FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Touching face and hair -- what is point? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1183067-touching-face-hair-what-point.html)

deldel Feb 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 15852893)
When I was in the military, I had tons of things in my collar - a small penknife, 550 cord, a length of wire, and any other number of things (I even had a small screwdrivere and a pair of lockpicks at one time) I thought I might need handy if I was ever caught in a hot zone - want to know why? Because noone, NOONE ever patted down the collar when we were searched. Now, TSA has actually put into effect a search that checks collars, and I was absolutely astounded, becuse noone, NOONE has ever patted down collars.;)

Bolding mine

None of the things you mentioned can take down an airplane. Be serious West!

Caradoc Feb 13, 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tom M. (Post 15856330)
How can you tell the average Joe or Jane from other passengers?

With the BDO Magic Helmet of Telepathy.

Duh.

deldel Feb 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 15856822)

Duh.

LMAO. Good one.

gsoltso Feb 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15852980)
Letting a known threat matrix go unscreened because it could be offensive to someone is poor security to begin with.

So letting a known threat matrix to unscreened is poor security.

Then please explain how TSA with all its wisdom allows body cavity weapons to go unscreened. A body cavity weapon has been deployed exactly as many times as a shoe bomb and an underwear bomb.

Are you suggesting that TSA is guilty of having poor security practices?

I have admitted the system is not perfect, and can't screen for every threat. However, the collar is a simple part of the pat down that takes about 10 seconds to do.

Originally Posted by Tom M. (Post 15852988)
And allowing known threat matrices go unscreened is already part of the TSA's SOP

Using a hand held metal detector would allow TSO's to pinpoint areas where any metal is. If the handheld triggered on the hair or collar, OK. If not, there is no reason for the search.

550 cord isn't a prohibited item.

I thought I might need handy if I was ever caught in a hot zone - want to know why? Because noone, NOONE ever patted down the collar when we were searched. Now, TSA has actually put into effect a search that checks collars, and I was absolutely astounded, becuse noone, NOONE has ever patted down collars.;)

[/QUOTE]

550 cord was merely one of the items listed, that i personally carried there. Hand helds are currently not a part of the system. They are an effective tool, but the AIT allows us to find more than just metallic items.

Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril (Post 15853186)
1. Then why is there a "modified pat-down" (whatever that is) for children under 12?

2. If a threat to aircraft can be concealed in hair, then why isn't everyone's hair checked?

3. "Could be offensive" is not a reasonable description for what TSA is doing. It IS offensive. Any TSO who did the "enhanced pat-down" (or whatever it's called) anywhere else would be in prison. So it boots not to pretend it isn't offensive.

TSA would do better to simply acknowledge this and then make the claim that its offensive conduct is somehow necessary.

1. No one is arguing for NO security. Indeed, there can be no real argument against an effective security regime. However, there are excellent reasons to believe that the TSA is running an ineffective security regime. These reasons start with the humiliation of the last line of defense, which is not the TSA's gate gropers, but rather the passengers themselves.

2. Is this an objection to the First Amendment?

Again, the system is not perfect, but there are things that come down and we work with those rules.

Not all hairstyles are able to conceal an item, thus can be cleared visually.

Based upon your (and many others here) point of view. I could argue the opposite point of view all day, but I am not likely to convince you otherwise. I operate within the rules I am given and provide feedback to my chain of command. That comment was not used in the context you list it as - it was part of a broader statement about how folks with ill intent could use the same type of complaints to completely remove the screening - IF TSA were to remove any kind of screening protocols that someone found offensive.

I would beg to differ, I have seen many folks here make that claim - disclaimer - the vast majority of those are basing that statement against going through what TSA is doing now, or none.

I revere the 1st Amendment, you are free to say whatever you like, the flip side to that is I am able to say whatever I like as well.

Originally Posted by CavePearl (Post 15853959)
My hair is short and bone straight. In the last two weeks my hair has been stroked at SAT, HOU, and HRL. In my opinion, it is by far the most disgusting part of the groping I received at all three airports. If a screener was actually looking at me for hidden items, it would be obvious that there is absolutely no way anything could be in my hair. In all three cases it was nothing more that the screeners "just following the rules." And we call passengers "sheeples?" I say the true sheeples are the TSA screeners.

CavePearl, I have no idea. I have no photo of you or a hairstyle that is like yours to compare and base a statement on. If you include a link to the hairstyle you are currently wearing, then I would be glad to look at it and let you know my opinion.

nachtnebel Feb 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Duh.

which they polish at regular intervals during the day.

gsoltso Feb 13, 2011 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by deldel (Post 15856725)
Bolding mine

None of the things you mentioned can take down an airplane. Be serious West!

No but rolled c-4 can. A detonator can be hidden there, weapons made of carbon fiber can be used to kill or injure passengers, wire could be hidden there... In short, the only thing limiting what can be concealed in a collar is the persons creativity.

gsoltso Feb 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Duh.

D'oh! I have been founded out....

Tom M. Feb 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 15857002)
. They are an effective tool, but the AIT allows us to find more than just metallic items.

Are head /collar checks only done when the AIT indicates an object in that area?

Cartoon Peril Feb 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 15857025)
No but rolled c-4 can. A detonator can be hidden there, weapons made of carbon fiber can be used to kill or injure passengers, wire could be hidden there... In short, the only thing limiting what can be concealed in a collar is the persons creativity.

