ATL TSA didn't let me keep an eye on my bags

Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Make a verbal demand, louder each time until they stop the belt or let you through. Loudly demand a supervisor. Stand in the way of other folks so they can't go around you - basically stop the line from moving.

Don't editorialize or call names, just state more and more loudly until you're yelling that you can't see your stuff, that you MUST see your stuff, and that it's policy that you be able to see your stuff.

It WILL get attention.

File a complaint, but expect no action. I got no response to my complaint about the same thing to either TSA or my elected representative (occurred at LAX last week, no response as of today).
This is what I do. It gets attention quickly. Surprisingly, it has not created a noticeable retaliation either. But, YMMV. I do not file the complaint. I try to avoid doing things that waste my time.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:11 pm

Update on this strategy at DCA tonight:

I had my things on the table ready to go through the machine and asked the clerk where he was sending me. He pointed at the backscatter so I told him nicely I was opting out and I'd wait on this side until the female assist was available.

I do believe they made me wait to punish me but I didn't care. Finally got through with my things and got the groping over with.

Oddly enough, this grope also included the bottoms of my feet. We don't get that at BOS or at least not at the Delta terminal.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by edj3
Update on this strategy at DCA tonight:

I had my things on the table ready to go through the machine and asked the clerk where he was sending me. He pointed at the backscatter so I told him nicely I was opting out and I'd wait on this side until the female assist was available.

I do believe they made me wait to punish me but I didn't care. Finally got through with my things and got the groping over with.

Oddly enough, this grope also included the bottoms of my feet. We don't get that at BOS or at least not at the Delta terminal.
As in all things TSA...YMMV!!

Just out of curiousity, what exactly did they grope? Breasts? Wasteband? "Resistance"?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Just out of curiousity, what exactly did they grope? Breasts? Wasteband? "Resistance"?
Lately--as in the last four weeks--every grope has been quite firm, all have involved the neckband of my shirt (I deliberately did NOT say collar because a tee shirt doesn't have one and yes, that's been checked too), most definitely waistband of my pants, circling my breasts . . . really it would be far shorter to say every inch of my body gets touched, including my hair (which is cut in a short bob).

This was the first time my feet got thoroughly groped and I felt vindicated in having had her change her gloves.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by trvlr64
One of these days someone is just going to have to basically ignore the TSO and go stand next to your items on the luggage belt until they can "find" someone to pat us down.

When are we going to start demanding that we stop being treated like criminals just because we're flying?

I am really getting sick and tired of the TSA and their bullsh!t.
That's essentially what I did. I just started moving towards my things. When I did that, I was told I needed to wait. I told them that, if I couldn't go to my things, they would need to bring them within my view. They did, but if they hadn't, I would have just started on the move again.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:32 am

Lately--as in the last four weeks--every grope has been quite firm, all have involved the neckband of my shirt
hmm. others are reporting that same thing. looks like yet another policy change.
disgustingly invasive and a waste of time. knowing that they're likely not watching what goes into the cargo hold, does it make you feel safer....
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
All seems like pretty standard. We couldn't have the same procedure at every airport, because we have to Keep The Terrorists Guessing™. It's quite absurd that trying to mind your stuff gets you barked at.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:25 am

Lately--as in the last four weeks--every grope has been quite firm, all have involved the neckband of my shirt (I deliberately did NOT say collar because a tee shirt doesn't have one and yes, that's been checked too), most definitely waistband of my pants, circling my breasts . . . really it would be far shorter to say every inch of my body gets touched, including my hair (which is cut in a short bob).

This was the first time my feet got thoroughly groped and I felt vindicated in having had her change her gloves.
I am curious because I may have to fly to visit relatives later this year.
Was the "circling" of breasts with the front or the back of the hand? Did she touch your "hooha" (labia) and/or buttox? If so, with the front or back of the hand?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Was the "circling" of breasts with the front or the back of the hand? Did she touch your "hooha" (labia) and/or buttox? If so, with the front or back of the hand?
Usually--not always but usually--it's the back of the hand. Yes, the labia is touched as are the buttocks. Breasts have been both circled and flat out felt up almost as thoroughly as the annual breast exam.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have moved to where I could see my things while, simultaneously, insisting that a supervisor and LEO be called.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:53 pm

Usually--not always but usually--it's the back of the hand. Yes, the labia is touched as are the buttocks. Breasts have been both circled and flat out felt up almost as thoroughly as the annual breast exam.
g-d how I hate these people. disgusting rejects of the human race.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trvlr64
One of these days someone is just going to have to basically ignore the TSO and go stand next to your items on the luggage belt until they can "find" someone to pat us down.

When are we going to start demanding that we stop being treated like criminals just because we're flying?

I am really getting sick and tired of the TSA and their bullsh!t.
That is exactly what I would do in the situation. Between a DSLR and a good laptop I've got thousands of dollars of stuff in my carry-ons.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Flying back from SAT last month, the woman in front of me was wearing a hoodie and told TSA that she didnt have another shirt underneath. No backscatter in operation. So, they call for a female assist for a patdown--after her items are heading through the xray.

They keep her aside while her stuff is just sitting at the end of the belt. she cant see it at all. She doesnt have a good line of sight and passengers are also blocking her view. She complains--to no avail. Wife and I notice her purse is partially unzipped and offer to zip it closed. Nothing was taken--we saw her after security.

But, again TSA, kept a passenger from their belongings--out of sight of them and ignored protests.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
But, again TSA, kept a passenger from their belongings--out of sight of them and ignored protests.
I think the best thing travelers can do in such cases is start asking very loudly, "WHOSE BAGS ARE THESE? THESE ARE UNATTENDED BAGS! I THINK THEY BELONG TO THAT PERSON OVER THERE! WHY ISN'T SHE ALLOWED TO GET TO HER BAGS?!?"

But I know most people can't be bothered to interfere with much of anything on a stranger's behalf...
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Caradoc
I think the best thing travelers can do in such cases is start asking very loudly, "WHOSE BAGS ARE THESE? THESE ARE UNATTENDED BAGS! I THINK THEY BELONG TO THAT PERSON OVER THERE! WHY ISN'T SHE ALLOWED TO GET TO HER BAGS?!?"

But I know most people can't be bothered to interfere with much of anything on a stranger's behalf...
I should have. I was checked in plenty early. I was through security. Missed an opportunity. me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.