FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Touching face and hair -- what is point? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1183067-touching-face-hair-what-point.html)

Cartoon Peril Feb 11, 11 6:01 pm

Touching face and hair -- what is point?

I have read numerous accounts that TSOs feel they have to stroke or touch:
1. The passenger's face;
2. The passenger's hair;
3. Around the passenger's collar.

What is the point of this? It seems unnecessary to me, and in some ways, rather offensive.

Boggie Dog Feb 11, 11 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril (Post 15848025)
1. The passenger's face;
2. The passenger's hair;

What is the point of this? It seems unnecessary to me, and in some ways, rather offensive.

Of course it's not necessary. The point is for TSA to invade your personal space and make people bow to their sick, perverted demands.

Little you see TSA doing adds anything to safety.

If this kind of screening was really needed then we would see everyone entering the secure area getting screened, and as you know that does not happen for a very large group of people.

Sky auditor Feb 11, 11 6:28 pm

1. The passenger's face;
2. The passenger's hair;

Pistole's Perverts do this to condition you to accepting invasive touching without question. It makes future escalation easier.

nachtnebel Feb 11, 11 6:28 pm

They have their reasons for it. Ask TSORon or GSOLTSO.

GSOLTSO just posted how people at his airport (GSO) just love the standard patdowns and cannot believe they are so painless. Perhaps they don't make love to passengers' faces, hair, and necks at his airport, and they keep hands off the private parts.

Are some airports still doing the hair/face/neckline thing? I thought that went away after stuff hit the fan back in November.

Also, the stories about women being taken aside to examine stuff like sanitary pads has died away. Has TSA gotten a clue on this and no longer performs this debased searching? I hope so...

Deinonychus Feb 11, 11 6:33 pm

Because you can totally hide a bomb in your hair!

PhoenixRev Feb 11, 11 6:44 pm

Imagine my confusion when they touch my shaved, bald head every time I get a selected for a secondary or opt out.

Mimi111 Feb 11, 11 7:16 pm

1. The passenger's face;
2. The passenger's hair;

This bothers me more than anything else they do during the "patdown". It makes my skin crawl. "No, no, there is nothing sexual about the grope but we are going to stroke your face and hair just to add to the intimacy of the assault."

nachtnebel Feb 11, 11 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mimi111 (Post 15848362)
This bothers me more than anything else they do during the "patdown". It makes my skin crawl. "No, no, there is nothing sexual about the grope but we are going to stroke your face and hair just to add to the intimacy of the assault."

again, does anyone do this besides the TSA? what a sick bunch.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Feb 11, 11 7:30 pm

1. The passenger's face;
2. The passenger's hair;

If you think about it, 'hair' could actually be a wig, this could be a place of concealment. Customs frisk searches in Australia will ask to touch your hair/wig to check for contraband.

Items could be concealed in a collar. Security at many many airports checks people's collars. They have been doing this at Amsterdam for many years (like the last 20 or more).

Face? I don't know.

Can you please give some links to where you have read that a person's face has been 'stroked'?

Mimi111 Feb 11, 11 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 15848407)
If you think about it, 'hair' could actually be a wig, this could be a place of concealment. Customs frisk searches in Australia will ask to touch your hair/wig to check for contraband.

Items could be concealed in a collar. Security at many many airports checks people's collars. They have been doing this at Amsterdam for many years (like the last 20 or more).

Face? I don't know.

Can you please give some links to where you have read that a person's face has been 'stroked'?

I have had my face stroked, thus my comment. It's disgusting.

As to hair and collars...the collar doesn't bother me so much but it is still pointless on some shirts, yet they do it anyway. The hair thing does bother me, especially when you have leering male TSOs standing around watching.

InkUnderNails Feb 11, 11 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mimi111 (Post 15848362)

You should be bothered by it. Touching and stroking of the hair is considered high on the level of intimate contact. It is practiced by parents bonding with their children, moms brushing their daughter's hair and dads mussing their son's are just two examples. It is a natural impulse for people with a high degree of attraction to reach out to the other and lightly stroke their hair as a signal regarding determination of the willingness of the other person to respond. It is so natural, that we do it without the thought that we are doing it. Likewise, with a person with which we wish no contact, we can shake their hand or pat their back in departing, but we would never, ever even think of touching their hair.

Mimi111 Feb 11, 11 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15848427)
You should be bothered by it. Touching and stroking of the hair is considered high on the level of intimate contact. It is practiced by parents bonding with their children, moms brushing their daughter's hair and dads mussing their son's are just two examples. It is a natural impulse for people with a high degree of attraction to reach out to the other and lightly stroke their hair as a signal regarding determination of the willingness of the other person to respond. It is so natural, that we do it without the thought that we are doing it. Likewise, with a person with which we wish no contact, we can shake their hand or pat their back in departing, but we would never, ever even think of touching their hair.

Exactly. As I said earlier, and there is really no other way to describe it, disgusting.

FriendlySkies Feb 11, 11 7:43 pm

It's pointless.. Just like the clerks that pat-down bare arms/legs :rolleyes:

PBQ Feb 11, 11 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Deinonychus (Post 15848174)
Because you can totally hide a bomb in your hair!

or in a fake chin implant.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Feb 11, 11 7:55 pm

I would much rather have people's hair touched than risk explosives being carried on board under a wig/turban/other head covering.

Can someone please explain how else you check these places without touching them?

No 'intimacy issue' is worth an explosive decompression at 35,000 feet, or death.

It's irrelevant whether they have caught someone or not yet. We don't know when the first incident will happen.

Perhaps the solution is to have a two tiered system. Planes with security, and planes without. I know which one I'd rather be on. And i know which one would make the more likely target for someone wishing to bring the plane down.

I don't get the need to stroke someone's face though. I would still like to see the written links that the OP mentioned to see the circumstances under which this happened.