Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Story From Seattle About Employees Not Being Screened

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Passengers are equally shocked to learn that while they run the gauntlet of airport security, employees breeze through. Seattle traveler Chris Rudin put it this way, "If we're getting gate-raped - they should get gate-raped too."
Story.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
But the Transportation Security Administration insists this is not a weak spot, because they use a multi-layered approach to security. TSA Spokesman Dwayne Baird says, "there are all kinds of people who are always watching what these people are doing."
Truly demonstrates how absolutely stupid and unaccountable these TSA morons are.

This is not a weak spot?? This (along with through-the-fence ops) is THE weak spot - the NUMBER ONE weak spot before cargo and well ahead of everyday passengers.

Retarded idiots - these people don't have a single redeeming quality whatsoever.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:13 am
Suspended

But the Transportation Security Administration insists this is not a weak spot, because they use a multi-layered approach to security. TSA Spokesman Dwayne Baird says, "there are all kinds of people who are always watching what these people are doing."
And yet theft is still rampant - and some of the thieves caught so far have been TSA stuporvisors.

Who watches them?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:14 am

thanks for posting this interesting story.

a couple of things jump out at you:

1. the POV of the article is everyone but TSA can recognize this as a problem
2. instead of addressing/admitting and most importantly FIXING, the problem, notice the spontaneous reaction--lies-- from TSA (got it covered, random checks, bla bla bla). This tendency appears endemic from the front line staff to Blogger Bob to the top of TSA. The direct cause of their credibility gap.

can you imagine the extra cost and overhead of truly securing those areas? Apparently TSA would rather spend the money on pax screening devices that don't screen very well.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
thanks for posting this interesting story.

a couple of things jump out at you:

1. the POV of the article is everyone but TSA can recognize this as a problem
2. instead of addressing/admitting and most importantly FIXING, the problem, notice the spontaneous reaction--lies-- from TSA (got it covered, random checks, bla bla bla). This tendency appears endemic from the front line staff to Blogger Bob to the top of TSA. The direct cause of their credibility gap.

can you imagine the extra cost and overhead of truly securing those areas? Apparently TSA would rather spend the money on pax screening devices that don't screen very well.
If TSA Public Spokesmen had to be completely honest in every communication then TSA's PR department would be out of business.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:45 am

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
TSA's reasons for why it isn't necessary for their screeners to undergo the exact same screening that passengers do is hubris...additional TSA smoke and mirrors.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
It's a story that's been covered before at SEA, and of course elsewhere, for example that pilot filming at SFO who brought down the whole weight of the federal government on his head.

As far as employees, I have a sincere question that somebody can undoubtedly answer. How extensive can the background checks for employees be when some have immigrated to the U.S. fairly recently? It wouldn't be practical or even possible to run Interpol-type checks with some of the countries of origin, would it? I'm thinking of basics such as criminal records.

Since Mrs. Fredd and I have each experienced one "opt-out" groping search at our "home" SEA already in 2011, and expect to be the recipients of more, I can't help but feel pax are being singled out. Airline employees are exempt, airport employees are exempt, and children under 12 are exempt. Who's left?

I think there's a consensus here that all these exemptions destroy the rationale for the more intensive screening, and I really wonder if and when the public at large will come to realize that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.