FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Another Report of TSA Thuggery (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1184795-another-report-tsa-thuggery.html)

ElizabethConley Feb 16, 2011 11:58 am

Another Report of TSA Thuggery

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/theroux-m2.1.1.html

FriendlySkies Feb 16, 2011 12:17 pm

Disappointing :td:

What other possible purpose, then, than a very deliberate, public show of force making it clear to all witnessing the spectacle that those who will not submit quietly will be made examples of?
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/facepalm.jpg

Isobel Feb 16, 2011 12:35 pm

This account of a gang of TSA thugs following the woman and her son onto the plane and detaining them is pretty darn appalling.

Spreading the word about this sort of abuse is something we all ought to be doing more actively. Blog a link, tweet it, plaster the offending TSOs' names all over the internet.

I've seen older Egyptian citizens apologizing to the young protesters of their nation for not having the guts and the will to speak out about the "emergency" order instituted there 30 years ago. Some of them apparently feel that they cooperated and submitted to authority to such an extreme that they scarcely noticed until they basically had no rights at all.

I certainly hope that doesn't happen in the US -- I hope the checks and balances originally set up in our Constitution will prevent it. But when I see the vast majority of sheep herded thru the checkpoints without uttering any protest, I have to wonder what THIS country will look like in 30 years.

ElizabethConley Feb 16, 2011 12:48 pm

I really like that she outed the thugs by name, title and place of employment. There should be no privacy for "public servants" who abuse public trust.

exbayern Feb 16, 2011 1:06 pm

What other possible purpose, then, than a very deliberate, public show of force making it clear to all witnessing the spectacle that those who will not submit quietly will be made examples of?
I reported a few weeks ago about a TDC thinking that a German and Swiss passport were 'cool' and how he wanted to make copies for 'training purposes'. I responded firmly but politely why that was not an option, and continued through the checkpoint.

About 30 minutes later I was sitting at the gate, and three TSOs appeared to stand about 3 metres away from me. I will admit that my very first thought was 'they have come for me'. It was in fact a gate ID check, but made me rather nervous, even though I had done nothing wrong. (And in the end, they didn't check my ID)

My experiences and more importantly the experiences of family in the DDR make me nervous at any checkpoint, even though I logically know that I should have nothing to fear.

sar0000 Feb 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 15876870)
My experiences and more importantly the experiences of family in the DDR make me nervous at any checkpoint, even though I logically know that I should have nothing to fear.

There is something seriously unbalanced in this country when people fear the government. It is supposed to be the other way around :(

MikeMpls Feb 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mary Theroux
But such bullying is not the least unpredictable. Investing petty clerks with arbitrary and unchecked powers always leads to their visiting ever-increasing humiliations and violence on the politically impotent. As this past 10 years of escalating “homeland security” well confirms, thuggery not resisted grows ever more bold. Tunisia’s recent uprising may have been sparked by a young man who set fire to himself after being harassed by a low-level government official, as Egypt’s was by three policemen killing a young man posting evidence of their petty corruption on YouTube, but the fuel for each had been built up over decades of tyrannies small and great. The only question here is how far down the road we blessed with a heritage of security in our own persons and property will quietly submit before turning on “our” Brownshirts and saying “No. Go.”

Is Mary Theroux perhaps a FlyerTalker? Nobody else would call them Brownshirts, right?

Except, of course, for the simple fact that they are little better than the original Sturmabteilung.

PatrickHenry1775 Feb 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Isobel (Post 15876651)
This account of a gang of TSA thugs following the woman and her son onto the plane and detaining them is pretty darn appalling.

Spreading the word about this sort of abuse is something we all ought to be doing more actively. Blog a link, tweet it, plaster the offending TSOs' names all over the internet.

I've seen older Egyptian citizens apologizing to the young protesters of their nation for not having the guts and the will to speak out about the "emergency" order instituted there 30 years ago. Some of them apparently feel that they cooperated and submitted to authority to such an extreme that they scarcely noticed until they basically had no rights at all.

I certainly hope that doesn't happen in the US -- I hope the checks and balances originally set up in our Constitution will prevent it. But when I see the vast majority of sheep herded thru the checkpoints without uttering any protest, I have to wonder what THIS country will look like in 30 years.

The Founding Fathers had very good reasons for including the Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights.

Mimi111 Feb 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 15878735)
Is Mary Theroux perhaps a FlyerTalker? Nobody else would call them Brownshirts, right?

Except, of course, for the simple fact that they are little better than the original Sturmabteilung.

Not surprisingly, I've heard this from people I know for a fact are not FlyerTalkers. The word it out and the sheeple are waking up... ^

CubsFanJohn Feb 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Pathetic I hope the sheep start waking up and causing a ruckus.

nachtnebel Feb 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mimi111 (Post 15879237)
Not surprisingly, I've heard this from people I know for a fact are not FlyerTalkers. The word it out and the sheeple are waking up... ^

I rub elbows with LEOs occasionally, and although I don't hear those particular terms, the words "loathing" and "disgust" do come up when they talk about how they feel when the women in their lives are being peeped and felt up at the airport, felt up to a degree that is forbidden to the LEOs unless arresting someone.

Mimi111 Feb 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel (Post 15879803)
I rub elbows with LEOs occasionally, and although I don't hear those particular terms, the words "loathing" and "disgust" do come up when they talk about how they feel when the women in their lives are being peeped and felt up at the airport, felt up to a degree that is forbidden to the LEOs unless arresting someone.

Makes me wonder if it will be a pax or LEO who will be the first to loose it on a TSO.

mikemey Feb 17, 2011 5:13 am

Originally Posted by nachtnebel (Post 15879803)

My cousin, who is a PANYNJ cop, called them whiny little .....es when I recounted an incident I had with one blimp sized Clerk at EWR who had a bad day and attempted to take it out on me.

They constantly call LEO there for no good reason, and he has nothing but distain for them, feels they should all lose their jobs, etc.

Caradoc Feb 17, 2011 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Mimi111 (Post 15879832)
Makes me wonder if it will be a pax or LEO who will be the first to loose it on a TSO.

Wonder no more.

The TSA employee "lost it" first.

Anger management seems to be one area in which the TSA really needs to offer "additional training opportunities" to its horde of knuckle-draggers.

Boggie Dog Feb 17, 2011 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 15881655)
Wonder no more.

The TSA employee "lost it" first.

Anger management seems to be one area in which the TSA really needs to offer "additional training opportunities" to its horde of knuckle-draggers.

Don't think you can count this one as who will go off on a TSA employee.

Anyhow, it certainly seems that using tactics of a bully is part of TSA's extensive training, so this person was just using the tools TSA provided.