but the male TSO at the belt was telling people to leave their belts on, so I left mine on. I have left it on before and it didn't alarm the WTMD, so I wasn't concerned; I only removed it because I've been told to do so in the past, and thought it was standard procedure.

The TSO at the WTMD was repeating, over and over, "Take EVERYTHING out of your pockets, make sure your pockets are COMPLETELY empty of EVERYTHING." A passenger a few ahead of me in the line made the mistake of putting his stuff down and walking ahead to the WTMD. The TSO at the WTMD told him, with attitude, "STOP. Get back there. You wait for your stuff to go into the machine before you move ahead, understand?"

Of course, the WTMD alarmed on almost everybody due to the belt buckles, so pretty much everybody had to go to secondary screening. I won't be making that mistake next time; the belt comes off and goes into the bin with my shoes, as it has in the past.

I chose the NoS, because I will flat out, no holds barred, 100% under any circumstances REFUSE to allow anyone to put their hands on my body without permission, so no opt-out pat-down for me.

When I got into the NoS, I failed to put my feet precisely on the drawings. The female TSO manning the NoS barked, "PUT your feet ON the outlines, NOW!" Which I did, and get through the NoS without alarming. Of course, since she was done with me, she didn't bother actually speaking to me any more, she simply waved me past dismissively toward the bottom of the belt to wait for my belongings.

This experience differed so radically from my previous experiences that I was floored. I was prepared for the NoS, I was even prepared if I were 'randomly' selected for a pat-down after the NoS (I had no fear of alarming it, as my pockets were empty and I had nothing on my that could have alarmed it). I was not prepared for the complete turn-around in attitude and behavior of the TSOs manning the CP, as compared to my last flight about a year prior.

I'll be better prepared next time for the attitude. I won't be adversarial, but at least the belligerence and contempt I felt from the last batch, if repeated, won't shake me up as much as it did last year.

They really did seem like the same surly idiots who work at McDonalds these days.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I'd like to thank the OP for wearing the Tee shirt described, and my take away from his experience is that perhaps carrying some item that is by itself not particularly outrageous, but that results in someone who is perhaps having a bad day or who is easily excited is perhaps an effective way to cause TSO's to stand up to their bosses or sabotage existing processes in order to elicit positive change.

It could be something as simple as an organized day of passing water. I envisage a day where all of those opposed to the TSA carry an old plastic water bottle filled with water in our bags. After seeing the 20th person during the morning rush hour doing this, it's reasonable to assume that a melt down is entirely possible.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I was even prepared if I were 'randomly' selected for a pat-down after the NoS (I had no fear of alarming it, as my pockets were empty and I had nothing on my that could have alarmed it). I was not prepared for the complete turn-around in attitude and behavior of the TSOs manning the CP, as compared to my last flight about a year prior.
I sympathize, it's really no way to treat other people, and if the Agency really wants the public on their side, treating you like that-and the rest of us, isn't winning any points. Of course they don't really care about public opinion.

One thing i'd like to point out is, you don't necessarily have to set off the alarm to be pulled aside for an enhance pat down. You could be selected "randomly," for reasons so secret, they cannot tell you, or all the way to someone has taken a shine to you or or belongings, and so forth.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
BWI is my home airport and has to be among the five worst in terms of TSA attitude.

The screeners are unprofessional, rude and sometimes outright abusive. Prior to 2011, I flew approximately 35 weeks/year and thought they were nasty then. Pier D is undoubtedly the worst since the angular configuration hides them from view from both the terminal and gate concourse.

Now I simply will not fly out of BWI on an airline based on Pier D. Piers A & B are both WN but are in plain view and they tend to behave a little bit better. Piers A, B & D are NoS, C and D are WTMD and also in plain view. The fares might be a few dollars more but you can get anywhere you need to using the pier C airlines, AA, DL and JBU. I prefer that to putting up with the antics of the pier D thugs.

Based on the description of the incident you may be able to file a local assault complaint separate from any complaints to TSA (useless), the airline, DHS OIG, EPIC, ACLU and your Member of Congress.

BWI is in Anne Arundel County, MD. The local police contact for assault is Criminal Investigation Unit - Crownsville - (410) 222-3566. http://www.aacounty.org/Police/emergencyNum.cfm

This is almost certainly a long shot but may be worth the call considering the language and aggressive nature of the screener, not to mention 1st Amendment violation. This is conduct clearly outside of their prescribed role so they wouldn't necessarily have immunity anymore than a screener who beat a passenger or murdered someone at the checkpoint.

