FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Touching face and hair -- what is point? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1183067-touching-face-hair-what-point.html)

Mabuk dan gila Feb 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev (Post 15849680)
You could easily hide a detonator inside your mouth, under your tongue and wedged next to your gum line.

(You can see what I mean by watching this video. Go to the 2:00 mark and watch while he pulls the small detonator from his mouth.)

Someone stroking your face would never be able to detect the detonator under your tongue.

This is perhaps the greatest travesty of all with the TSA strip search scanner/ genital groping protocol. Not only does it violate the travelers most basic human rights. It actually makes us less secure and more vulnerable to terrorism.

No mater what your opinion on the invasiveness of the protocol. Ask yourself. Why did the last TWO serious bombing attempts on US passenger aircrafts fail? For one reason and one reason only. Both terrorists (shoe bomber and panty bomber) did not have a proper detonator for their PETN. What, the shoe bomber was trying to light it with a match and the panty bomber was trying to detonate it by injecting his bomb with a reactive chemical? Both attacks would have undoubtedly been devastating if the perpetrator would have had a simple blasting cap, battery and switch. So why didn't they have a proper detonator? Because it would contain metallic components that are readily detected by decades old metal detectors. Now we have eliminated that proven technology in favor of asinine techniques that are readily defeated by sticking it in your mouth, up your........where the sun don't shine and neither does a strip search scanner, or taking a lesson from hundreds of thousands of drug mules over the last few decades and putting the PETN and detonator in condoms and swallowing it.

Not only are we violated. We are placed at greater risk of terrorism as a side effect.

TSA. Making us less safe than we were before.

exbayern Feb 12, 2011 2:01 pm

I cannot see the video but assume it is Werner Gruber. It turned my mother from the anything for safety crowd into against the scanner. She also asked me why it wasn't seen in US, assuming that it would educate people.

phoebepontiac Feb 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Bad guys in movies are always snapping people's necks with just their hands. That's a real thing, isn't it?

sheneh Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by RATM (Post 15851949)
Yes, many of the TSA defenders have used the idea of choice as an incredulous rhetorical question to try and make us believe that no one could imagine security being any different. But as it turns out, many of us do feel that choice is inherent to a culture of free citizens. As far as I'm concerned, a two-tiered system isn't enough--that is no more choice than systems like scope or grope, or Democrat/Republican. A realistic solution that has actually been proposed is abolishing the TSA, and giving responsibility to the individual airlines. But TSA defenders won't help us do that, because they don't want to find out the true answer to the question.

Since the rhetorical question goes to the extreme of no security on one end, it should go to the extreme of ultra security applied on the other, and applied to everyone, not st random, ie full frisks for everyone, bag searches, etc. I wont even go as far as cavity searches I feel pretty confident actually the vast majority would choose the no security option. Ultimately most people will opt for whatever is cheaper and faster.

Cartoon Peril Feb 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by phoebepontiac (Post 15852362)
Bad guys in movies are always snapping people's necks with just their hands. That's a real thing, isn't it?

No, but a belt or a laptop properly employed could seriously harm someone.

phoebepontiac Feb 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril (Post 15852482)
No, but a belt or a laptop properly employed could seriously harm someone.

Oh duh. I meant that to be in the other thread. Anyway, they're connected.

gsoltso Feb 12, 2011 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril (Post 15851817)
Without justification, that is a battery, no?

I think TSA underestimates how offensive it is for a stranger to touch one's hair. This seems a weak justification for such an intrusion upon the person.

I have worn a collared shirt into highly secured areas run by state and federal governments. These points are secured by WTMD and baggage x-rays. The follow-up is typically a hand wand and an actual opening of bags and visual inspection. In some cases shoe and belt removal is required because these set off the WTMD. In many instances a valid ID is required for entry.

In other words, these areas are fully consistent with what was once the TSA standard up to the advent of the Junkatron and the intrusive physical searches. Actually in some ways it was greater, because the person running the WTMD would simultaneously check the ID (although ID seems not to be very closely related to actual security.)

In no case have I have had my shirt collar examined. In no case have I ever observed any other person having their collar examined.

The battery question is better answered by a lawyer or LEO from that location, as those laws vary from location to location.

Letting a known threat matrix go unscreened because it could be offensive to someone is poor security to begin with. If that is the defining rationale for screening procedures, then all it would take to change most procedures is a handful of like minded individuals going on tv, radio and writing the print media letters and we would be completely unscreened in about 3 months. As soon as we announce "we will never screen x again", that is an avenue that someone wanting to do damage would be able to use unchecked.

I have worked in high security areas many times in my past, and the patdowns that I have done for them were much more intrusive than anything TSA will ever do. If they do not search your collar, that is their choice - again, declining to search a known threat matrix is bad security. Have you ever watched Wild, Wild, West? He carried like a battleship in his collar! (I know, that is an outlandish comparison). When I was in the military, I had tons of things in my collar - a small penknife, 550 cord, a length of wire, and any other number of things (I even had a small screwdrivere and a pair of lockpicks at one time) I thought I might need handy if I was ever caught in a hot zone - want to know why? Because noone, NOONE ever patted down the collar when we were searched. Now, TSA has actually put into effect a search that checks collars, and I was absolutely astounded, becuse noone, NOONE has ever patted down collars.;)

Boggie Dog Feb 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 15852893)
The battery question is better answered by a lawyer or LEO from that location, as those laws vary from location to location.

