Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United at SFO T3 is safe but can be tricky.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:49 am
Original Poster

United at SFO T3 is safe but can be tricky.

So our last leg of our last ever flight in the US (until TSA is reined back in) was yesterday and because of this forum my entire family was able to avoid TSA sexual assault on each of our 4 legs (CUN-DFW,DFW-SFO,SFO-DFW, DFW-CUN). I've updated the 1st 3 on my original thread but because the sticky still has a ? next to A12 at DFW I thought I'd start a thread. Because of our flight out and this forum I knew that I could get to any gate from A12 at DFW and I knew A12 had only metal detectors. We had the hotel shuttle drop us off at A12 and then got in line. 2 adults, 4 children, 1 dog and 14 carryons. Oh yes, we are the family you HATE to get behind. I did my best and ran the items through and off, paired up oldest and youngest kids to get them through and ferrying items from the end of the machine to seating area, but I imagine some of you business travelers were more than annoyed to get stuck behind us (though I did have 2 people come up and thank me afterwards for "good job"). But on both 12-15 and yesterday A12 at DFW had just metal detectors running (and no cancer machine installed). We then jumped on Skytrain and headed to terminal D.

So, boarding at SFO I had read that United T3 could be safe. I scoped out the c/p's and AA was full of cancer machines and full. United had a short line and only metal detectors! So the 4 kids, hubby, dog and our 14 carryons headed to United only to have the gatekeeper try to stop us and turn us around to the AA checkpoint. I told him point blank, "we're HERE and we're going through THIS c/p" He tried to bluster something about the dog needing a permit and I told him "we don't even live in this COUNTRY how are we supposed to get a PERMIT? and blew him off" He tried to make trouble for us with the TSA at the checkpoint but they said the dog definitely did NOT need a permit (to me, not him) and ignored him. He was definitely pissed that I wouldn't go over to the AA c/p and insisted on using the (safe) United one. Interestingly, absolutely Every Single Person with a AA ticket that came to the gatekeeper sheepled over to the AA c/p when he directed them there.

So, you can use the safe United c/p at T3 at SFO but you have to insist on it. Living in Mexico I'm used to ignoring people in "authority" (NEVER stop when a transito (traffic policeman) tries to flag you to pull over) so maybe that's why it never occurred to me that I should obey the gatekeeper.

Thank you all SO MUCH for all your advice and help. I had flashbacks for a month in anticipation of this trip but your advice on how to navigate the airports made this trip a success. And I've written AA, Disney and La Quinta that we will not be coming back to the US (we fly back 2x yearly) until the TSA is reined in.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kathy_caribe
So our last leg of our last ever flight in the US (until TSA is reined back in) was yesterday and because of this forum my entire family was able to avoid TSA sexual assault on each of our 4 legs (CUN-DFW,DFW-SFO,SFO-DFW, DFW-CUN). I've updated the 1st 3 on my original thread but because the sticky still has a ? next to A12 at DFW I thought I'd start a thread. Because of our flight out and this forum I knew that I could get to any gate from A12 at DFW and I knew A12 had only metal detectors. We had the hotel shuttle drop us off at A12 and then got in line. 2 adults, 4 children, 1 dog and 14 carryons. Oh yes, we are the family you HATE to get behind. I did my best and ran the items through and off, paired up oldest and youngest kids to get them through and ferrying items from the end of the machine to seating area, but I imagine some of you business travelers were more than annoyed to get stuck behind us (though I did have 2 people come up and thank me afterwards for "good job"). But on both 12-15 and yesterday A12 at DFW had just metal detectors running (and no cancer machine installed). We then jumped on Skytrain and headed to terminal D.

So, boarding at SFO I had read that United T3 could be safe. I scoped out the c/p's and AA was full of cancer machines and full. United had a short line and only metal detectors! So the 4 kids, hubby, dog and our 14 carryons headed to United only to have the gatekeeper try to stop us and turn us around to the AA checkpoint. I told him point blank, "we're HERE and we're going through THIS c/p" He tried to bluster something about the dog needing a permit and I told him "we don't even live in this COUNTRY how are we supposed to get a PERMIT? and blew him off" He tried to make trouble for us with the TSA at the checkpoint but they said the dog definitely did NOT need a permit (to me, not him) and ignored him. He was definitely pissed that I wouldn't go over to the AA c/p and insisted on using the (safe) United one. Interestingly, absolutely Every Single Person with a AA ticket that came to the gatekeeper sheepled over to the AA c/p when he directed them there.

So, you can use the safe United c/p at T3 at SFO but you have to insist on it. Living in Mexico I'm used to ignoring people in "authority" (NEVER stop when a transito (traffic policeman) tries to flag you to pull over) so maybe that's why it never occurred to me that I should obey the gatekeeper.

Thank you all SO MUCH for all your advice and help. I had flashbacks for a month in anticipation of this trip but your advice on how to navigate the airports made this trip a success. And I've written AA, Disney and La Quinta that we will not be coming back to the US (we fly back 2x yearly) until the TSA is reined in.
Thank God neither your nor your husband and children were radiated or molested. But the very fact that you had to go through all this nonsense is just absurd. Please stick around and join us with more of our debates.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
So, you can use the safe United c/p at T3 at SFO but you have to insist on it.
I regularly use the UA checkpoint there, most recently for an AA flight just before Christmas to JFK, and no one has ever said a thing to me. If you didn't have the dog I wonder if they'd care.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tom911
I regularly use the UA checkpoint there, most recently for an AA flight just before Christmas to JFK, and no one has ever said a thing to me. If you didn't have the dog I wonder if they'd care.
+1

Unless they were trying to access the UA elite lane, I don't see the big deal.. Considering AA & UA can be accessed from either lane, I wonder why they made such a big deal. to the line dragon
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
The only thing you lose is access to the elite line. Sometimes I use this line since that's where the long term parking bus drops you off outside. Just tell them you don't want to backtrack on your way to Gordon Biersch.

