New Year's Resolution: Thank a TSA agent

Old Jan 7, 11, 10:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
New Year's Resolution: Thank a TSA agent

I have been thanking the TSA agents for dong their job despite their and our misgivings. They have been quite surprised and appreciative.

I would like to ask all of us to thank the next TSA agent you encounter
Old Jan 7, 11, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by meisterau View Post
I have been thanking the TSA agents for dong their job despite their and our misgivings. They have been quite surprised and appreciative.

You have got to be kidding.
Old Jan 7, 11, 11:37 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I'd rather shoot myself.

Bruce
Old Jan 7, 11, 11:42 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to the Travel Safety/Security forum. (Sorry I don't have any insulated clothing to offer .) Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 7, 11, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I actually did thank the TDC at CMH when I flew home after Christmas. After I showed her my boarding pass and driver's license, she instructed me to put my license back into my wallet and to keep my boarding pass in a safe place until I got to my gate to board, as I would not need either document for any more "security" purposes at the checkpoint.

She was very professional, if a little curt, but I appreciated it. ^

However, this experience was definitely not the norm for me (barking, being herded like livestock, lack of communication, gross differences in procedure, etc.).
Old Jan 7, 11, 11:58 am

Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent...
Old Jan 7, 11, 11:59 am
Suspended

I'll write "thank you" in magnetic ink on my ... so that they can see it when they strip search me.

Or not.

--Jon
Old Jan 7, 11, 12:05 pm

"Thank you TSA, for the sexual harassment. And for touching me in ways that I have told my 7 year old are inappropriate bad touches. "

Maybe not.
Old Jan 7, 11, 12:11 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by meisterau View Post

Thank them for what the sexual assaults
Old Jan 7, 11, 12:13 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I don't thank them the way some people thank returning vets or cops or firefighters who put their lives on the line for others on a regular basis, but I say a casual "Thank you" during the course of normal interaction.

When I get in the line and hand my boarding pass and ID to the TSO, I smile and say "Good morning" or "Hello" in a casual but friendly tone.

When they hand me my boarding pass and ID back, I say, "Thank you."

When a TSO directs me to this line or that line to begin my debasement, I say, "Thank you."

When the TSO at BWI yelled at me for not having my feet EXACTLY on the footprints in the nakedoscope, I did not much feel like saying, "Thank you" after I exited the debasement chamber.

If I were selected for a random pat-down (which I would refuse) after being cleared by the WMDT and NoS, I would certainly NOT thank any of the TSOs involved.
Old Jan 7, 11, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To quote a famous individual: "You cannot be serious!"

Depends - if they show extreme professionalism, maybe - if they curb any colleague goose stepping then definitely, otherwise I'd rather drown in Action Park [Vernon, NJ]'s wave pool... if the place still existed that is.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Yeah, I'll thank them for wasting my tax dollars, and molesting my family. Get real
Old Jan 7, 11, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
If I were selected for a random pat-down (which I would refuse) after being cleared by the WMDT and NoS, I would certainly NOT thank any of the TSOs involved.
As I understand it, you can't refuse any security procedure, if you want to enter the sterile area.
Old Jan 7, 11, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I nearly always say thank you to the TSO's I encounter, but its a Pavlovian response that marks the conclusion of an otherwise uneventful and somewhat professional encounter. I hate myself for doing this, but I even thank police officers after they have given me a ticket!

Now, what I find idiotic is when people go out of their way to thank someone they know nothing about for their service , break out into applause or drool all over them like they are some kind of super hero like deity protecting them from the bad people, just because that person is wearing a uniform (TSA or otherwise).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: