Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Are you trying to tell me how to do my job?"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
"Are you trying to tell me how to do my job?"

I was wondering if anyone else had heard this from TSO's lately?

There was a time when I would hear this question occasionally, but that was back in the day, when I was traveling with protein shakes, yogurts, bottles of Fuze and other contraband that was important for me to travel with. I stopped carrying these things because I was getting a bit fed up of having to get pharmacy labels placed on everything and writing my own letters explaining that I was under my own medical care, and no longer needed medication because I was using diet to control it, etc, etc. I don't know how many arguments I got into with ignorant TSO's and supervisors who thought it necessary to make medical pronouncements on what they thought I should be doing and taking, and I eventually stopped keeping track of how many letters I wrote to the TX Board of Medical Examiners complaining about TSO's practicing medicine and making determinations on what was and wasn't reasonable. However, the question "Are you trying to tell me how to do my job?" was always a predictable response following one's explanation of why one needed certain items and in particular when relating how TSO's at other airports handled such situations. I was always curious why some TSO's took an explanation of what I had experienced elsewhere as some kind of throwdown, when I was merely explaining why I needed to travel with certain items. Anyone with special needs getting this sort of response these days?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I have not been told this directly, but I know that some of the clerks are thinking this when I tell them to use a new swab to reduce the chance of a false positive. In some cases, they refuse, like the arrogant clerk did at MCI.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
I have gotten it a couple of times in reguards to medical liquids and items they were calling "weapons", with the most recently incidnet with my IV and med roll that was in my carryon and I had that they wanted to say I couldnt take with me.

Its always lead to a butting of heads as some of the stupidity and incompetence has crossed the lines, as TSA has long since worn out its welcome. I reply "yes, I am telling you how to do your job since you were either incompetantly & improperly trained and/or making up/pulling "policy"/"rules"/"laws" from where the sun dont shine. While your getting your supervisor why dont you get the GSC, the FSD and a LEO." That typically gets the point across that there not going to be able to pull any stunts.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:41 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I had a bank teller ask me that once. I replied yes because obviously you can't count. Five $20's make $100 not 4.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:21 am

Programs: QFF
"no. of course not. wouldn't dream of it. I'm suggesting that the people who decide what your job is don't know what they are doing."
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:06 am

"No Problem! Glad to be of help!" delivered with a smile and enthusiasm.

Is a responsive, friendly and just enough plausibly denied obtuseness that ignores their annoyances.

Then they'll have to go over the top to express their passenger hatred....which you can then react with shock over the crazy TSO acting like a loon.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by oboshoe
^^ - I think a little humor can defuse situations (on both sides).
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:17 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by oboshoe
and tack to the end of that 'remember, we're in this as a partnership'...

and hopefully, just hopefully, their head will explode
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
With fists clenched, arms outstretched and shirt pulled over your head say in your best Beavis voice, 'Are you threatening me?'
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:42 am

Are we supposed to back off and act horrified when asked "are you telling me how to do my job"?

"Well clearly I AM telling you how to do your job" would be the appropriate answer, wouldn't it?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: QFF
"No, I'm telling you how to do my job. I can't imagine why anyone would want your job."

Last edited by Himeno; Feb 3, 2011 at 3:07 am
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oldjonesy
Are we supposed to back off and act horrified when asked "are you telling me how to do my job"?

"Well clearly I AM telling you how to do your job" would be the appropriate answer, wouldn't it?
So would: "Hmmm. The stupid is strong in this one..."
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oldjonesy

"No, I'm simply talking to myself about the futility of telling any employee of the TSA how to do any job."
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:07 am
Suspended

"Well, I *am* paying your salary, so, YES."
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
When it comes to medication-related issues, just say "since you're not a doctor, I'm not really telling you what you're job is, am I?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.