1. Wire could be detected with the WTMD or the hand wand.
2. Detonator could be hidden in the rectum, vagina, or mouth. Is TSA checking those?
3. If the WTMD were used, a metallic detonator could be detected in these places.
4. Carbon fiber threat? Pshaw. Cell phones have been used as bombs and as remote detonators, yet TSA permits these on aircraft.
5. The collar search is not the worst by far, but it is evidence of security theater, as if we needed any further example.
6. Again, if TSA trusts no one, then no one can trust TSA. Not a good situation for a government agency to be in.

CavePearl Feb 13, 2011 2:56 pm

I revere the 1st Amendment, you are free to say whatever you like, the flip side to that is I am able to say whatever I like as well.

It's a shame that this reverence isn't allowed at the TSA checkpoints. If I assert my right of free speech the screener usually gets irritated and ultimately asks the dreaded question DY...T.

CavePearl, I have no idea. I have no photo of you or a hairstyle that is like yours to compare and base a statement on. If you include a link to the hairstyle you are currently wearing, then I would be glad to look at it and let you know my opinion.

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/ctn_1222...barkin/tpx_793

And yes, of course I look just like her! :)

Cartoon Peril Feb 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by CavePearl (Post 15857208)

Ah, yes, the lovely Ellen Barkin, whose greatest role was of course in Adventurers of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Eighth Dimension.

No wonder TSA has you picked out!

Boggie Dog Feb 13, 2011 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 15857025)

Can I bring a set of replacement guitar strings in my carry on?

edit to add: How much rolled C-4 do you suppose it would take to bring down a plane? The reason I ask is because Eyecue has clearly stated that not enough explosive can be inserted in an anus to worry about. I'm trying to picture your shirt collar with a pound or so of C-4 rolled up in it.

FliesWay2Much Feb 13, 2011 5:04 pm

A Woman's Hair Is About As Intimate As You Can Get

I remember back in my college and post-college single adult days being with girlfriends, many of whom were completely freaked out by guys who grabbed or pulled their hair during "consenting adult" activities. This fear & trauma was something I never realized was an issue. I used the term "freaked out," but this was obviously a real source of trauma. Human females, especially Mrs Flies, are way too precious to me to ever assert that level of dominance. But, it's business-as-usual at America's airports.

Hair pulling and hair groping obviously put a woman in an extremely vulnerable position. Adding on the "power/dominance" positioning of a TSA clerk, I can only imagine the trauma women go through having their hair violated in exchange for being allowed to board a commercial airliner.

gsoltso Feb 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tom M. (Post 15857089)
Are head /collar checks only done when the AIT indicates an object in that area?

I am not certain, and that borders on the dreaded SSI region, so I hate to say it, but I can't (and if I could, I wouldn't) answer that one.

Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril (Post 15857149)
1. Wire could be detected with the WTMD or the hand wand.
2. Detonator could be hidden in the rectum, vagina, or mouth. Is TSA checking those?
3. If the WTMD were used, a metallic detonator could be detected in these places.
4. Carbon fiber threat? Pshaw. Cell phones have been used as bombs and as remote detonators, yet TSA permits these on aircraft.
5. The collar search is not the worst by far, but it is evidence of security theater, as if we needed any further example.
6. Again, if TSA trusts no one, then no one can trust TSA. Not a good situation for a government agency to be in.

1. Not always, depends on how much is there.
2. Nope.
3. Not always.
4. Carbon fiber can be a threat to the passengers. Only after they are screened by the x-ray.
5. It is simply clearing the collar of threats.
6. Applying the rules as equally as possible (I know, there are exeptions, and I dislike them, but I don't make the rules) is not implying we do not trust folks, it is merely establishing a baseline of security.

Originally Posted by CavePearl (Post 15857208)
It's a shame that this reverence isn't allowed at the TSA checkpoints. If I assert my right of free speech the screener usually gets irritated and ultimately asks the dreaded question DY...T.

I HATE that phrase more than you could ever imagine. It is nothing but a phrase that escalates a minor miscommunication into a full blown crap sandwich. If I were Administrator, the first rule I would make would be to ban that from being used in any checkpoint (or anywhere TSA is working) under penalty of being fired immediately. If passengers are simply talking or even (gasp) joking around with us, there is no reason to get worked up. Sadly, that does not seem to be a consensus.

If that is your hair, I have no reason to pat it down, it can be cleared visually. If you look just like Ellen Barkin, why are you here typing with us and not in movies?:D

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15857618)
Can I bring a set of replacement guitar strings in my carry on?

edit to add: How much rolled C-4 do you suppose it would take to bring down a plane? The reason I ask is because Eyecue has clearly stated that not enough explosive can be inserted in an anus to worry about. I'm trying to picture your shirt collar with a pound or so of C-4 rolled up in it.

I can get enough C-4 in a collar to kill a handful, injure more and if I were able to put it at a critical juncture, maybe cause some pretty bad damage - but not a critical or catastrophic failure. Too many variables to give a definite, but I doubt I could bring it down or blow it completely out of the air.

Yes you can bring a set of extra guitar strings, and they make nice garrotes if you have a couple of thick wooden pegs (to prevent you from hurting your hands in the process).:D

Tom M. Feb 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 15857802)
I am not certain, and that borders on the dreaded SSI region, so I hate to say it, but I can't (and if I could, I wouldn't) answer that one.

Your "not certain"? wow.

why does being "not certain" border on SSI?

Carbon fiber can be a threat to the passengers.

Is it a prohibited item?

It is simply clearing the collar of threats.

Anything that can be put in a collar, can be concealed in a butt crack. Why doesn't the TSA clear butt cracks?

is not implying we do not trust folks,

That is exactly what it implies