Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA Denies Springfield Airport Private Screeners (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

What now Rep. Mica?

Just askin'.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:28 pm

I suspect this is the first of many such denials.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:33 pm

Maybe if everyone in Springfield agreed to a pat-down? @:-)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mimi111
I suspect this is the first of many such denials.
Yep, and that's why I gotta ask, "What now Mr. Mica?" He's the one who recommended airports opt out. If the TSA shoots them down claiming "no benefit to the Federal Government", then I take serious issue with this.

The TSA isn't supposed to be run for the benefit of the Federal Government - or is it?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by ElizabethConley
Yep, and that's why I gotta ask, "What now Mr. Mica?" He's the one who recommended airports opt out. If the TSA shoots them down claiming "no benefit to the Federal Government", then I take serious issue with this.

The TSA isn't supposed to be run for the benefit of the Federal Government - or is it?
Certainly seems that they've turned into the, or of one the, enforcement arm(s) for the government.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:53 pm

I guess they are just protecting the jobs of the TSA Agents before the unions get involved.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: OnePass
According to the article, Pissy says they will deny all requests, that there will be no private contractors except for the 16 airports that have them.

What now, Rep. Mica?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by mikemey
According to the article, Pissy says they will deny all requests, that there will be no private contractors except for the 16 airports that have them.

What now, Rep. Mica?
Defund them
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Springfield News-Leader
And TSA Administrator John Pistole also indicated TSA was eliminating the use of private screeners at airports nationwide, except for 16 that already have them in place.

“Shortly after beginning as TSA Administrator, I directed a full review of TSA policies with the goal of helping the agency evolve into a more agile, high-performing organization that can meet the security threats of today and the future,” said Pistole.

“As part of that review, I examined the contractor screening program and decided not to expand the program beyond the current 16 airports as I do not see any clear or substantial advantage to do so at this time.”
A "more agile, high-performing organization"? Fat chance.

Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Springfield News-Leader
And TSA Administrator John Pistole also indicated TSA was eliminating the use of private screeners at airports nationwide, except for 16 that already have them in place.

“Shortly after beginning as TSA Administrator, I directed a full review of TSA policies with the goal of helping the agency evolve into a more agile, high-performing organization that can meet the security threats of today and the future,” said Pistole.

As part of that review, I examined the contractor screening program and decided not to expand the program beyond the current 16 airports as I do not see any clear or substantial advantage to do so at this time.”
This is going to be news to a lot of people....
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by mikemey

What now, Rep. Mica?
Contact info: Rep. John Mica R-FL-7 phone: (202) 225-4035, email, facebook, staff contact info

Rep. Mica's recent op-ed in the Orlando Sentinel

Springfield-Branson Airport is owned by the City of Springfield (contact info) and is in the Mo-7 district.
Contact info: Rep. Billy Long (R-MO-7), phone: (202) 225-6536, contact info

I think people should be asking some hard questions...Congress has oversight.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
[ snip] "I do not see any clear or substantial advantage to do so" at this time.” Getting rid of the TSA - priceless.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
“Since we’ve had the TSA, there’s always been a consistent undercurrent where customer service hasn’t always been good.”

He (airport manager Gary Cyr) believed private-company screeners would bring a different mindset that’s more oriented toward customer service.

Gee, what a surprise.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
[ snip] "I do not see any clear or substantial advantage to do so" at this time.” Getting rid of the TSA - priceless.
Here is my opinion on why they are denying the private organizations.

If a private organization has to take over they have to perform all the same procedures that TSA would. However, considering how close TSA walks the line of what is acceptable and unacceptable and IMO frequently jumps way over that line, then I believe many of these private security employees would be taken to court since they do not have the government protection that TSA has.

Once in court TSA could be forced to reveal things they consider SSI, or worse yet a judge could rule that the procedures that are taking place are a violation of a person's right to privacy and then everything else goes.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:24 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
My gut says more invasive procedures are on the way and the fewer private security companies whose contracts must be terminated to ensure control later, the easier it will be to implement them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.