FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Security & Complacency (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1185381-security-complacency.html)

idriveuride Feb 18, 11 8:56 am

Originally Posted by tev9999 (Post 15888761)
Screening is not the answer - intellegence is. If a bomb gets to the airport, or on the subway, or in a car, it is already too late. Take half the funding of TSA and give it to intellegence agencies to disrupt plots (within the bounds of the Constitution) BEFORE the bomb even gets made. Take the other half and install guardrails on thousands of miles of rural highways to prevent median cross-over collisions. That will save thousands more lives than the TSA ever will.

ABSOLUTELY . . . But now the Constitutional argument really comes into play. We could be FAR more effective at what you mention, and should. But, until all hell breask loose, it will never permitted. heck we can't even get a profilling program in place without it being shouted down.

Screening is the LAST line of defense.

gdeluca Feb 18, 11 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Mimi111 (Post 15886089)
Until those doing the screening (and everyone in their management chain) are at all times:
- of the highest caliber,
- highly qualified and proof of said qualifications produced,
- trainable and properly trained on an ongoing basis,
- tested regularly and required to pass,
- held accountable for what they do and doing what they shouldn't,
- are trustworthy and can be trusted,
- are not criminals or those with criminal leanings,
- are not susceptible to bribe or threat,
- are required to be professionals who act in a professional manager at all times

And until:
- everyone entering the sterile area is ALWAYS screened in the same fashion as passengers
- there is a zero tolerance for any rule breaking, law breaking, etc,

^ +1

Mimi111 Feb 18, 11 11:05 am

Originally Posted by gdeluca (Post 15889112)
^ +1

Why thank you...your quote did allow me to see a grammatical error that I did not notice earlier, and have now correct so ^ to you as well. :)

Wollstonecraft Feb 18, 11 11:45 am

Originally Posted by idriveuride (Post 15888861)

If that is true, we are in even more serious trouble than anyone can imagine. Especially since airport workers are not screened at all. So, basically, we have NO defense, and therefore might as well not screen anyone.

tev9999 Feb 18, 11 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by idriveuride (Post 15888861)
ABSOLUTELY . . . But now the Constitutional argument really comes into play. We could be FAR more effective at what you mention, and should. But, until all hell breask loose, it will never permitted. heck we can't even get a profilling program in place without it being shouted down.

Woah there! I never suggested profiling, and believe that would be an even bigger failure. What is the profile for all of the people I listed above? You have American teenagers, honorably discharged US Army veterans, radical muslims, respected scientists and so on.

Intellegence means monitoring radical websites. If someone starts posting they want to blow something up, get a court order to trace their IP and investigate. Infiltrate known radical groups with undercover agents to see what is going on. You still won't catch the lone crazy shooter, but you won't do that with screening either.