Touching face and hair -- what is point?

Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by BSpeaker
It's the Stanford Prison experiment being played out in every airport in the nation.
Or, as another poster so eloquently put it:
Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril
This is a vast Milgram experiment[.]
Either way, it's all sick.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:33 pm
Suspended

I asked a TSA agent about the inconsistency from airport to airport and he said, "We do that on purpose. We don't want to be predictable to the criminals." So in their minds, they are doing it just fine.

It's the Stanford Prison experiment being played out in every airport in the nation. And, like sheep we acquiesce. Why? Because we - in that moment - have more important things to do... like board a plane. And we fear being put on a no-fly list. And they know that.
NOTHINGis more important than standing up for our right to not be treated as common criminals at TSA checkpoints. NOTHING!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:37 pm

I asked a TSA agent about the inconsistency from airport to airport and he said, "We do that on purpose. We don't want to be predictable to the criminals." So in their minds, they are doing it just fine.
And continuing this patriotic agent's line of reasoning, we should employ the same tactics in courts of law. Sometimes 12 members of a jury, sometimes 5, sometimes none, wheee! Criminals would be so confused. Perhaps laws themselves should be secret, and federal agents should have the unquestioned discretion to detain anyone they choose for whatever reason. Sure would confound those pesky criminals!

(That sound you hear is Jefferson and Madison spinning in their graves.)

Welcome to Smurf Village, where inconsistent application of the law is a means to confound supervillains, apparently.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I am comfortable with it for one unfair reason, I know the protocols. I also know that if my daughter were to have something untowards done during screening, I would raise Cain. I understand what you are saying, and I agree that things like the patdown could be made public (I have done so for a while now). I do not make those decisions, nor do I have all of the information on why that information is SSI.
Even though you know the correct protocols and I believe you treat the passengers with respect the same way you want your daughter treated with respect, doesn't mean every TSA Agent is following those protocols and if one of them was to do something to your daughter during a patdown. You raising cain would not turn back the clock and undo the damage done to her because of all this secrecy that TSA/DHS is insisting on when it comes to the patdowns. Because at one airport the patdown given to the passengers may be no big deal. At another airport that patdown maybe the passenger's worst nightmare. Particularly when they are allowing the TSA Agents to interpret the secret rules and apply them as they see fit at different airports.

Last edited by Lara21; Feb 17, 2011 at 3:40 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:18 pm

I am comfortable with it for one unfair reason, I know the protocols. I also know that if my daughter were to have something untowards done during screening, I would raise Cain. I understand what you are saying, and I agree that things like the patdown could be made public (I have done so for a while now). I do not make those decisions, nor do I have all of the information on why that information is SSI.
That's the difference. You would know if someone had done something they weren't supposed to. We wouldn't. Based on the abundance of stories here, it appears that many are not following SOP and their management is doing nothing to discourage this practice.

Last edited by Mimi111; Feb 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Tom M.
So you can understand why so many people are uncomfortable with it.

What would you do if you were not with your daughter and she described a pat down that did not follow protocol?
The TSA does not screen everyone equally.
I do understand the frustration and anger.

I would follow the procedure up until I got satisfaction, without fail.

That is a frustration of mine as well. There are exceptions due to a laundry list of reasons, and I disagree with exceptions. The only exceptions should be ones made for necessity, such as using alternate screening methods that provide the same level of screening. I have said many times that I do not have a problem with screening when entering the sterile area (as well as screening all people that enter the sterile area), but I seem to be in a minority.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lara21
Even though you know the correct protocols and I believe you treat the passengers with respect the same way you want your daughter treated with respect, doesn't mean every TSA Agent is following those protocols and if one of them was to do something to your daughter during a patdown. You raising cain would not turn back the clock and undo the damage done to her because of all this secrecy that TSA/DHS is insisting on when it comes to the patdowns. Because at one airport the patdown given to the passengers may be no big deal. At another airport that patdown maybe the passenger's worst nightmare. Particularly when they are allowing the TSA Agents to interpret the secret rules and apply them as they see fit at different airports.
I agree with you. Inconsistency has been my biggest frustration while in the employ of TSA. All employees should follow the SOP, failure to do so should result in discipline - period.

Originally Posted by Mimi111
That's the difference. You would know if someone had done something they weren't supposed to. We wouldn't. Based on the many many stories here, it appears that many are not following SOP and their management is doing nothing to discourage this practice.
Again, I hate the inconsistency, it has been my biggest frustration since coming here. I understand your frustration.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would follow the procedure up until I got satisfaction, without fail.
The problem is you are not in control. All the TSA has to say is that there is not enough information to identify the specific TSO.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:43 pm

Does she want to fly today?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:01 pm

The problem is you are not in control. All the TSA has to say is that there is not enough information to identify the specific TSO.
I understand, but that does not mean I would not fight the fight. I may never get satisfaction (and most likely that would be the case, because the only way to get satisfaction is to not have it happen in the first place), but I would fight until I had nothing left to fight. That is why I encourage all passengers that have a bad experience to file it, more things would happen to the betterment of the organization (and by extension the passengers) if they did.

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Does she want to fly today?

Already on record as hating that phrase, throwing stones at someone that agrees is not a good path to walk. (Now, if ths was a jest and I completely missed it, please accept my apologies. If not, please reread the original comment again)
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is why I encourage all passengers that have a bad experience to file it, more things would happen to the betterment of the organization (and by extension the passengers) if they did.
Again back to the problem that 'all passengers' are not allowed to know the limits. How can you complaints be effective if we aren't allowed to know what is allowed and not allowed.

Already on record as hating that phrase, throwing stones at someone that agrees is not a good path to walk. (Now, if ths was a jest and I completely missed it, please accept my apologies. If not, please reread the original comment again)
Here is the problem, there is evidence of people being arrested at the checkpoint and they were not 'raise cain'
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:13 pm

Again back to the problem that 'all passengers' are not allowed to know the limits. How can you complaints be effective if we aren't allowed to know what is allowed and not allowed.

Here is the problem, there is evidence of people being arrested at the checkpoint and they were not 'raise cain'
I have already agreed that it is frustrating, and that I do not agree with it. If the passengers keep filing the coplaints and load the system up, somone that has 2 or more complaints for the same thing, will come under increased scrutiny. Even if it is for the wrong reasons or the right reasons, that level of scrutiny will increase (wrong being - self preservation right being - it is simply the right thing to do to try and remove this type of behavior from the workplace). If you continue to increase that scrutiny the chance of someone getting busted outright increases and presto - one less dirtbag that sullies my name and organization. I realize this is a simple way of looking at things, but it is one way of forcing things to change.

I disagree with wrongful arrests in any form, the checkpoint is no exception. Most likely I would be raising Cain afterwards, but I would still do so to the best of my ability.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. Even if it is for the wrong reasons or the right reasons, that level of scrutiny will increase (wrong being - self preservation right being - it is simply the right thing to do to try and remove this type of behavior from the workplace).
So if we complain about pat downs as being done now, the TSA will 'remove this type of behavior from the workplace'?

Sorry, if that were true, it would have already happened and Bob wouldn't be posting

"Like we've said before, we respect the privacy of passengers, but security comes first."

Last edited by Tom M.; Feb 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:40 pm

Gsoltso,

Unfortunately, for each common sense post you put out, you have co-workers baiting and demeaning the travelling public.

I don't even have to name the author of these, any regular visitor can recognize the tone.

No one can compel you to answer a question. No one. If you don’t want to answer, don’t answer. Its your decision, feel free to make it however you like. As with all things in life though, there are consequences for our actions.
All choices have consequences, the difference is that some are good consequences and some are not. Logic would state that we choose the one we wish.
Besides, shouldn’t there be a consequence for those who break the rules? There are millions of laws out there and no one knows even a small fraction of them.
Did I say that after saying “no” that you would be allowed to leave? After beginning screening? I don’t remember saying that. In any case we won’t nail you to the floor or tackle you if you do try to leave. We leave that kind of stuff to the LEO’s.
But as with everything in life there are consequences for our actions, both good and bad. Which you get depends on the decisions you make. So, when you refuse to cooperate with the screening process do not be surprised if the consequence of that decision is not something you want.

After all, there is no constitutionally guaranteed right to get on that aircraft now is there.
Unfortunately for those "good guys" who are left in the organization, everytime one of your partners represents you like this, it further validates an ugly TSA image in most peoples' minds, and they react accordingly.

When is the TSA going to start weeding these public relation train wrecks out???
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I have already agreed that it is frustrating, and that I do not agree with it. If the passengers keep filing the coplaints and load the system up, somone that has 2 or more complaints for the same thing, will come under increased scrutiny. Even if it is for the wrong reasons or the right reasons, that level of scrutiny will increase (wrong being - self preservation right being - it is simply the right thing to do to try and remove this type of behavior from the workplace). If you continue to increase that scrutiny the chance of someone getting busted outright increases and presto - one less dirtbag that sullies my name and organization. I realize this is a simple way of looking at things, but it is one way of forcing things to change.
Two words: Stacey Armato.

Held for an hour, missed her flight, raised Cain (and then some), documented on video...

And Blogdad Bob says:
Originally Posted by BB
proper procedures were followed.
...We extend our sincere apologies to any passenger who may have experienced discomfort and inconvenience during the screening process. We appreciate hearing from passengers and encourage you to share your experiences with us. Although the proper screening procedures were followed at the time, we acknowledge this particular passenger experienced an out of the ordinary delay, and have worked with our officers to ensure we proceed with expediency in screening situations similar to this.
Followup story from Stacey Armato said that despite all this "training" (probably a memo stuck on the wall in the break room ) she continued to have the same problems at the checkpoint for months.
On 4/22/10, after one of the final trips I took with breast milk, I emailed the Phoenix TSA customer service manager. I wanted to make sure he knew that every week since 2/1/10, I had been instructed to place the milk through x-ray and had to ask again for an alternate screening…every single time. I brought this to his attention so he knew the agents still had no knowledge or, possibly, no regard for the breast milk screening rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.