Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

House Dem Leader Calls For Special TSA Treatment for Congress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

House Dem Leader Calls For Special TSA Treatment for Congress

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Ellie M
There are plenty of things to be angry at the federal government for. This isn't it. This is just ill informed... ...The only power grab would be if the federal government decided to take over the prosecution of state crimes from Arizona. It would also be unconstitutional.

+1 on what GUWonder wrote.
I respectfully disagree.

It sounded like a good idea when it was made a federal crime to assault federal employees -

except that assaulting people is already illegal.

Now we have significant differences in how the defense of the rights of each is addressed.

Have you ever noticed that it can take quite a bit of time for a criminal to face trial for crimes in another state if he is charged with crimes in the state he happens to be detained in? Who gets first dibs on this criminal - the Feds or the State?

That's just one example.

There are 2nd, 3rd and further order effects to each new bit of legislation. Some of them have had the effect of making individual citizen's rights a distant second to the Federal Government's perceived self-interest. Examine a bit of legislation independently, and it looks fine. Put it into practice, and the problems become apparent.

You think the only solution is to make murder a Federal offense. I see lots of solutions. The Feds could agree to let the state prosecute first or the Federal Laws could be removed on various grounds. There are lots of solutions. In general, I prefer fewer laws and favor States' rights, so I'm bound to prefer those solutions. Others would no doubt pose solutions that would never occur to either of us.

I don't like to belabor points ad nauseum, so this is my last post on the matter. To me, enough is enough.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElizabethConley
What bugs me about the Tucson murders is that the perpetrator hasn't been charged for murdering the child or the two retirees yet, nor assaults against the 13 other people who were merely wounded. I read this in a blog, and thought that surely this was nonsense. Then I checked various news sites. I find no mention of murder charges or charges stemming from assault with a deadly weapon.

"Jared Loughner faces one count of attempted assassination of a member of Congress, two counts of killing an employee of the federal government and two counts of attempting to kill a federal employee."

Giffords still clings to life. The child, the judge and the retirees are dead. I'm finding the lack of charges against Loughner for the assaults and murders to be extremely creepy, if true.

From what I've read, Laughner was and is crazy. His obsession with Grammar coupled with his inability to compose a coherent sentence speak to his literally "disordered" mind. The poor lad was nuts. In spite of this, political ideologues of all stripes have tried to tar their opponents with responsibility for Laughner's acts. On top of that, a congressman wants to use this tragedy to leverage his own escape from TSA scope n' grope checkpoints?

I'm sorry, but Laughner's insanity doesn't have anything to do with politics, although the Federal response does illustrate how little the Federal Government cares about American Citizens.

It's ordinary American Citizens who suffered the brunt of Laughner's attack. It's ordinary American citizens who are the least defended and protected by Federal Law and Federal Agencies. It's ordinary American citizens who will suffer the consequences if Laughner's acts of insanity are used to justify further civil rights abuses. It's ordinary American citizens who will be left alone to endure the current DHS/TSA civil rights abuses if Federal employees manage to use Laughner's acts of insanity to exempt themselves from airport insecurity checkpoints. (Yes, I meant insecurity.)

Enough already. Laughner attacked, maimed and murdered ordinary American citizens, and the Federal Government couldn't care less.

The Federal Government seems to have forgotten its purpose, as well as the identity of their employer.
INAL but if they keep the charges and cases seperate and one case goes down the tubes they have the other cases to prosecute.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
“We’ve had some incidents where TSA authorities think that congresspeople should be treated like everybody else,” he said. “Well, the fact of the matter is, we are held to a higher standard in so many other areas, and I think we need to take a hard look at exactly how the TSA interact with members of Congress.”.
I'm quite sure the legislator doesn't like waiting in lines and being groped anymore than I do, but where does he get off thinking that the general public are more prone to doing bad things than he and his colleagues are? Perhaps if his ilk (all politicians, talking heads on tv, and hate radio hosts, that is) toned down their hateful rhetoric and stood up against bigotry, the general public, especially the ones kitted out like Yosemite Sam, might also calm down and not commit quite so many hate crimes in the name of politics.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:26 am

I respectfully disagree.

It sounded like a good idea when it was made a federal crime to assault federal employees -

except that assaulting people is already illegal.
So you're arguing now that the problem is that there is a federal statute criminalizing assaulting or murdering a federal employee? And that the feds decided to prosecute Loughner for it? That's not at all what you said in your prior posts.

Frankly, I'm having trouble understanding your arguments at all, other than you are angry at the federal government. For something. Or everything.

I don't like to belabor points ad nauseum, so this is my last post on the matter. To me, enough is enough.
To bring this back to the topic, I find it wrong to use this tragedy as a justification for unrelated issues. Both using it to complain about the federal government's overreach, which is a legitimate complaint (although not when using incorrect facts). And even more so by Clyborn using it to try and get out of the invasive screening that his constituents are subject to.

