Wiki Posts
Search

Golf clubs always get TSA love note @ SEA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Golf clubs always get TSA love note @ SEA

Just curious, but does anyone else consistently get the TSA inspection notice when they check their golf clubs?

Out of SEA, I'm at 100%, IAH is about 50%, and other airports I don't fly out of often enough to have a good sample.

Are the TSA *that* curious about my clubs here in SEA? A friend claimed it was likely the fertilizer residue, but I'm skeptical.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:46 pm

Blegh.

Last edited by HSVTSO Dean; Jan 3, 2011 at 5:48 pm Reason: Nope. Nevermind. You didn't see me.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:16 pm

One of my friends lost most of his balls on one trip. No love note....
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UALfromMSN
Just curious, but does anyone else consistently get the TSA inspection notice when they check their golf clubs?

Out of SEA, I'm at 100%, IAH is about 50%, and other airports I don't fly out of often enough to have a good sample.

Are the TSA *that* curious about my clubs here in SEA? A friend claimed it was likely the fertilizer residue, but I'm skeptical.
Golf club bags do not fit into the CTX (checked baggage scanning) machine properly (think conveyor belt). They are always manually inspected.

Your Houston percentage is likely just a reflection of how often they do note leave a note.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
BOS always get a note. I did have a problem for a while with them re-packing (or lack thereof) my clubs after inspection. My travel bag is not all that elaborate, but there is a padded hood that goes around the club heads (I also snap on the cover that came with the golf bag) and I wrap said hood around the club heads. For several trips out of BOS I would open the travel bag and my golf clubs were every which way and completely exposed. I can sort of understand if the clubs dont go back the way I had them (I have a 14 hold divider bag), but I expect them to be repacked the way I had them. Finally wrote to TSA and to their credit they did respond that the issue would be raised with BOS and coincidentally or not, I have not had a problem since.

Other airports:

OMA and MCO - looks like they never open them
LAS - love note, re-packed respectfully
FLL - why did I even bother packing them? worse than BOS at its worst.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Flying with a bike also interesting. Can't truly compare it to the clubs, and both can be quite expensive....but I hate knowing that if they open the bike case, everything carefully packed and padded might be all askew after they've done their job.
Some airports have to manually inspect due to available equipment. Some can xray/scan the whole case.
So far... (well...just knock on wood).
(not to mention the insane bike fees on some airlines that golfers don't get to enjoy)
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by AUS2008
Flying with a bike also interesting. Can't truly compare it to the clubs, and both can be quite expensive....but I hate knowing that if they open the bike case, everything carefully packed and padded might be all askew after they've done their job.
Some airports have to manually inspect due to available equipment. Some can xray/scan the whole case.
So far... (well...just knock on wood).
(not to mention the insane bike fees on some airlines that golfers don't get to enjoy)
Pack a flare-gun with the cycle. Takes more time pre-boarding with all of the paperwork, yet noone opens the case except you.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Pack a flare-gun with the cycle. Takes more time pre-boarding with all of the paperwork, yet noone opens the case except you.
Not true of most airports.

Flying with a shotgun in a locked case OFTEN results in the case being accepted by the airline, and then later the TSA coming to get the key and inspecting the case without my presence, and then some small useful item not making it to my final destination.

Offending airports:

AUS
IND
SAT
PHX
SLC
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Not true of most airports.

Flying with a shotgun in a locked case OFTEN results in the case being accepted by the airline, and then later the TSA coming to get the key and inspecting the case without my presence, and then some small useful item not making it to my final destination.

Offending airports:

AUS
IND
SAT
PHX
SLC
Isn't that against FAA regs, and federal law, for them to open your case outside of your presence?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:19 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Isn't that against FAA regs, and federal law, for them to open your case outside of your presence?
This. IIRC, the law in question (IANAL) clearly makes it illegal for the owner to allow someone else to have possession of the key.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
Blegh.
Hey Dean, how are you doing? Long time since I last saw you around here!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by IslandBased
One of my friends lost most of his balls on one trip.
I'd heard the gropes were invasive, but...damn.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by IslandBased
One of my friends lost most of his balls on one trip. No love note....
And that was just from the invasive pat-down
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
See, now I have to hate you, because I was trying to come up with a witty rejoinder, and you came up with something far better than I ever could ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.