Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Boarding Futility: Please put laptop in bag to walk through the door.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold

So, boarding a delayed flight. Have been working on my laptop in the boarding area on my cellular modem. Boarding is called. I proceed to board. I am carrying my carry-on, my backpack for my laptop, and as I intend to continue to work on my laptop once I board, my laptop, with the active USB modem sticking out the USB port.

A gentleman comes over to the boarding GA who scans my boarding pass and waves three fingers at her, at which point she says that in order to board, I must put my laptop in my laptop bag because I am only allowed 2 carry-on items instead of three. I say "You're kidding, right?" to which she replies (politely but firmly) "You'll just need to put the laptop in the bag when you walk through the door as TSA is here." (I didn't note any particular evidence one way or the other that the gentleman with the three fingers was TSA.)

So I step aside just past the scanner, open my laptop bag enough to put the laptop in sticking out, walk through the jetbridge doorway, take the laptop back out of the bag, and proceed down the jetway.

Really?

That was productive. (I know, no less productive than this post, but this is more.. fun.)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Shame the TSA cannot be present at all gates - although I grant that this particular instance was petty. However, if UA enforced carry-on restrictions, then boarding would be much faster and there would be more space and less stress all round.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Gold
...since when does TSA enforce FAA rules? Well, with their track record, I shouldn't laugh too hard
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
"Bureaucrat Conrad, you are technically correct -- the best kind of correct."

Maybe they were gunning for a promotion?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
So, boarding a delayed flight. Have been working on my laptop in the boarding area on my cellular modem. Boarding is called. I proceed to board. I am carrying my carry-on, my backpack for my laptop, and as I intend to continue to work on my laptop once I board, my laptop, with the active USB modem sticking out the USB port.

A gentleman comes over to the boarding GA who scans my boarding pass and waves three fingers at her, at which point she says that in order to board, I must put my laptop in my laptop bag because I am only allowed 2 carry-on items instead of three. I say "You're kidding, right?" to which she replies (politely but firmly) "You'll just need to put the laptop in the bag when you walk through the door as TSA is here." (I didn't note any particular evidence one way or the other that the gentleman with the three fingers was TSA.)

So I step aside just past the scanner, open my laptop bag enough to put the laptop in sticking out, walk through the jetbridge doorway, take the laptop back out of the bag, and proceed down the jetway.

Really?

That was productive. (I know, no less productive than this post, but this is more.. fun.)
While I can appreciate your position (the net result was the exact same). IMhO, this just makes life easier for the GA for the reaminder of boarding.

For example, right behind you is someone with items that cannot be consolidated. They could respond with: "but you let them take 3 items"

FWIW, I recall a similar thread about having a coat.... over your shoulder... its an additional item. Wearing it is not.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: United 2P
Always annoying when a lack of common sense gets in the way
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:44 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mintirish
Always annoying when a lack of common sense gets in the way
Annoying when your industry is regulated, yet people don't seem to believe the regulations apply to them.

Simple concept, amazing how many people cannot comprehend 1 carry on, 1 personal item. There are a few exceptions (assistive devices, food to be consumed onboard,) but the need to have a portable office in addition to the maximum number of carry on items is not one of the exceptions.

Where do you think the CSR should enforce the rules, out of their sight on the plane, or at the door where the agent (as well as regulators) can see?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fastair
Annoying when your industry is regulated, yet people don't seem to believe the regulations apply to them.

Simple concept, amazing how many people cannot comprehend 1 carry on, 1 personal item. There are a few exceptions (assistive devices, food to be consumed onboard,) but the need to have a portable office in addition to the maximum number of carry on items is not one of the exceptions.

Where do you think the CSR should enforce the rules, out of their sight on the plane, or at the door where the agent (as well as regulators) can see?
Really!??? Come that is Crap. You can't use common sense at all?

I don't care how many items you have, as long as they can be consolidated into two bags that don't exceed the limits, then why not a portable office. It's not like passengers should be thankful just for letting them ride your plane. They paid for and in turn paid your salary, so why treat people like that when it will only drive them to other airlines?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The issue is not IF they can be consolidated, but ARE they consolidated when you go through.