Last edited by Ellie M; Jan 10, 2011 at 9:41 am
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:47 am

No Comment

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ning-lawmakers
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
INAL but if they keep the charges and cases seperate and one case goes down the tubes they have the other cases to prosecute.
That's correct. In nearly every case where there's a multiple shooting, they'll charge for certain murders but not others -- a holdback, just in case they need it.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
That's correct. In nearly every case where there's a multiple shooting, they'll charge for certain murders but not others -- a holdback, just in case they need it.
So in this case we have a couple of divisions.

One, the murder of a MOC and a Federal Judge I would think would be charged in Federal Court. The other 4 murders including the young girl I believe will have charges brought forth in State court.

Who is sorry that Arizonia is a death penalty state?

I only ask that the prosecurtors don't foul up and invalidate the filings.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:08 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
A top House Democrat said the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) should change how members of Congress are screened at airports.
Sorry Mr. Clyburn but either everyone is screened or no one is screened. Period and end of story. You are not above the law simply because you are an elected official* as you can go postal or carry illegal drugs thru a check point just like anyone else so bend over and take it like the rest of us.

*and where do you draw the line, Mr. Clyburn? Only elected Federal officials? Only federally elected Democrats? How about Repulicans? Just Senators? Just Congressional Representatives? Or better yet, how about the dog catcher from east podunk as after all, he/she was elected as well. Sheesh, what putz .
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
...and where do you draw the line, Mr. Clyburn? Only elected Federal officials? Only federally elected Democrats? How about Repulicans? Just Senators? Just Congressional Representatives? Or better yet, how about the dog catcher from east podunk as after all, he/she was elected as well. Sheesh, what putz .
Threats and attacks are serious concerns, but are they serious enough to justify special treatment at already-well-secured airports because some lawmakers feel “ill-at-ease” around the general public?

According to data from the Bureau of Labor, those precautions are probably justifiable so long as social workers and primary school teachers get to skip TSA pat-downs, bus drivers and animal trainers are given security details and health-care professionals are allowed to work with patients from behind three inches of shatter-proof glass.

As for salesmen, retail workers and their managers, they should all be issued a concealed-carry permit.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/01/14/co...#ixzz1B16w9DUv
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Million Miler, American
Equality

Originally Posted by Wimpie
They should go through the NoS and get groped just like everybody else out of .....and abundance of caution.....

Sure makes me feel safer!^
The larger airports operate like police states. I am well over 50, well over a million miler and well over the mass molestation going on in the name of "Homeland Security". I say lets put body scanners in the halls of congress and let them pass through every day so they can be safe. Since that radiation doesn't matter, they shouldn't mind a regular dose.

And not to be indelicate, I find that removing all underwear before flying makes it easier for them to get a good look and a good feel. I hope they find it as gross as I find the so-called security. It saves the matron from making a deep dive into my drawers looking for dynamite. I'm flying through smaller airports every chance I get. Nashville has groped me every week now for four weeks running...guess it really is a "friendly music city"
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:57 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Fredd
Threats and attacks are serious concerns, but are they serious enough to justify special treatment at already-well-secured airports because some lawmakers feel “ill-at-ease” around the general public?

According to data from the Bureau of Labor, those precautions are probably justifiable so long as social workers and primary school teachers get to skip TSA pat-downs, bus drivers and animal trainers are given security details and health-care professionals are allowed to work with patients from behind three inches of shatter-proof glass.

As for salesmen, retail workers and their managers, they should all be issued a concealed-carry permit.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/01/14/co...#ixzz1B16w9DUv
Let's not forget the boss who recently fired an employee as by-god-in-the-name-of-nash'nul-sker'writy we want the boss to be protected in case the fired employee returns with a gun and goes postal
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Your point of view is different than mine, there are viable reasons for what TSA does, I have seen both sides of the story, seen the screening protocols that are in the SOP and are done here everyday, and there is no lying from my view. I disagree with things at work sometimes, have you ever had a job where you agreed with every single thing you had to do every single day? If you have, kudos and I hope it pays the bills for you and stay there as long as you can, because you are in a tiny minority.
"there is no lying from my view."

Actually this is almost universally true for all liars. (and we all lie sometime) When people lie, they almost always find a way to justify the lie. If they can't justify the line they'll insert an "escape clause" into the phrase. Example "I'm pretty sure that banning water improves our security by 300%" - Can you see the "escape clause" there that lets the liar off the hook?

"have you ever had a job where you agreed with every single thing you had to do every single day".

NOPE. But I only stay at jobs where I can point out that the task is wrong and either correct it myself, or after I point it out management corrects it. No way would I stay somewhere we we continuing do stupid things where management and employees are powerless to do the right thing. I have more respect for my brain than that.

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I
I am glad that you have changed employment over policies you didn't like, many folks just do not give up that easy,
Pardon me for saying so, but if you find the policies ineffective, and you have informed management of the ineffectiveness of said policies to no avail...and you still work there.

It sounds like your the one that has given up and resigned yourself to doing a meaningless job.

I'm sure you have your reasons. If it weren't for the fact that TSOs perform such reprehensible acts on innocent people, you would also have my sympathy.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.