Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Why does TSA require palms be held up during search?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does TSA require palms be held up during search?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
I'm sure there's an abundance of caution involved

Seriously? I don't know. I imagine it's to make it immediately obvious if someone has palmed some contraband.
^ Right in one.

Also, the only adult answer of the bunch. For that alone you get another ^^.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:55 pm

Right in one.

Also, the only adult answer of the bunch. For that alone you get anothe
I think it is being an adult to resent and object to being put into this ridiculous and offensive posture merely to take a plane ride.

You want obedient proles. Pardon me if I discount the value of your definition of "adult'.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TSORon
^ Right in one.

Also, the only adult answer of the bunch. For that alone you get another ^^.
So, when you are on your knees with your hand at my butt crack, there is some reason you can not look at the palms of my hands?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
I think it is being an adult to resent and object to being put into this ridiculous and offensive posture merely to take a plane ride.
+1
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:21 pm

You want obedient proles. Pardon me if I discount the value of your definition of "adult'.
It’s called "adult responsibility", and it accompanies every decision we make as adults. Inconvenient I know, but there you have it.

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
So, when you are on your knees with your hand at my butt crack, there is some reason you can not look at the palms of my hands?
Yes.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:27 pm

It’s called "adult responsibility", and it accompanies every decision we make as adults. Inconvenient I know, but there you have it.

Yes.
I don't understand what you're referring to as adult responsibility -- going through prison intake to get on a plane, or making frivolous comments on an internet forum?

You don't need to question my adulthood, I'm adult enough not to fly until the checkpoint itself is not so hazardous to myself and my family. I just think your comment was unclear.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
The official explanation will be that with palms down, arms tend to droop as the process goes on making it harder for the agent to carry out his or her search. With palms upright, drooping is not an option.

The real reason, as others have said, is to assert their authority thereby creating an impression that they are in control.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:44 pm

There is nothing adult in a federal agency strip searching people in direct violation of the 4th Amendment. There is nothing adult in touching and rubbing their sexual organs, buttocks, hair in violation of the 4th Amendment and common decency, with no probable cause. What you call choice is choice under duress. The position and behavior of the TSA is disgusting, and the smugness with which you embrace those is quite uncalled for.

Last edited by nachtnebel; Feb 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm Reason: de confrontized
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
[QUOTE=TSORon;15878754]It’s called "adult responsibility", and it accompanies every decision we make as adults. Inconvenient I know, but there you have it.

Adult responsibility:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775

Adult responsibility:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
+1
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:05 am

PatrickHenry1775;15879247

Adult responsibility:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
^^^
That's the precise definition of "adult responsibility" all right.

Last edited by ElizabethConley; Feb 17, 2011 at 6:10 am
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:08 am
Suspended

The position and behavior of the TSA is disgusting, and the smugness with which you embrace those is quite uncalled for.
But the TSA employees enjoy doing it. That's the really disgusting part.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by phoebepontiac
I don't understand what you're referring to as adult responsibility -- going through prison intake to get on a plane, or making frivolous comments on an internet forum?

You don't need to question my adulthood, I'm adult enough not to fly until the checkpoint itself is not so hazardous to myself and my family. I just think your comment was unclear.
I was not questioning your “adulthood”, only the lack of adult responses to a reasonable question.

An adult would go and find the information about the safety of the checkpoint rather than use rhetoric and sensationalism to avoid the facts. The information is out there, I myself have provided links to it several times. Ignoring it serves no useful purpose and only makes one look silly.

An adult would also know that one’s personal feelings on a subject occasionally need to take a back seat to the realities of the situation. If you were in the army your sergeant would be telling you “Soldier, shut up and soldier”.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:46 pm

I was not questioning your “adulthood”, only the lack of adult responses to a reasonable question.

An adult would go and find the information about the safety of the checkpoint rather than use rhetoric and sensationalism to avoid the facts. The information is out there, I myself have provided links to it several times. Ignoring it serves no useful purpose and only makes one look silly.

An adult would also know that one’s personal feelings on a subject occasionally need to take a back seat to the realities of the situation. If you were in the army your sergeant would be telling you “Soldier, shut up and soldier”.
Right. That's why I refuse to fly. Shut up and soldier on, I tell my kids, when they want to visit their grandma. Because "good touch, bad touch" at the airport is SSI.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:06 pm

You said responsibility, not response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.