Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CNN: Air marshals surveyed about misconduct, retaliation within agency

Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

"I think it's just a smoke screen, to be honest with you," [the Federal Air Marshal] said. "I've met with all these people. I've met with the [DHS Office of Inspector General]. It's just one investigation after another investigation and nothing ever seems to get done."
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/01/air.marshal.survey/
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Numerous current and former air marshals, speaking on the condition of anonymity, have told CNN the agency was rife with mismanagement in the past and that newer agency leaders have dealt with some of the complaints through a series of quiet job transfers, demotions and retirements.
All the more reason to disband the entire lot of them. Let them guard the local Wal Mart instead of stealing our First Class seats. Now, wWho will rid us of these turbulent FAMs?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
All the more reason to disband the entire lot of them. Let them guard the local Wal Mart instead of stealing our First Class seats. Now, wWho will rid us of these turbulent FAMs?
Disband FAMS because they are mis-managed? How about get rid of the managers? And honestly, how many times has your first class seat been stolen by a FAM?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Good Guy
Disband FAMS because they are mis-managed? How about get rid of the managers? And honestly, how many times has your first class seat been stolen by a FAM?
Do a search on FT. You'll find the instances where it happened. IMO, they should not be in F. With the cockpit door fortified, they should be in the first row of Y.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Do a search on FT. You'll find the instances where it happened. IMO, they should not be in F. With the cockpit door fortified, they should be in the first row of Y.
oddly, last flights I was on... the flight deck was opened constantly as the PIC must have had IBS... I did enjoy how the attendant standing right in front of first class was apparently the same as a locked door....
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:24 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And honestly, how many times has your first class seat been stolen by a FAM?
It isn't just about my F seat-- and I'm not sure I ever recall losing one for any suspect reason-- but it is about the airlines as well. If you recall, the airlines complained rather vocally sometime last year about the FAMS love of their premium seats. FAMS changed their tune without admitting anything, certainly not that the airlines' complaints had anything to do with it. The timing was very suspect. At one point, UA was putting 6 F seats instead of 8 in their initial inventory for A319 flights in and out of DCA. Some overseas flights, business class will fetch $5,000 oneway and first double that; that's real money.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:44 am

What is the cost per lives saved of this program?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
What is the cost per lives saved of this program?
FAMs have taken more innocent lives than they have saved.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Actually they should be in the very last row of the cabin.

Who wants a bad guy behind you?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:17 am

As someone who used to be part of the process, let me tell you absolutely that it happens far more than people realize. And considerably more often than is reported on various FT threads.

It is an unnecessary PiTA for frontline airline employees, at least 2 groups of which have to handle the actual booking and the other bearing the brunt of a disgruntled downgrade; customer service departments both at the airport and HQ; middle management; and corporate "handlers". That's at least 7 individuals across 6 different departments for each FAM on literally hundreds of flights a day.

The first row of coach wouldn't work d/t ADA. However, there are several other places that have been recommended, and summarily rejected.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
FAMs have taken more innocent lives than they have saved.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Actually they should be in the very last row of the cabin.

Who wants a bad guy behind you?
All the more reason to put them closer to the front.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by barbell
All the more reason to put them closer to the front.
I vote for the cargo hold!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
I vote for the cargo hold!
Unpressurized?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:01 am

Unpressurized?
Oops!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Unpressurized?
No such thing as unpressurized cargo hold on a commercial airliner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.