Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA debuts new full-body scanner software

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:27 pm

If I leave a bit of fabric in my pants pocket (a hanky, for instance) will the scanners discern it from the pocket?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
I know this sounds crazy, but maybe....just maybe.....the TSA actually listened to the traveling public and decided to go to the outline form instead, based on passenger outrage.
I would hope you're right.

They need to listen to the same outrage over the standard rubdown and the reso rubdown. They don't need to touch sex organs of the disabled and elderly, or because their machines and swabbing procedures yields false positives.

Go see how everyone else in the world does this at their airports.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Go see how everyone else in the world does this at their airports.
Unfortunately, this argument isn't going to gain traction. To the best of my knowledge, no other country in the world has had terrorists convert commercial airliners into guided missiles, either.

And, no, I'm not waving the "9/11" flag. I am, however, pointing out that the US does have some unique problems that other countries don't have. I haven't heard al Queda declaring jihad against Luxembourg ... of course, I haven't checked tonight's news yet.

Believe me, there are plenty of better arguments to use against AIT --- its effectiveness in finding actual threats to commercial travel, privacy concerns, radiation concerns, and so on. Far better to focus on the arguments that can gain traction than to get into yet another spitting match about whether or not the US has unique problems.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
IMHO this is a feel good (no pun intended) news piece for TSA in advance of the budget hearings.

I expect that DHS and most agencies will follow the strategy that Gates used in the DoD hearings, make the cuts and showcase new efficiency programs prior to going to Committee. Create the impression that most of the work is done for them and they can go easy on your agency.

In a earlier post I suggested that an effective NoS roll out should have included local cartoon style displays even they if they were fake. This would have led to a (false) perception of privacy and avoided the ensuing controversy.

I suspect, like many here, that the software patch is still that same fake albeit belatedly delivered.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
I know this sounds crazy, but maybe....just maybe.....the TSA actually listened to the traveling public and decided to go to the outline form instead, based on passenger outrage.

TSA realized that either through public opinion, congress or the courts TSA stood a very good chance of having to shelve WBI completely.

Any claims by TSA spokesholes that only a small number of complaints were received is total BULL.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Fisher1949
In a earlier post I suggested that an effective NoS roll out should have included local cartoon style displays even they if they were fake. This would have led to a (false) perception of privacy and avoided the ensuing controversy.
Nope. If there's anything I've learned from being an observer of governments, it's that lying always gets you into worse trouble than whatever it was that you were lying about in the first place. (Richard Nixon. Bill Clinton. Kwame Kilpatrick. Heck, even Martha Stewart.)
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:13 pm

Hmmmmm. I wonder when this change became a top priority. Could it have been when they learned that one of their critics was now going to be chairman of a House committee that rules on their department budget? Funny how a little thing like that can bring action when a million citizen complaints cannot.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Any claims by TSA spokesholes that only a small number of complaints were received is total BULL.
This differs from any other "official statements" by the TSA... how?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:21 pm

Nothing about this new software solves the fourth amendment problem, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.