FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Congress considers criminalizing the posting of TSA scan images (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1182514-congress-considers-criminalizing-posting-tsa-scan-images.html)

OrlandoFlyer Feb 10, 2011 8:57 am

Congress considers criminalizing the posting of TSA scan images

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/brief...0scan%20images

doober Feb 10, 2011 8:59 am

Link didn't work for me.

Spiff Feb 10, 2011 9:05 am

ExecutiveGov Article

"Sens. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) offered the legislation as an amendment to the Federal Aviation Administration’s reauthorization bill currently before the Senate.

According to a press release from Schumer’s office, the law bars any person with access to scanned body images — whether TSA employees or members of the public — from photographing or distributing those images. It carries penalties of up to one year in prison, and as much as $100,000 in fines.."

Pity they aren't proposing criminalizing the creation of such images. :(

bocastephen Feb 10, 2011 9:06 am

The link does not work - but what's the point of this legislation? Who are they trying to protect here?

Sounds to me like they are helping the TSA hide the reality of how detailed these images are....

Italy98 Feb 10, 2011 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 15838804)
ExecutiveGov Article

"Sens. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) offered the legislation as an amendment to the Federal Aviation Administration’s reauthorization bill currently before the Senate.

According to a press release from Schumer’s office, the law bars any person with access to scanned body images — whether TSA employees or members of the public — from photographing or distributing those images. It carries penalties of up to one year in prison, and as much as $100,000 in fines.."

Pity they aren't proposing criminalizing the creation of such images. :(

+1

neko Feb 10, 2011 9:17 am

Umm. Aren't these the machines that they told us weren't capable of storing or sending images? Why on earth would it be necessary to make it illegal to distribute them :rolleyes:

Sen. Charles E. Schumer D-NY
email
Contact: 322 Hart Senate Office Building; Washington D.C. 20510; 202 224-6542

Sen. Ben Nelson D-NE
email
Contact: 720 Hart Senate Office Building; Washington, DC 20510; 202 224-6551

bocastephen Feb 10, 2011 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
Sens. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) ....

Ah, the usual obnoxious suspect....

Al Coholic Feb 10, 2011 9:33 am

I repeat what I said in an earlier thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post15385545

sheneh Feb 10, 2011 9:42 am

It's a useless step to help calm fears of people who are worried about their images ending up online (I don't really believe that would happen but it doesn't comfort me) and get a couple more people to fall in step. It's also pretty standard for govt employees handling private information about the public. For example see Title 26 section 7213.

oboshoe Feb 10, 2011 10:31 am

If they can't be stored, then this legislation is pointless.

If they can be stored, the real problem is that TSA is lying to the public...and THAT should be criminalized. This law as proposed will be abused and just be another incremental limit on freedom of speech.

Frankly, I am hoping that some clueless TSA peeping tom posts some of these images on the Internet. The resulting outcry will be helpful to those who oppose TSA terrorism.

Saitek Feb 10, 2011 11:02 am

the problem here is that the govt is no longer made up of public servants, but govt officials.

a public servant must answer to the people.

an official, does not, because they are 'above' you, like your boss, is above you.

sefrischling Feb 10, 2011 11:05 am

The Bill applies to all Gov't agencies using AIT scanners.

The TSA scanners are incapable of storing or transmitting images while in service at an airport. With only 15 people in the entire TSA with Level Z authorization and the clearance to place an AIT into "Test Mode" ... and the inability to place a scanner into Test Mode while in an airport, TSOs cannot save or send images. An image must be wiped before the best one appears.

There is not even a USB port on these scanners.

Has anyone seen a TSA AIT image create in an airport under live use .. not a media event?

No, you haven't (unless you're a TSO in the box ...who is required to surrender their phone when they go in).

Flaflyer Feb 10, 2011 11:25 am

I would feel much better if the law required one exemption before the law went into effect. In the name of transparency they need to release one set of maximum resolution scans so we can see what these "safe for the cover of Reader's Digest" scans really show.

oboshoe Feb 10, 2011 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sefrischling (Post 15839646)

No, you haven't (unless you're a TSO in the box ...who is required to surrender their phone when they go in).

Is this TSO scanned by the AIT, or rubbed down to make sure he doesn't have a phone or camera before stepping into the peepshow box?

If not, this requirement is just propaganda.

gsoltso Feb 10, 2011 11:31 am

I think this is a positive development. It lays framework for punishment if anyone using AIT (for any branch of the government based on what I have read) publishes the imagery. The systems in TSA are set in place without the capabilities (not certain if it is software or hardware or both - I have been unable to find that particular information), some other government entities do not have the same protocols in place. This legislation can put in place a set of rules in case someone were to figure out a way to game the system at ANY location and publish the images. I like it, it not only can help to give peace of mind to folks undergoing the scans, it can place definable punishments if you violate the public trust. I actually give this a big ^.