If your complaint has no basis they'll tell you, so the only cost is the phone call.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Too bad no one had a video camera handy - I can imagine the exposure this would get on youtube.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by FaustsAccountant
I sympathize, it's really no way to treat other people, and if the Agency really wants the public on their side, treating you like that-and the rest of us, isn't winning any points. Of course they don't really care about public opinion.

One thing i'd like to point out is, you don't necessarily have to set off the alarm to be pulled aside for an enhance pat down. You could be selected "randomly," for reasons so secret, they cannot tell you, or all the way to someone has taken a shine to you or or belongings, and so forth.
Yes, I'm aware of that, and it's my greatest fear when flying, because I will absolutely NOT submit to a pat-down. So I have done everything I can to ensure that I won't be selected for a pat-down for cause, such as alarming the NoS, but I'm still frightened that I'll get selected randomly - because then the gloves come off, as it were, and I will no longer be Mr. Friendly Cooperative Passenger, I will be Mr. P.O. Refusal To Cooperate Guy.

No way any of them are putting their hands on my person. No way.

Originally Posted by Fisher1949
BWI is my home airport and has to be among the five worst in terms of TSA attitude.

The screeners are unprofessional, rude and sometimes outright abusive. Prior to 2011, I flew approximately 35 weeks/year and thought they were nasty then. Pier D is undoubtedly the worst since the angular configuration hides them from view from both the terminal and gate concourse.

Now I simply will not fly out of BWI on an airline based on Pier D. Piers A & B are both WN but are in plain view and they tend to behave a little bit better. Piers A, B & D are NoS, C and D are WTMD and also in plain view. The fares might be a few dollars more but you can get anywhere you need to using the pier C airlines, AA, DL and JBU. I prefer that to putting up with the antics of the pier D thugs.

Based on the description of the incident you may be able to file a local assault complaint separate from any complaints to TSA (useless), the airline, DHS OIG, EPIC, ACLU and your Member of Congress.

BWI is in Anne Arundel County, MD. The local police contact for assault is Criminal Investigation Unit - Crownsville - (410) 222-3566. http://www.aacounty.org/Police/emergencyNum.cfm

This is almost certainly a long shot but may be worth the call considering the language and aggressive nature of the screener, not to mention 1st Amendment violation. This is conduct clearly outside of their prescribed role so they wouldn't necessarily have immunity anymore than a screener who beat a passenger or murdered someone at the checkpoint.

If your complaint has no basis they'll tell you, so the only cost is the phone call.
I neglected to mention that my experience happened at the Pier A CP. I always fly WN, so I always go through the Pier A or B CPs; perhaps this is why I hadn't had any disagreeable experiences up until 2010.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Fisher1949

That's an interesting thought. I'm an Anne Arundel County resident do that might help some too with the cops.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The fact that other Airport Security Screeners stand around and allow this stuff to happen shows the lack of character of TSA employees.
It shows their approval of his actions.

Would anyone else on this board who interfaces in any way with a customer/client at work stand by and watch a fellow employee treat the customer/client like this?

At least one TSO reported that he/she brings the issue up with the TSO 'later'. There are a couple problems with that.

1) It in no way makes the experience better for the pax being treated unprofessionally.

2) It clearly sends a message to the pax being mistreated as well as all other pax observing the activity that all TSOs standing by and watching consider this acceptable behavior.

Any professional knows there is a way to intervene and take control of a bad situation from an out-of-control employee. Doing anything less is sanctioning the behavior.

I am curious if there is ever a point at which a TSO would bother to step in and prevent/divert unprofessional behavior? We know that they routinely stand by and observe theft and say nothing. We know they (in this instance as well as others) routinely ignore verbal abuse. We know they stood by in BUF and watched as a BDO enabled pax to bypass the NoS and even the TDC. We know they routinely let offensive, inflammatory and misinformed posts by their (real or alleged) employees stand unchallenged on the TSA blog as well as on this forum.

Would an apologetic 'talk to them later' TSO stand by if, by chance, a member of their own family/community/church showed up at the checkpoint and got unprofessional 'handling'?

