Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Interesting speculation on the future of the TSA with the new Congress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/tsa-liv...borrowed-time/

I am not advocating any of the statements/positions related to the blogger.

It interesting to see how Representative John L. Mica (R-FL), the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Republican Leader, is trying to get airports to abandon the TSA as a provider of security screening.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:09 pm

As has been pointed out in other threads, the point of contention causing the most outrage is getting strip searched and sexually assaulted. Simply transferring this behavior to the private sector solves nothing. That abysmal abuse must simply be stopped, whoever is doing it. Getting rid of TSA entirely, of course, would be a bonus.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
As has been pointed out in other threads, the point of contention causing the most outrage is getting strip searched and sexually assaulted. Simply transferring this behavior to the private sector solves nothing. That abysmal abuse must simply be stopped, whoever is doing it. Getting rid of TSA entirely, of course, would be a bonus.
We save money by getting out from under the future debt of 70,000 government pensions and health care for life. That's good enough for starters. I don't care if Rep. Mica wants to be the champion for this. The REAL reform will be through Rep. Chaffetz's subcommittee combined with We, The People, being "mad as h**l and not taking it anymore!"
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
"mad as h**l and not taking it anymore!"
A little bit OT, but...

Peter Finch's greatest performance. I wish we had our own Howard Beale in this day and age. Can you imagine Anderson Cooper or Joe Scarborough standing up during their show and giving a speech like that regarding our current "keep me safe" mentality? I can't, and it's a shame.

I think Jon Stewart occasionally comes close to that level of brilliance with a combination of anger and sarcasm (see the 9/11 responders bill), but it would be nice to see one of the "serious" ones do the same.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CitizenTerrorist
A little bit OT, but...

Peter Finch's greatest performance. I wish we had our own Howard Beale in this day and age. Can you imagine Anderson Cooper or Joe Scarborough standing up during their show and giving a speech like that regarding our current "keep me safe" mentality? I can't, and it's a shame.

I think Jon Stewart occasionally comes close to that level of brilliance with a combination of anger and sarcasm (see the 9/11 responders bill), but it would be nice to see one of the "serious" ones do the same.
They need to do it before my bedtime!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:34 pm

We save money by getting out from under the future debt of 70,000 government pensions and health care for life. That's good enough for starters. I don't care if Rep. Mica wants to be the champion for this. The REAL reform will be through Rep. Chaffetz's subcommittee combined with We, The People, being "mad as h**l and not taking it anymore!"
I stand corrected. It would be a very BIG bonus....
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
It looks like DHS is bracing for budget cuts coming this year. Agencies seldom go away, Congress usually just cuts their budgets to shrink their impact.

http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/...-security-cuts
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Fisher1949
It looks like DHS is bracing for budget cuts coming this year. Agencies seldom go away, Congress usually just cuts their budgets to shrink their impact.

http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/...-security-cuts
If this keeps TSA staffing at the current level (or even limits refilling positions for those leaving employement), this will definitely curtail the use of AIT (which appears to be very "manpower intensive", and would require a perceived huge increase in staffing to make the true primary/only form of search). Yet that still doesn't deal with the strategic differences between the agency/pax, in regards to the limits of the administrative search. Yet still, some will view this as a positive.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:09 am

Mica's wife owns a huge junk of one of the private security companies.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by flpab
Mica's wife owns a huge junk of one of the private security companies.
That is very interesting ... do you have a source on this?

I do not want to contest your statement, only read more about it.

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: CO
Reintroducing American Traveler Dignity Act

Supposedly these guys aggregate constituent opinions regarding specific bills which the congress types can keep track of. I have no idea how useful it is, but I voiced my support for the reintroduction of the American Traveler Dignity Act.

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/111/hr6416
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Thanks for the link. I have voiced my support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.