Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Interesting speculation on the future of the TSA with the new Congress

Interesting speculation on the future of the TSA with the new Congress

Old Jan 7, 11, 2:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 3,687
Interesting speculation on the future of the TSA with the new Congress

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/tsa-liv...borrowed-time/

I am not advocating any of the statements/positions related to the blogger.

It interesting to see how Representative John L. Mica (R-FL), the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Republican Leader, is trying to get airports to abandon the TSA as a provider of security screening.
cheltzel is offline  
Old Jan 7, 11, 3:09 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,424
As has been pointed out in other threads, the point of contention causing the most outrage is getting strip searched and sexually assaulted. Simply transferring this behavior to the private sector solves nothing. That abysmal abuse must simply be stopped, whoever is doing it. Getting rid of TSA entirely, of course, would be a bonus.
nachtnebel is offline  
Old Jan 7, 11, 7:34 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: An NPR mind living in a Fox News world
Posts: 13,396
Originally Posted by nachtnebel View Post
As has been pointed out in other threads, the point of contention causing the most outrage is getting strip searched and sexually assaulted. Simply transferring this behavior to the private sector solves nothing. That abysmal abuse must simply be stopped, whoever is doing it. Getting rid of TSA entirely, of course, would be a bonus.
We save money by getting out from under the future debt of 70,000 government pensions and health care for life. That's good enough for starters. I don't care if Rep. Mica wants to be the champion for this. The REAL reform will be through Rep. Chaffetz's subcommittee combined with We, The People, being "mad as h**l and not taking it anymore!"
FliesWay2Much is offline  
Old Jan 7, 11, 7:56 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
"mad as h**l and not taking it anymore!"
A little bit OT, but...

Peter Finch's greatest performance. I wish we had our own Howard Beale in this day and age. Can you imagine Anderson Cooper or Joe Scarborough standing up during their show and giving a speech like that regarding our current "keep me safe" mentality? I can't, and it's a shame.

I think Jon Stewart occasionally comes close to that level of brilliance with a combination of anger and sarcasm (see the 9/11 responders bill), but it would be nice to see one of the "serious" ones do the same.
CitizenTerrorist is offline  
Old Jan 7, 11, 8:29 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: An NPR mind living in a Fox News world
Posts: 13,396
Originally Posted by CitizenTerrorist View Post
A little bit OT, but...

Peter Finch's greatest performance. I wish we had our own Howard Beale in this day and age. Can you imagine Anderson Cooper or Joe Scarborough standing up during their show and giving a speech like that regarding our current "keep me safe" mentality? I can't, and it's a shame.

I think Jon Stewart occasionally comes close to that level of brilliance with a combination of anger and sarcasm (see the 9/11 responders bill), but it would be nice to see one of the "serious" ones do the same.
They need to do it before my bedtime!
FliesWay2Much is offline  
Old Jan 7, 11, 8:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,424
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
We save money by getting out from under the future debt of 70,000 government pensions and health care for life. That's good enough for starters. I don't care if Rep. Mica wants to be the champion for this. The REAL reform will be through Rep. Chaffetz's subcommittee combined with We, The People, being "mad as h**l and not taking it anymore!"
I stand corrected. It would be a very BIG bonus....
nachtnebel is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 6:32 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Posts: 462
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
We save money by getting out from under the future debt of 70,000 government pensions and health care for life. That's good enough for starters. I don't care if Rep. Mica wants to be the champion for this. The REAL reform will be through Rep. Chaffetz's subcommittee combined with We, The People, being "mad as h**l and not taking it anymore!"
It looks like DHS is bracing for budget cuts coming this year. Agencies seldom go away, Congress usually just cuts their budgets to shrink their impact.

http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/...-security-cuts
Fisher1949 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 6:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DTW
Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Posts: 7,511
Originally Posted by Fisher1949 View Post
It looks like DHS is bracing for budget cuts coming this year. Agencies seldom go away, Congress usually just cuts their budgets to shrink their impact.

http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/...-security-cuts
If this keeps TSA staffing at the current level (or even limits refilling positions for those leaving employement), this will definitely curtail the use of AIT (which appears to be very "manpower intensive", and would require a perceived huge increase in staffing to make the true primary/only form of search). Yet that still doesn't deal with the strategic differences between the agency/pax, in regards to the limits of the administrative search. Yet still, some will view this as a positive.
sbagdon is offline  
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:09 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 310
Mica's wife owns a huge junk of one of the private security companies.
flpab is offline  
Old Jan 9, 11, 11:38 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 3,687
Originally Posted by flpab View Post
Mica's wife owns a huge junk of one of the private security companies.
That is very interesting ... do you have a source on this?

I do not want to contest your statement, only read more about it.

Thanks
cheltzel is offline  
Old Jan 9, 11, 1:15 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: EWR
Programs: CO
Posts: 102
Reintroducing American Traveler Dignity Act

Supposedly these guys aggregate constituent opinions regarding specific bills which the congress types can keep track of. I have no idea how useful it is, but I voiced my support for the reintroduction of the American Traveler Dignity Act.


https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/111/hr6416
lmirante is offline  
Old Jan 9, 11, 2:11 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 405
Thanks for the link. I have voiced my support.
gdeluca is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: