Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Year's Resolution: Thank a TSA agent

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by StanSimmons
No, I wouldn't immediately get a LEO involved.

I would get involved in the defense of my loved one personally, and LEO's and ambulances would be called by someone else. The ambulance would be needed for the person assaulting my loved one.

Fortunately, I'm big enough to be able to defend myself and my loved ones from unarmed attackers. I'm assuming that LeeAnne is not, since she has repeatedly stated that she was stopped by a big TSO male.
The screener committing the assault and the LEO who would respond to you are day-to-day colleagues at work. And that LEO is a witness, every day, to countless examples of the sort of abuse that LeeAnn's mother experienced. Have we heard a single report of a LEO stepping in to stop a screener?

I, for one, do not entertain the notion that the LEO at the checkpoint is there to protect anyone other than the TSA employees. He/she is not an advocate for the passengers, and I, personally, would not involve them.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
The ignore option is our friend.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
The screener committing the assault and the LEO who would respond to you are day-to-day colleagues at work. And that LEO is a witness, every day, to countless examples of the sort of abuse that LeeAnn's mother experienced. Have we heard a single report of a LEO stepping in to stop a screener?

I, for one, do not entertain the notion that the LEO at the checkpoint is there to protect anyone other than the TSA employees. He/she is not an advocate for the passengers, and I, personally, would not involve them.
My point exactly. Airport police are there for the benefit of the airport.

If I was forced to beat down a TSO in defense of a loved one, I would expect to be arrested by the local LEO... and be exonerated at trial for self defense.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by meisterau
^

So Bocast

It appears we have another expert. Please draw up a list of people whom the TSA should assume is not a terrorist. I am sure they will use it. Oh, make sure that all-american looking guys like Loughner who shot the John Roll and Gabby Giffords are not on it. Nor good ole boys like McVeigh.

Looking forward to seeing it
The assumption SHOULD be that almost nobody is a terrorist. That everyone that goes security is NOT the enemy, that each search is regretfully executed, that each search is done respectfully. That the searches which ARE done are effective. That this is not theatre. That the tiny nail clippers is not a deadly weapon.

Why? Because the notion that almost none of us are the enemy is factually correct. We are not the f***ing enemy.

Drop the likelyhood of risk from terrorism BELOW that which we assume every time we drive on the highway and you will have done your job.

Fact. We cannot reduce the risk of terrorism to zero. Any reasonably intelligent person, with even limited funds can execute an act of terror. Just phoning in bomb threat after bomb threat would paralyze air travel. Not to mention ten thousand other soft targets.

To live in a free society demands that we be willing to live with risk. To seek a risk free society requires a police state and then? You will have created the future you fear exists today... Where everyone does become an enemy of the oppressive state. We're not there yet, but some people seem bound and determined to take us in that direction.

Last edited by Darkumbra; Jan 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:44 pm

Taking on anyone physically is not even a consideration for me. I am very small and, more importantly, I do not condone violence. So it's not an option to respond to an assault on a loved one that way (unless I somehow discover a full-size can of Homemade Whoopaxx made it into my carryon and I'm forced to unload at the checkpoint?)

Unfortunately, my only option appears to be writing a letter to the TSA asking what help is available to me the next time I am assaulted by them.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
I'll differ on this as where I get a secondary screening each and every time due my orthopedic shoes, if the TSO who gets me, "does it right", I will say thank you and if time permits (and I can find one within eyesight), I will tell the supe the same thing. As we all know, there are both good and bad employees in each and every organization and we also all know that it only takes one story to ruin your day but you never know how many good stories there are as folks don't take the time to say it so like I said, if a TSO "does it right", I will say thank you.
I dont think the OP is referring to just saying "thank you". The OP wants us to thank the TSO person for their "service"
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to close the thread.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I'd like to apologize for my lack of attention to this discussion over the last day+ or so, especially before the personalizing of the discussion took root.

That said, upon further review of the discussion I fail to see how reopening the topic will enlighten anyone so we'll leave it closed until a compelling reason calls for re-review.

--------
essxjay
TS/S moderator

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 11, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.