Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle

As and from 22 November 2013, passengers who are selected for a body scan may decline and receive a "private search alternative".

Body scanners are in place or on their way to the majority of major international airports in the UK. As of the end of 2013, they are deployed in LHR, LGW, BHX, MAN, EDI, GLA, STN, LCY, and BFS and were deployed in late 2014/early 2015 to ABZ, BHD, BRS, CWL, EMA, LBA, LPL, LTN, NCL and PIK. Until 21 November 2013, passengers declining a scan once selected were denied passage through the checkpoint and offloaded from their flight. As of 22 November 2013, passengers selected may decline a scan and will be hand-searched in a private room. This search may require the loosening or removal of some items of clothing and the passenger may have a witness present. The passenger's carry-on items will also be thoroughly searched and may be subject to explosive threat detection swabbing. Details of some FlyerTalkers' opt-out experiences can be read in post #606 and #661.

All body scanners in the UK are of the millimetre wave type. Backscatter machines were previously used but withdrawn in 2012. There are 4 models in use: the L3 ProVision, the L3 ProVision 2, the Smiths eqo (which has a passing resemblance to the single-pose Rapiscan backscatter), and the Rohde & Schwarz Quick Personnel Scanner. All use Automatic Threat Recognition software so the result of the scan is immediately visible in the form of a so-called "Gumby" figure on the screen. The passenger and the security clerk will see the figure and any anomalies are outlined with boxes; these areas are then patted down.

Scanners are not used as primary and all passengers pass through walk-through metal detectors in the first instance. In most locations, the scanner is associated with one WTMD and if you trigger this WTMD you will be directed to the scanner. Note that WTMDs in the UK are set to randomly beep with a certain probability (perhaps 15%) even if you have no metal. In some locations, however, the scanner is set back from the checkpoint and security clerks select people based on undisclosed criteria, sometimes after they have already packed up their stuff and put it back in their bags/pockets/etc.

A passenger may, if so inclined, request to be screened by the scanner rather than passing through the WTMD, which one supposes may be preferable to certain passengers possessed of metal implants which they cannot divest.

Historically the chance of being selected for scanning on any given trip was quite low, as there are generally multiple lanes at any given checkpoint but only one or two scanners. This is now changing at non-London airports where the lanes with scanners are used most and non-scanner lanes only opened to handle peak demand, and at London airports where more scanners are being installed. It was also usually the case through 2014 that fast track lanes for premium and status passengers were WTMD only; this is sadly history now.

Unless otherwise stated, the scanners below are located behind WTMDs and passengers beeping the WTMDs are scanned.

Scanner locations per airport:

LHR T1: Closed
LHR T2: Scanners on all lanes behind WTMD, except the very furthest lane from the entrance.
LHR T3: Recent information required.
LHR T4: Recent information required.
LHR T5: Scanners on most lanes behind WTMD. Due to limited space the lanes at either end of north checkpoint and at either end of south checkpoint (but not fast track) are scanner-free.
LGW TN: WTMD + scanner in every lane.
LGW TS: WTMD + scanner in every lane. Sometimes scanners switched to primary.
MAN: Scanners: one per checkpoint, used as secondary screening in lieu of pat-down if WTMD triggered.
EDI: Update needed from new checkpoint
STN: Scanners behind the WTMDs for lanes 7/8 and 15/16.
LCY: Scanners in both checkpoints, used as secondary. Two safe lanes in the old checkpoint (the one with automatic boarding pass scan gates) so use that and try to SDOO.
GLA: Between lanes 3 and 4. Note, fast track normally uses lanes 1 and 2 but you can get unlucky. (Updated 25 January 2014)
BFS: Scanner used as secondary if you trip the WTMD.
ABZ: Information needed
SOU: Scanner behind the only WTMD
BHD, LPL, BRS, EMA, NCL, LBA, LTN, CWL: Information also needed

See also: https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...ty-scanners--2
Print Wikipost

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
LHR T5 is getting worse. There are now 10 scanners in total at the checkpoints and no longer a consistent way of avoiding their lanes. If most lanes are open you have a decent chance of SDOO but they sometimes rope off the non-scanner lanes and sometimes have barkers sending you to specific lanes.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
LHR T5 is getting worse. There are now 10 scanners in total at the checkpoints and no longer a consistent way of avoiding their lanes. If most lanes are open you have a decent chance of SDOO but they sometimes rope off the non-scanner lanes and sometimes have barkers sending you to specific lanes.
So if you cant hold the position ? I cant without loosing my balance. Also that means I cant fly in England.

