why was this Greyhound bus hijacked?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
why was this Greyhound bus hijacked?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020402394.html

I thought the prevailing wisdom was that hijackings were pre-9/11. Now passengers won't stand for being hijacked so they will stand up and take down the hijackers themselves. Does this little theory only apply to traveling in metal tubes in the sky? When they're on the ground people don't mind being hijacked?

Authorities in North Carolina have identified a Virginia man they say hijacked a Greyhound bus traveling from Richmond to Raleigh.

North Carolina Highway Patrol Sgt. Jeff Gordon says 32-year-old Jose Flores was taken into custody late Thursday near Norlina, about 60 miles north of Raleigh.

The Warren County Sheriff's Office is handling the case. Sheriff Johnny Williams didn't immediately return a phone call Friday morning, but jail officials say Flores is charged with kidnapping.

Police say Flores pulled a gun on a bus with 35 passengers and ordered the driver to relinquish the bus. Police surrounded the bus after it pulled into a gas station and Flores was arrested after being shocked with a stun gun.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020402394.html

I thought the prevailing wisdom was that hijackings were pre-9/11. Now passengers won't stand for being hijacked so they will stand up and take down the hijackers themselves. Does this little theory only apply to traveling in metal tubes in the sky? When they're on the ground people don't mind being hijacked?
My guess is this was Plan B, if there are no aircraft available at the (bus) terminal, hijack a bus. @:-)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:54 am

As if travelling by Greyhound wasn't bad enough, how long until the TSA starts showing up?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by a7800
As if travelling by Greyhound wasn't bad enough, how long until the TSA starts showing up?
Probably depends on how long it takes Rapiscan and Chertoff to recruit a few more "security threats" to show us all what we need to be protected from.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
Totally different situation.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sheneh
Totally different situation.
Why?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I think passengers would act if anyone tried to take control (enter the flight deck) in the manner of 9/11. Had this guy tried to drive the bus maybe there would have been a reaction but he wasn't going to fly it into a building. There's even less room on a Greyhound to mount a counterattack but one of the passengers did try kinda: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/303300
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:10 am

It's different because crashing a bus is far less likely to involve fatalities.

And TSA has started doing searches in Greyhound stations (do a forum search) and has even been spotted at city buses such as COTA in Columbus, OH.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Had the hijacker showed the intention of ramming into a school or packed restaurant or any conceivable high collateral damage target outside the bus, the dynamic would have changed significantly. The 9/11 flight happened the way it did to protect innocents that would die on the ground and not specifically to protect the passengers, although that may have been a hopeful outcome that did not happen.

In this case, it seems all he wanted was the bus and there was no credible threat to the passengers, at least not as reported. There is no need to risk ones life to save a bus.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Had the hijacker showed the intention of ramming into a school or packed restaurant or any conceivable high collateral damage target outside the bus, the dynamic would have changed significantly. The 9/11 flight happened the way it did to protect innocents that would die on the ground and not specifically to protect the passengers, although that may have been a hopeful outcome that did not happen.

In this case, it seems all he wanted was the bus and there was no credible threat to the passengers, at least not as reported. There is no need to risk ones life to save a bus.
Boy there is a lot of mind-reading going on here. How in the world do the passengers know what the intentions of the hijacker are? You're extrapolating based on what happened in the end. The pax don't know what happens in the end when they're in the moment. @:-)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Boy there is a lot of mind-reading going on here. How in the world do the passengers know what the intentions of the hijacker are? You're extrapolating based on what happened in the end. The pax don't know what happens in the end when they're in the moment. @:-)
No, I read the brief report, it said he asked for the bus. I based my statement on that. It said nothing about threats to any passenger except the driver. I reserve the right to modify my statement and recognize you are correct when all of the info is known.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Boy there is a lot of mind-reading going on here.
Starting at post #1. Perhaps if you tell us what answer you wanted to evoke, we can move on.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Starting at post #1. Perhaps if you tell us what answer you wanted to evoke, we can move on.
I think the answer is pretty clear: the "hijackings won't happen anymore" theory is BS. @:-)

Indeed one of the things people on this forum point to as evidence is the fact that hijackings don't happen on Greyhound. We now know that's wrong.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
No, I read the brief report, it said he asked for the bus. I based my statement on that. It said nothing about threats to any passenger except the driver. I reserve the right to modify my statement and recognize you are correct when all of the info is known.
Why does the driver need to threaten the passengers? Taking control of the bus is the threat. @:-)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
The risk of fatality in a bus crash controlled by a hijacker is much lower than that of an airplane at 30,000 feet. If I do nothing and the bus crashes, I probably get away with some injuries. There is probably a higher chance of getting fatally shot by rushing the gunman. There is also help (police) readily available on the ground that can end the situation, as they did. Until the situation escalates to the bus about to being driven off a cliff, the action with the lowest risk of personal injury is complying and waiting for police.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.