Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

No wonder Pistole and Napolitano want more headcount

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No wonder Pistole and Napolitano want more headcount

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:31 am

This made me want to throw up. TSA Spokesholes can say all they want about "for your safety" this is nothing but a BS Powertrip.

I wish the guy would have kept the camera up and running to capture the faces of those who were obstructing the process, wasting time, and clearly unconcerned with safety and more concerned about their power being threatened.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: UA AA DL US HH
Originally Posted by Caradoc
And that covers both categories of TSA employees - evil, or stupid. Pick one.
Evil or stupid? Well, consider that we have effectively only two political parties in the USA. The Evil Party and the Stupid Party. Whichever one you tend to support is invariably the Stupid Party and the other one is the Evil Party. (Gee, does that definition seem to make it hard to tell the difference?)

Consider that TSA was created by an overwhelming majority in Congress (votes of 100-0 and 410-9). Any legislation with such a high level of consensus must therefore be both evil AND stupid.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RocketHokie
Any legislation with such a high level of consensus must therefore be both evil AND stupid.
I'd note that the two sets are not mutually exclusive. Also, "created" and "failed to set reasonable limits of authority" aren't the same thing.

I can't help but look at the TSA and ponder on the problem raised by the Sorcerer's Apprentice.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PTravel
What was shown on that video is, I strongly suspect, a prima facie First Amendment violation. If it had happened to me, I probably would have initiated a lawsuit (I'm not putting down the guy who shot the video -- as a lawyer, I have relatively easy and inexpensive access to the courts. Non-lawyers do not.).
I'm sending a letter to my Congressman and Senators, and asking them to watch this video. Probably futile, but it will make me feel better.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm betting TSA HQ knows about this and no corrective actions will be taken against the individual screeners, the TSA managers at this airport nor anywhere else within TSA.

Just how corrupt can an agency get before corrective action is taken.
I'd also bet that the cctv video at the checkpoint mysteriously disappears. Does Rose Mary Woods work for the TSA?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc
"Wow?" Is that the response you were looking at?
[QUOTE "For the rest? Wow.

Just... wow."
[/QUOTE]

This is what I was referring to. I took it to mean he was not any more satisfied about the ATL TSA response than any of the rest of us.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyless
This is what I was referring to. I took it to mean he was not any more satisfied about the ATL TSA response than any of the rest of us.
I could wish he had been more explicit, as the response is ambiguous as to whether he's talking about the behavior of the cameraman (which could have been better, but I can't say I would have been less rude than he while a bunch of blue-shirted manatees blocked my view as they groped her) or that of the TSA employees.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:07 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by flyless
I don't defend the TSA but don't blame Dean for this one. He gave an honest and appropriate response to this.
Exactly right ^. I have said this many times before and have thanked many of our resident TSO's both publicly and privately for their insight & advice ^ but also to tell them that it is (at least for me) their employer that I have issues with and not them.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:33 am

I dont blame the TSA for what happened here, I blame the man holding the camera for allowing it to happen.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
Exactly right ^. I have said this many times before and have thanked many of our resident TSO's both publicly and privately for their insight & advice ^ but also to tell them that it is (at least for me) their employer that I have issues with and not them.
The point of my comment up thread was to draw attention to Dean that he belongs to this group and it is the group who is damaging the others. No matter how hard he works at putting a good face on TSA it will never help as long as others are being destructive.

I'm sure he realizes this fact but until the good TSA employees step up and take control of the bad TSA employees these kinds of things will continue to happen.

Even in this example the person in the suit (TSM?) did nothing to alleviate the problem and allowed TSA employees to block the filming of the screening. This person is definitely part of the problem as was the female screener and all of the other screeners trying to block the camera.

This is TSA!

If you don't like how they operate then find something else to so. Being part of the group is complacent acceptance!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Saitek
I dont blame the TSA for what happened here, I blame the man holding the camera for allowing it to happen.
I thought about blaming the man's wife. I thought about asking, "Why didn't she stop the mauling until her "chosen observer" was able to observe?"

Then I decided to blame Mr. Obama. He's the head of our Executive Branch, right? He's responsible for how his subordinates behave, all the way down the chain.

I don't think we should blame citizens. It's a horrible betrayal, when your own community turns on you. When you can be abused in plain view by a government official and no one speaks up, it's an enormous betrayal.

No wonder the Jews shuffled on board the trains. It must have seemed like a bad dream.

Humans are social animals. We don't quite know what to do when our entire society seems to turn on us. No social animal does. It's almost as if the "self" is erased when this happens.

Last edited by ElizabethConley; Mar 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The point of my comment up thread was to draw attention to Dean that he belongs to this group and it is the group who is damaging the others. No matter how hard he works at putting a good face on TSA it will never help as long as others are being destructive.

I'm sure he realizes this fact but until the good TSA employees step up and take control of the bad TSA employees these kinds of things will continue to happen.

Even in this example the person in the suit (TSM?) did nothing to alleviate the problem and allowed TSA employees to block the filming of the screening. This person is definitely part of the problem as was the female screener and all of the other screeners trying to block the camera.

This is TSA!

If you don't like how they operate then find something else to so. Being part of the group is complacent acceptance!
So we agree to disagree and bolding mine: as to this part, I'll play devil's advocate.....can you name anyone who does not have, let's just say, one issue with what there employer does? My two hockey pucks are that there are TSA employees who too their job simply to ride the gravy train of "government work" and are useless as t!ts on a bull , there are those who took the job because they thought they "could do some good" and actually do their job well and there are those that simply took a job with the TSA because they need a job. Hell, I've been out of work for 3 years and if I was offered a job with the TSA, given my current financial situation, I would take it. Would I hate my employer? Youbetcha but would I do my job well? Youbetcha redux. What I'm trying to say is while there are some of our resident TSO's who do nothing more than show the flag, remind us of 9/11 and simply "stir it up" for no other reason than because this is after all "the good ole redneck US-of-A and all Muslims are evil" but there are also some of our resident TSO's who are in fact helpful and perhaps I misinterpreted your post but that's why I made my above comment.
Originally Posted by Saitek
Huh?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
So we agree to disagree and bolding mine: as to this part, I'll play devil's advocate.....can you name anyone who does not have, let's just say, one issue with what there employer does? My two hockey pucks are that there are TSA employees who too their job simply to ride the gravy train of "government work" and are useless as t!ts on a bull , there are those who took the job because they thought they "could do some good" and actually do their job well and there are those that simply took a job with the TSA because they need a job. Hell, I've been out of work for 3 years and if I was offered a job with the TSA, given my current financial situation, I would take it. Would I hate my employer? Youbetcha but would I do my job well? Youbetcha redux. What I'm trying to say is while there are some of our resident TSO's who do nothing more than show the flag, remind us of 9/11 and simply "stir it up" for no other reason than because this is after all "the good ole redneck US-of-A and all Muslims are evil" but there are also some of our resident TSO's who are in fact helpful and perhaps I misinterpreted your post but that's why I made my above comment.
Huh?
I don't believe that front line TSA employees can bring the kind of change needed within TSA.

I do believe that a great many TSA employees are fine and decent people, yet they have been given a task that is not fine and decent, at least according to the way the reports say how that task is being carried out.

I understand the issues of not having a job but there are times when having a job is not the most important fact.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
from that first angle the guy was standing at, you could see the x-ray screens (2:46)
I've yet to hear a credible reason why that matters.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I've yet to hear a credible reason why that matters.
Looking at the video at 2:46 I don't see anything that could compromise TSA security.

What am I missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.