Last edited by tanja; Dec 15, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tanja
So if you cant hold the position ? I cant without loosing my balance. ASo that means I cant fly in England.
Per the thread title, LHR has allowed passenger to opt-out since 11/22/2013.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Per the thread title, LHR has allowed passenger to opt-out since 11/22/2013.
But no that easy. Thank you though.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If you are unable or unwilling to undergo a body scan on request, and are not a member of airport or airline staff, you will need to submit to a time-consuming full pat-down search in a private room. This may or may not include any combination of the following: a HHMD wanding, a ETD check of you and/or your carry-on, a complete hand search of your carry-on, and any or all of the foregoing for anyone identified as travelling with you.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:16 am

Went through T5N last week, and I have to say the security personnel made my life very difficult indeed. I triggered the WTMD and was told to go through the NoS. I asked to opt out, but they claimed that NONE were allowed. I insisted that they were made legal not too long ago, but he claimed it would've required me to get a naked body search, which I know is utter bollocks. I didn't want to risk further trouble, so I reluctantly chose to go through with it. The personnel asked me why I didn't want to go through with it, and I said I didn't need to tell them.

Overall, I got the impression that they knew opt outs were permitted, but couldn't be bothered to carry them out. If you intend to travel via LHR T5, go through T5S as they only have a couple of scanners in use.

Last edited by EZYBA1; Dec 20, 2015 at 5:01 am
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
The UK as we know it: Happily breaching EU rules they don't like. This also is a failure of the EU Commission, who doesn't require clear signage.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:09 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Perhaps this is somewhere else, but I thought I would post it here.

I just went through security at LHR Terminal 2. They must have installed a body scanner in the past three weeks in the priority security lanes as there was none three weeks ago when I was here.

I was lucky and not directed into it, but two ladies after me were. Is it random? At the whim of the screeners? Too new as not everyone is trained?
Only when you alarm the metal detector?

Anyone know what the story is here? And what about opting-out there?

Very annoying.

Thanks for any input.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Selection is meant to be people who beep the WTMD but the clerks can pick anyone they like (or should that be don't like?) to get their dose of radiation.

EZYBA1: Did you ask for a supervisor?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
And what about opting-out there?
Opt-outs are permitted at all times in the EU.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
Opt-outs are permitted at all times in the EU.
Yes, we know how it is supposed to work. Given that we have indications of what actually happens on the ground being different, I rather suspect iluv2fly was looking for what happens in practice rather than in theory.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by stifle
Yes, we know how it is supposed to work. Given that we have indications of what actually happens on the ground being different, I rather suspect iluv2fly was looking for what happens in practice rather than in theory.
Bingo. Thank you.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:42 am

While I understand that what happens in practice is more relevant, the important fact is that opt outs are permitted by law, whether security screeners there like it or not.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:20 am

Hello, I am planning to visit the UK in the next couple of months and am planning my visit from the US. For my itinerary, MAN would be the most convenient airport. However, if another airport had less intrusive security I would consider it.

1) If you had a choice of UK airports, which one has the least intrusive security?
2) Does the fact that I would be flying to the US make a difference? If it does I could go via DUB or YYZ.
3)I see I can now buy FastTrack at the MAN airport for L3.50. Is that something you would recommend?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by bigmac3011
1) If you had a choice of UK airports, which one has the least intrusive security?
The smaller airports, such as Bournemouth or Southampton, do not have full body scanners (according to this thread, and my experience in last 12 months). I cannot comment on the smaller airports further north.

Originally Posted by bigmac3011
2) Does the fact that I would be flying to the US make a difference? If it does I could go via DUB or YYZ.
Your boarding pass is scanned when entering the security check area, but the security staff at the checkpoint do not know where you are travelling. Therefore everyone receives the same treatment. Sometimes you may see a manual secondary check at the boarding gate on flight bound the the US - this is likely to be true whichever country you depart from.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.