It is ironic that an organization that preaches "See something, say something" employs so many employees who "see something" all the time and yet never "say something".
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I am curious if there is ever a point at which a TSO would bother to step in and prevent/divert unprofessional behavior? We know that they routinely stand by and observe theft and say nothing. We know they (in this instance as well as others) routinely ignore verbal abuse. We know they stood by in BUF and watched as a BDO enabled pax to bypass the NoS and even the TDC. We know they routinely let offensive, inflammatory and misinformed posts by their (real or alleged) employees stand unchallenged on the TSA blog as well as on this forum.
In the interest of fair and non-biased reporting, I must state that at EWR once another TSO did call a supervisor to intervene based on how a colleague was attempting to screen me.

For all that EWR is often the seventh circle of Hell, I was surprised that someone did stand up for me and that a supervisor did listen and respond positively to what I had to say. I'm not willing to do a long term test on EWR however to see if things improve.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by exbayern
In the interest of fair and non-biased reporting, I must state that at EWR once another TSO did call a supervisor to intervene based on how a colleague was attempting to screen me.

For all that EWR is often the seventh circle of Hell, I was surprised that someone did stand up for me and that a supervisor did listen and respond positively to what I had to say. I'm not willing to do a long term test on EWR however to see if things improve.
^^ to the TSO who summoned the supervisor and ^ to the supervisor for not automatically taking the side of the first TSO.

It makes it clear to you, the passenger, as well as any other pax or TSOs observing the incident, that what was happening was not SOP and was not appropriate.

I believe it can be done in a positive way that sends the correct message to the TSO and pax involved, as well as any other TSOs or pax observing what's going on. I have intervened myself when a colleague was acting inappropriately to a client (whether through attitude or ignorance, didn't matter).

Any TSO who stands by and doesn't step in has no right to complain if he/she shares the anger and contempt generated by his/her co-worker's actions.

What's sad is that you (or I or anyone else) should be surprised when events happen this way. It should be the norm, not the exception.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
I chose the NoS, because I will flat out, no holds barred, 100% under any circumstances REFUSE to allow anyone to put their hands on my body without permission, so no opt-out pat-down for me.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, good one!

TSA will grope you *after* you've been radiated in the NoS. Seriously; my home airport is ATL and I constantly see people being felt-up right after leaving the Nude-o-Scopes.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, good one!

TSA will grope you *after* you've been radiated in the NoS. Seriously; my home airport is ATL and I constantly see people being felt-up right after leaving the Nude-o-Scopes.
And using the German test as an indication, estimates are that 75-90% of those scanned must still have a resolution search to find the anomaly.

Choosing the AIT is no guarantee of not being physically searched, nor does it seem to significantly reduce the chances of not receiving a physical search. The infrequent flyer may be able to avoid a physical search if lucky on the rare days they fly, but chances are a more regular flyer using the AIT will still find themselves searched, especially as one of the triggers is as simple as layers of clothing.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
And using the German test as an indication, estimates are that 75-90% of those scanned must still have a resolution search to find the anomaly.

Choosing the AIT is no guarantee of not being physically searched, nor does it seem to significantly reduce the chances of not receiving a physical search. The infrequent flyer may be able to avoid a physical search if lucky on the rare days they fly, but chances are a more regular flyer using the AIT will still find themselves searched, especially as one of the triggers is as simple as layers of clothing.
I do everything I can to assure that I won't alarm the AIT scanner. I wear simple, non-bulky clothing, empty my pockets entirely, and don't wear any jewelry or other items that might be unclear on the scanner and cause an alarm.

I understand that choosing the AIT is no guarantee of not being selected for a physical search.

I understand that I may be selected for a random pat-down even if I do not alarm the WTMD or the AIT scanner.

IF I alarm the AIT scanner and am told that I must undergo a pat-down, I will categorically refuse the pat-down.

IF I am chosen for a pat-down after having been cleared by both the WTMD and the AIT scanner, I will categorically refuse the pat-down.

I understand that said refusal will prevent me from flying that day.

I also understand that it is my right to refuse said pat-down and leave the airport.

If any TSO attempt to physically restrain me, he will be guilty of unlawful restraint; if any TSO attempts to force me to submit to a pat-down, he will then be guilty of assault. In any such case, I will not only defend myself and immediately call the LEOs in the terminal (at BWI that's Maryland Transportation Authority Police, btw), but I will prosecute any TSO who assaults or illegally restrains me to the fullest extent of the law.

