Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Open Letter to the Department of Homeland Security.

Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One self proclaimed "War President" gave you your title based on false pretenses. Your mission is to emasculate every citizen of this Great Country. Your success is metered upon making cowards of us all.

I was in New York last week. Ground Zero is a stinking pit surrounded by fabric barricades keeping US citizens from the slightest glimpse of your decades long failure to recover from the actions of a mere 20 fanatics. Are you not ashamed?

Comrades of dead firefighters are reduced to selling T-Shirts to tourists seeking the non-existent 9/11 memorial.

If you want to visit the Stature of Liberty, you have to submit to the worst style of airport style screening. I refused to submit to the irony.

Department of Homeland Security, meet your brethren, the Ministry for State Security.

I am at a loss as to why we still submit to this idiocy.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by birdstrike
If you want to visit the Stature of Liberty, you have to submit to the worst style of airport style screening. I refused to submit to the irony.

Many schools in the NY/NJ area no longer take students on trips to the Statute of Liberty due to the screening everyone is forced to go through.

Very, very sad.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:01 am

Tourists are Avoiding The U.S. Due to DHS Excesses

Two years ago I was visiting the Thousand Islands, staying on the Canadian side. We decided to visit Boldt Castle, a tourist attraction on the American side.

Boldt Castle is a small island in the St. Laurence seaway. I arrived with my two kids and my parents by private boat. It was early September, the kind of perfect day that makes exploring such a place irresistible. We knew the CBP had been harassing visitors to the island, so we were carried our passports, but we were earnestly hoping to avoid them. They've always been a royal pain. They are particularly nasty to women traveling alone with children, because they tend to imagine the woman is kidnapping her own children. It can be an exhausting task to prove this is not the case. Since it was September, and my kids were home-schooled, I knew there might be extra drama.

When we docked we noticed signs directing anyone coming from the Canadian side to check in with the CBP. We decided to ignore those signs, and hoped to go unnoticed. We kept a low profile around the bored CBP employees wandering around, and everyone had a nice time exploring Boldt Castle.

While we were there two Canadian tour boats loaded down with international tourists circled the island. To my amazement, they did not disembark! I had visited the island every summer of my childhood, and every other year or two for the past 25 years. It was the first time the island wasn't covered with international tourists delivered by Canadian tour boats. This time the tour boats circled the island, describing it's features in Chinese, French and English. The tourists snapped multiple pictures. They waved to us in a friendly matter, chattering and pointing. Then the tour boat tooted it's horn in a merry fashion, and off the Canadians went.

Boldt Castle is an American tourist site, and it was clear that the CBP had made it too much of a nuisance to visit. I know I won't be back. I got my pictures, and I've got my childhood memories. I feel sorry for anyone depending on international tourism in the U.S. The worse our DHS gets, the worse their business is going to get. So far no one is reigning the DHS, TSA or CBP in. They're a bunch of creepy thugs, and nobody wants to deal with them.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElizabethConley
I feel sorry for anyone depending on international tourism in the U.S. The worse our DHS gets, the worse their business is going to get. So far no one is reigning the DHS, TSA or CBP in. They're a bunch of creepy thugs, and nobody wants to deal with them.
Yep.

The sheeple are trading their dignity and economic security for the illusion of safety provided by the blue-shirted clowns of Security Theatre.

Tourism is one of (if not the largest) remaining US export. And since so many are now deciding not to travel to the United States as a result of the TSAs overacting in their Security Theatre, we're all hosed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.