It's a fairly simple process. Count the things you are carrying. If it's over one carry on and one personal item, then you need to consolidate them to board or go through security. If it's under, you don't.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
FWIW, I recall a similar thread about having a coat.... over your shoulder... its an additional item. Wearing it is not.
I carry a coat/jacket on all the time and never had a problem. Nor have I had any problems with a bag of food/drink or reading material outside of my carry on bag. Maybe other airlines consider a coat to be counted towards your personal item but UA does not. According to the website:
The following personal items are not counted toward your one bag and one personal item limit:

* Assistive devices (canes, crutches, etc.)
* Child safety seats for ticketed children
* Infant restraint devices (infant seat with or without stroller, front pouch or back carrier)
* Outer garments (coats, hats, etc.)
* Reading material (a reasonable amount)
* Umbrellas (one per passenger)
* Food and beverages to be consumed onboard
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:16 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by calvink669
Really!??? Come that is Crap. You can't use common sense at all?

I don't care how many items you have, as long as they can be consolidated into two bags that don't exceed the limits, then why not a portable office. It's not like passengers should be thankful just for letting them ride your plane. They paid for and in turn paid your salary, so why treat people like that when it will only drive them to other airlines?
Does that logic work with the TSA when you try to bring water thru, saying you will pour it out before you board (or drink it)?

So you feel that airlines should not follow federal regulations, as long as they think they can justify the rule breakage in their own minds?

Your arguement is what is crap. The rules are there, they are not even UA's rules, but federal rules. Besides, my salary is paid by UA. UA prohibits me taking money for myself from any customer, so that arguement holds about as much water as your other ones (and water that can't be beought in at that!)

Noone is asking for thanks, we are asking (requiring) you to follow the rules. Just becuase you pay money for a service that comes with restrictions, doesn't mean you get to choose which restrictions you will follow. Pay your money for a service with stated restrictions, and follow those restrictions. That is usually how it works in this world.

If you want to follow your own rules, then drice, but alas, there are rules there too, such as operating while intoxicated, open containers of liquor, speed limits, and yes, even restrictions on what must/must not be on your car (signal lights must be on, windown tinting beyond a certain point must not.) Cry that you pay tax dollars for the use of the roads and the rules shouldn't apply to you...it is an arguement of a fool.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Doubt it was TSA.. Sounds like FAA. Departing one of my normal stations last week, GA told me that the FAA was enforcing the two-bag rule at all stations. She had me put my camera bag inside my roller-board, even though I was gate-checking my roller-board (RJ), and would only have two bags on-board..
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:30 pm

I'm betting it was an airport contract employee. Certainly not TSA. Hired to take the heat off the GA and FAs for enforcing the "rule."
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Ironically, TSA materials and "see something, see something" campaigns tell the traveling public that wearing an amount of clothing that's inappropriate for the ambient climate and/or sweating should be considered suspicious (I know I'd sweat pretty quickly if I wore any coat in the gate area or to board).

Don't wear your coat, you're afoul of FAA regs.

Wear your coat, you're a potential terrorist.

Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:16 pm

Between this thread and the ones regarding the zip lock bag, sexual assault victim, and the FAA air ATC tower operator, I am reminded of a scene from the movie "Quick Change".

Bill Murray: “We wanna get on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway.”
Road Worker1: “What?”
BM: “The BQE.”
Road Worker2: “Wow, you know, jeez, we don't know where that is.”
Woman in window: “Shut up!”
Road Worker1: “Hey, you shut up!”
Woman in window: “Shut up!”
Road Worker2: “Shut up! Shut up!”
BM: “Let's just walk through this, okay? Does that sign say BQE?”
Road Worker1: “Yeah.”
BM: “Okay, so which way was the arrow pointing?”
Road Worker1: “That was an hour ago. That witch ain't stopped screaming the whole time.”
Road Worker2: “She even had her baby screaming at us.”
BM: “Let me try this, will you be putting up a new sign?”
Road Worker1: “Not today. Today's just taking $hit down.”
BM: “Can you tell us anything? The names of a street, any street? The directions: North, south?”
Road Worker2: “It's not our neighborhood.”
Geena Davis: “Honey, babe. You've got a gun. Shoot them.”
BM: “I want to, but they're fur-bearing. I'd need some kind of permit, wouldn't I?”
BM: “Thanks, guys. You could've given us help, but you've given us so much more.”
Road Worker1: “Hey, that's what we're here for, right?”
BM: “I'm glad this happened. It's another little reminder of why we pulled this thing. You know what their problem is? They live here, that's all. But we don't. Not anymore.

Like Bill Murray and Geena Davis in that movie, all of this makes me think I should just move out of the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.