I will also file a lawsuit against the TSA for provoking such an assault with its un-Constitutional policies, incomplete and inconsistent training of TSOs, and lack of clear explanations to the general public about those policies. I understand that such a lawsuit has small chance of success, but I'll file it anyway.

As you can see, I've put some thought into this, despite the fact that I am an infrequent flier. I am a law-abiding citizen, I do not cause trouble, and I cooperate with TSA when I go through the CP. But there must be a line somewhere. I have chosen to draw that line at physical contact - I will NOT allow physical contact with my person by TSOs. Period. If that prevents me from flying, I will accept that consequence. If that puts me in jail, I will challenge that consequence in court, through legal means. But I will NOT accept unwanted physical contact from TSOs or anyone else.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:15 pm

I do everything I can to assure that I won't alarm the AIT scanner. I wear simple, non-bulky clothing, empty my pockets entirely, and don't wear any jewelry or other items that might be unclear on the scanner and cause an alarm.

I understand that choosing the AIT is no guarantee of not being selected for a physical search.

I understand that I may be selected for a random pat-down even if I do not alarm the WTMD or the AIT scanner.

IF I alarm the AIT scanner and am told that I must undergo a pat-down, I will categorically refuse the pat-down.

IF I am chosen for a pat-down after having been cleared by both the WTMD and the AIT scanner, I will categorically refuse the pat-down.

I understand that said refusal will prevent me from flying that day.

I also understand that it is my right to refuse said pat-down and leave the airport.

If any TSO attempt to physically restrain me, he will be guilty of unlawful restraint; if any TSO attempts to force me to submit to a pat-down, he will then be guilty of assault. In any such case, I will not only defend myself and immediately call the LEOs in the terminal (at BWI that's Maryland Transportation Authority Police, btw), but I will prosecute any TSO who assaults or illegally restrains me to the fullest extent of the law.

I will also file a lawsuit against the TSA for provoking such an assault with its un-Constitutional policies, incomplete and inconsistent training of TSOs, and lack of clear explanations to the general public about those policies. I understand that such a lawsuit has small chance of success, but I'll file it anyway.

As you can see, I've put some thought into this, despite the fact that I am an infrequent flier. I am a law-abiding citizen, I do not cause trouble, and I cooperate with TSA when I go through the CP. But there must be a line somewhere. I have chosen to draw that line at physical contact - I will NOT allow physical contact with my person by TSOs. Period. If that prevents me from flying, I will accept that consequence. If that puts me in jail, I will challenge that consequence in court, through legal means. But I will NOT accept unwanted physical contact from TSOs or anyone else.
^^^^^^
WillCAD

I am with you, 110% about the 'no physical contact'.

Re: AIT
I'm not inclined to go through a machine that hasn't been fully tested, plus how does one know it was calibrated properly...

I really don't like being barked/yelled/ordered around either...I'd be inclined to give them the death glare, or ignore them.... guess ignoring somebody on a power trip just gets their goat

<edit>

I just thought of something.... maybe if I do get on a plane anytime soon, the things that will go into the little bowl will be my pair of hearing aids....
I'm deaf without 'em, and it will make ignoring the smurfs even easier
---
yautjalady

Last edited by yautjalady; Apr 2, 2011 at 9:17 pm Reason: added a ploy
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:27 pm

I understand your feelings, and that you are doing everything you can to prepare. Just be aware that you can do everything possible, everything 'right', and still find yourself at the mercy of a TSO who may want to write their own rules that day, or thinks that you have the wrong colour eyes that day, or that you are the 'random' person who walked through the WTMD at 230pm and the sheet says that the person at 230pm gets a full pat down vs just a shoe swab.

No matter what you do, you cannot be certain that you won't find yourself at the mercy of some whim. Factor in that the AIT causes false positives from simply a layer of clothing, and the chances increase that you may have a pat down.

I used to think that somehow passengers must be bringing some of this onto themselves. I no longer believe that. Like you I saw the tenor change in 2010 at the checkpoints I transited (and I passed through more US checkpoints than ever last year)

No matter how hard you try, no matter how much you prepare, you may find yourself in that bad spot where many of us have now been. I truly hope that on your rare trips you manage to pass with no issue at all, but I also want to be honest that it may not go as you hope and plan.

Best of luck on future trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.