Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can One Opt/Consent to a Strip Search in Lieu of Pat Down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

I asked the TSA this, but they did not reply. I have a colostomy and am suffering from a psoriasis outbreak at the moment. I fail the body scanner because of the ostomy. In the past, I have been selected for a resolution pat down and had my ostomy excessively pressed down on, which is bad because the downward pressure can cause a failure of the ostomy device. I have also been allowed to show my ostomy when I requested it and have me hand swabbed after I was instructed to touch the device (this, for me, was a better procedure.

But now I have a psoriasis outbreak on my legs, arms, and back. The pat down would be uncomfortable and painful at the moment. I know I will fail the scanner, and understand that and am ok with it. But my question is can I consent to a strip search in lieu of a pat down due to my medical conditions?

I feel that we should be able to do this because it doesn't alter the TSA's effectiveness and since you're hauled off to the private room anyway other passengers will not be offended. At that point, it should be about how to let the tsos do their jobs while keeping patients as comfortable as possible.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:47 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure what their policy on strip searches is. I would imagine if you got a manager or supervisor over and explained the situation they would be able to find some way to work with you.

I'd like to think they're people too but, it's really hard to tell sometimes.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Comcerneddisabledflier
I asked the TSA this, but they did not reply. I have a colostomy and am suffering from a psoriasis outbreak at the moment. I fail the body scanner because of the ostomy. In the past, I have been selected for a resolution pat down and had my ostomy excessively pressed down on, which is bad because the downward pressure can cause a failure of the ostomy device. I have also been allowed to show my ostomy when I requested it and have me hand swabbed after I was instructed to touch the device (this, for me, was a better procedure.

But now I have a psoriasis outbreak on my legs, arms, and back. The pat down would be uncomfortable and painful at the moment. I know I will fail the scanner, and understand that and am ok with it. But my question is can I consent to a strip search in lieu of a pat down due to my medical conditions?

I feel that we should be able to do this because it doesn't alter the TSA's effectiveness and since you're hauled off to the private room anyway other passengers will not be offended. At that point, it should be about how to let the tsos do their jobs while keeping patients as comfortable as possible.
One would think that your request would be reasonable, but we are talking about an agency with some TSA Agents who's common sense has leaked right out of their heads.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I just would prefer a strip search to a pat down because the touch on the psorasis would hurt and the pressure of the pat down on the colostomy is really uncomfortable and humiliating for me. I lost modesty long ago after the 35th doctor's visit for crohn's, and am less bothered by the alternative.

Since the TSA won't answer my question, I guess I will have to ask next time I am selected for the resolution pat down.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Let us know.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:37 pm

My recommendation is to get in touch with the customer service liason for TSA at the airport in which you are flying out of. Another option would be to call the airport itself and ask to be transferred to TSA on site, and then ask to speak to an on duty security manager. I advise you to do this in advance of your flight so that the TSM can clear your request through appropriate channels.

TSOs are supposed to clear alarms without the passenger removing clothing. Passengers who ask if they should remove clothing are to be encouraged to leave it on.

However what you are requesting isn't specifically forbidden. If you asked me about this, I would make your case to the AFSD-S. But I would try to resolve this situation without you removing any clothing before I spoke to my boss about it.

castro
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by castrobenes
My recommendation is to get in touch with the customer service liason for TSA at the airport in which you are flying out of. Another option would be to call the airport itself and ask to be transferred to TSA on site, and then ask to speak to an on duty security manager....

TSOs are supposed to clear alarms without the passenger removing clothing. Passengers who ask if they should remove clothing are to be encouraged to leave it on.

However what you are requesting isn't specifically forbidden. If you asked me about this, I would make your case to the AFSD-S. But I would try to resolve this situation without you removing any clothing before I spoke to my boss about it.

castro
Thanks for the cogent and respectful reply. I will do as you suggest before my next trip (early April). Generally, tsos have been pretty good about not touching the ostomy area if I request to show it and touch it myself. The one time I didn't do that, it was excessively patted down and pressed down on. That could easily cause a failure of the device.

The psorasis is new, and from a dry and cold winter. A pat down on the legs and back would really hurt. I would assume that my request would require a manager if it is allowable, so I agree that it is best to plan ahead. Thanks again for your reply.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:50 pm

request to go through the AIT or MMW (depending the airport ur in) and then they will ETD ur device and hands... "should" be that simple
Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by kanyewesttx
request to go through the AIT or MMW (depending the airport ur in) and then they will ETD ur device and hands... "should" be that simple
except for the fact that my colostomy clip on the ait device cause me to (rightly) fail the screening, that would work. But failures in groin areas lead private pat downs, which I have experienced in the past.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
except for the fact that my colostomy clip on the ait device cause me to (rightly) fail the screening, that would work. But failures in groin areas lead private pat downs, which I have experienced in the past.
Dumb question, but have you contacted the manufacturer of your device, explained your experiences, and suggested a non-metallic clip be put on their list of possible future improvements?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Dumb question, but have you contacted the manufacturer of your device, explained your experiences, and suggested a non-metallic clip be put on their list of possible future improvements?
There is no way I would do that. The clip I use is very well designed, durable, and effective. You could wear Velcro bags, but they can fail under a lot of weight. The clip doesn't give. It is straight very hard plastic with that opens up and down.

They don't make a metal clip that I know of. If they did, I would buy it. It would be easier to clean and more sanitary.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
There is no way I would do that. The clip I use is very well designed, durable, and effective. You could wear Velcro bags, but they can fail under a lot of weight. The clip doesn't give. It is straight very hard plastic with that opens up and down.

They don't make a metal clip that I know of. If they did, I would buy it. It would be easier to clean and more sanitary.
Sorry, I was thinking of the WTMD, not NoS. You are correct, plastic or metal, I suppose it still looks odd on the NoS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.