Letting a known threat matrix go unscreened because it could be offensive to someone is poor security to begin with. If that is the defining rationale for screening procedures, then all it would take to change most procedures is a handful of like minded individuals going on tv, radio and writing the print media letters and we would be completely unscreened in about 3 months. As soon as we announce "we will never screen x again", that is an avenue that someone wanting to do damage would be able to use unchecked.

I have worked in high security areas many times in my past, and the patdowns that I have done for them were much more intrusive than anything TSA will ever do. If they do not search your collar, that is their choice - again, declining to search a known threat matrix is bad security. Have you ever watched Wild, Wild, West? He carried like a battleship in his collar! (I know, that is an outlandish comparison). When I was in the military, I had tons of things in my collar - a small penknife, 550 cord, a length of wire, and any other number of things (I even had a small screwdrivere and a pair of lockpicks at one time) I thought I might need handy if I was ever caught in a hot zone - want to know why? Because noone, NOONE ever patted down the collar when we were searched. Now, TSA has actually put into effect a search that checks collars, and I was absolutely astounded, becuse noone, NOONE has ever patted down collars.;)

Letting a known threat matrix go unscreened because it could be offensive to someone is poor security to begin with.

So letting a known threat matrix to unscreened is poor security.

Then please explain how TSA with all its wisdom allows body cavity weapons to go unscreened. A body cavity weapon has been deployed exactly as many times as a shoe bomb and an underwear bomb.

Are you suggesting that TSA is guilty of having poor security practices?

Tom M. Feb 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Letting a known threat matrix go unscreened because it could be offensive to someone is poor security to begin with.

And allowing known threat matrices go unscreened is already part of the TSA's SOP

When I was in the military, I had tons of things in my collar - a small penknife, 550 cord, a length of wire, and any other number of things (I even had a small screwdrivere and a pair of lockpicks at one time)

Using a hand held metal detector would allow TSO's to pinpoint areas where any metal is. If the handheld triggered on the hair or collar, OK. If not, there is no reason for the search.

550 cord isn't a prohibited item.

I thought I might need handy if I was ever caught in a hot zone - want to know why? Because noone, NOONE ever patted down the collar when we were searched. Now, TSA has actually put into effect a search that checks collars, and I was absolutely astounded, becuse noone, NOONE has ever patted down collars.;)[/QUOTE]

Cartoon Peril Feb 12, 2011 6:12 pm

1. Then why is there a "modified pat-down" (whatever that is) for children under 12?

2. If a threat to aircraft can be concealed in hair, then why isn't everyone's hair checked?

3. "Could be offensive" is not a reasonable description for what TSA is doing. It IS offensive. Any TSO who did the "enhanced pat-down" (or whatever it's called) anywhere else would be in prison. So it boots not to pretend it isn't offensive.

TSA would do better to simply acknowledge this and then make the claim that its offensive conduct is somehow necessary.

If that is the defining rationale for screening procedures, then all it would take to change most procedures is a handful of like minded individuals going on tv, radio and writing the print media letters and we would be completely unscreened in about 3 months.

1. No one is arguing for NO security. Indeed, there can be no real argument against an effective security regime. However, there are excellent reasons to believe that the TSA is running an ineffective security regime. These reasons start with the humiliation of the last line of defense, which is not the TSA's gate gropers, but rather the passengers themselves.

2. Is this an objection to the First Amendment?

doober Feb 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 15852980)

So letting a known threat matrix to unscreened is poor security.

Then please explain how TSA with all its wisdom allows body cavity weapons to go unscreened. A body cavity weapon has been deployed exactly as many times as a shoe bomb and an underwear bomb.

Are you suggesting that TSA is guilty of having poor security practices?

You are right on target. TSA should be setting GYN examination tables at checkpoints as well as tables for rectal exams if we are to accept the quote above. In addition, all passengers should be required to open their mouths so that TSA screeners can insert a finger in the mouth to check for weapons.

Instead, they are running their hands through people's hair, around their collars and in their pants and calling that "security."

eyecue Feb 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 15848407)
If you think about it, 'hair' could actually be a wig, this could be a place of concealment. Customs frisk searches in Australia will ask to touch your hair/wig to check for contraband.

Items could be concealed in a collar. Security at many many airports checks people's collars. They have been doing this at Amsterdam for many years (like the last 20 or more).

Face? I don't know.

Can you please give some links to where you have read that a person's face has been 'stroked'?

Nice post! And the face does not get touched

Mimi111 Feb 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue (Post 15853736)
Nice post! And the face does not get touched

Yes, it does. I have personally had this done, more than once. Just because you don't personally do it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

PhoenixRev Feb 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue (Post 15853736)
And the face does not get touched

How could you possibly know this is the case for every airport and every TSO screen in America?

You can't.

And I will tell you point blank that my forehead has been touched twice while performing a secondary screening.

And before you make some silly claim that the forehead is not really the face, I suggest you click these links:

Definition of "face" from Dictionary.com - See definition 1.

Definition of "face" from Merriam-Webster.com - See definition 1.

Wikipedia entry on "face" - See the first sentence of the entry.

CavePearl Feb 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 15851237)
Hair - Because dangerous items can be concealed in hair, and there is (as listed earlier) a chance it is a wig, and wigs can be used to conceal dangerous items as well.

My hair is short and bone straight. In the last two weeks my hair has been stroked at SAT, HOU, and HRL. In my opinion, it is by far the most disgusting part of the groping I received at all three airports. If a screener was actually looking at me for hidden items, it would be obvious that there is absolutely no way anything could be in my hair. In all three cases it was nothing more that the screeners "just following the rules." And we call passengers "sheeples?" I say the true sheeples are the TSA screeners.