For the record, it's usually United reps who are turning people away, not the actual TSA. Also for the record, SFO uses MMW, not ionizing x-ray radiation. However, it doesn't mean I don't support your self-directed opt-out and standing your ground at the checkpoint. ^
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:24 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
So the 4 kids, hubby, dog and our 14 carryons headed to United only to have the gatekeeper try to stop us and turn us around to the AA checkpoint.
Sounds like the same group of idiots who "monitor" the WN/AS checkpoint at T1 and yell at you some heavy foreign accent.

I've always ignored them. I never show them my BP, A-list/MVPG card or whatever else they demand. The TSOs dislike them, too.

Glad you made it through hassle free!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
I'd probably think the same except this gatekeeper (don't think he was TSA) was turning away ANYONE with an AA ticket (and they headed over to the cancer machines at AA's checkpoint).
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majuki
The only thing you lose is access to the elite line. Sometimes I use this line since that's where the long term parking bus drops you off outside. Just tell them you don't want to backtrack on your way to Gordon Biersch.

For the record, it's usually United reps who are turning people away, not the actual TSA. Also for the record, SFO uses MMW, not ionizing x-ray radiation. However, it doesn't mean I don't support your self-directed opt-out and standing your ground at the checkpoint. ^
I'm ignorant enough not to have researched the difference but my biggest reason for using the metal detectors only was the avoidance of a grope. I had my 9yo and 11yo daughters and my 14yo and 16yo sons and I would have been in jail (seriously, I would have gone ape ....) if TSA even considered touching them, so I was just trying to avoid jail time.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I'd probably think the same except this gatekeeper (don't think he was TSA) was turning away ANYONE with an AA ticket (and they headed over to the cancer machines at AA's checkpoint).
It's definitely not TSA who controls the line. It's a company called AirServ, which works in a number of airports.. They do this, as well as bag tagging, wheelchair service, etc..
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Sounds like the same group of idiots who "monitor" the WN/AS checkpoint at T1 and yell at you some heavy foreign accent.

I've always ignored them. I never show them my BP, A-list/MVPG card or whatever else they demand. The TSOs dislike them, too.

Glad you made it through hassle free!
Thanks. It was nerve wracking and I'm glad we will not be going through that again. If I'd known when I bought the tickets, we never would have traveled.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

Unless they were trying to access the UA elite lane, I don't see the big deal.. Considering AA & UA can be accessed from either lane, I wonder why they made such a big deal. to the line dragon
Yeah, TSA was scratching their heads too but they eventually ignored him. I didn't see any elite lane - it was one entrance only.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, TSA was scratching their heads too but they eventually ignored him. I didn't see any elite lane - it was one entrance only.
Don't worry about it Next time, just ignore them! They don't have any authority to stop you from using the UA lane.. Safe (and non NoS/Grope free) travels! ^
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Good for the OP.

AA today was empty, which means everyone gets the MMW machine or the grope. I chose the grope , but my stuff was making a big mess for other passengers as I had two bags and 4 tubs piled up on the belt (which I could barely see in the penalty box). One guy nearly picked up my iPad instead of his because we had the same type of cover. Fortunately, he was honest and we turned on both side by side to check which was which.

The TSA had nothing much going on but made me wait in the penalty box for quite some time.

God this sucks so much. I had managed to avoid the grope for several weeks by carefully choosing my lane, but AA at SFO is definitely dangerous territory now. I'd rather wait in the non-status line at UA and will do so going forward.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makfan
Good for the OP.

AA today was empty, which means everyone gets the MMW machine or the grope. I chose the grope , but my stuff was making a big mess for other passengers as I had two bags and 4 tubs piled up on the belt (which I could barely see in the penalty box). One guy nearly picked up my iPad instead of his because we had the same type of cover. Fortunately, he was honest and we turned on both side by side to check which was which.

The TSA had nothing much going on but made me wait in the penalty box for quite some time.

God this sucks so much. I had managed to avoid the grope for several weeks by carefully choosing my lane, but AA at SFO is definitely dangerous territory now. I'd rather wait in the non-status line at UA and will do so going forward.
FYI, you can leave your iPad in your carry-on, reducing the chance that you'll have somebody try and walk off with it.. Were you able to get the TEAM SFO clerks to bring your luggage to you?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
FYI, you can leave your iPad in your carry-on, reducing the chance that you'll have somebody try and walk off with it.. Were you able to get the TEAM SFO clerks to bring your luggage to you?
That is good to know.

Yes, the whole kerfuffle over the iPad was going on when they were having me point to which bags and tubs were mine. Another passenger said that I was taking his iPad, then we realized there were two with the exact same case. The other pax actually had them reversed, so I am glad the TSO allowed us to turn them both on and check which was which.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I suppose the one, tiny benefit of SFO is that they have MMW and not BackCancer machines. Then again, they WORK IN SAN FRANCISCO and file sexual assault charges when gay men have natural responses to male fondling of their sex organs.

It's definitely not TSA who controls the line. It's a company called AirServ, which works in a number of airports.. They do this, as well as bag tagging, wheelchair service, etc..
I don't know if this is how the United GSCs have trained them, but AirServ staff at UA terminals are especially surly. I've had them start huge arguments at the T6 LAX entrance over really small things. And they are ridiculous about the way they treat non-United passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.