Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Elderly passenger triggers security alert at D/FW Airport

Elderly passenger triggers security alert at D/FW Airport

Old Dec 27, 10, 12:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 453
Elderly passenger triggers security alert at D/FW Airport

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Elder...112460299.html

Elderly passenger triggers security alert at D/FW Airport


Christmas Day brought delays for travelers at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport after a security breach at a checkpoint.
The airport mobilized its command post while officers searched the terminals for a passenger described as an elderly woman.
Lara21 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 4:55 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DTW
Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Posts: 7,511
The Transportation Security Administration said agents spotted something suspicious when she went through a body scanner. But by the time they attempted to pull her aside for additional screening, the woman had already moved on into the terminal.

How I'm reading this is the women was inside AIT, they observed something that needed resolution, yet she was able to exit the scanner, and the CP, without being stopped by the TSO blocking her exit from the AIT.

Either that woman is Flash-fast, or there's a TSO (or two) who needs a little re-training.

Last edited by sbagdon; Dec 27, 10 at 7:03 am
sbagdon is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 6:14 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,728
Originally Posted by Lara21 View Post
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Elder...112460299.html

Elderly passenger triggers security alert at D/FW Airport
Click this link for the appropriate theme music for the article (and for the TSA in general):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ
Caradoc is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 6:20 am
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,952
Yet after hours of searching, agents still weren't able to find the mystery woman.
Good for grannie!
doober is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 7:12 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Posts: 437
"Photos of the elusive woman were distributed to gate agents while officers held dozens of flights to search aircraft."

So where did they get her picture? Inquiring minds want to know.
WindOfFreedom is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 7:22 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,657
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom View Post
"Photos of the elusive woman were distributed to gate agents while officers held dozens of flights to search aircraft."

So where did they get her picture? Inquiring minds want to know.
I'm completely speculating, of course ... but I suspect they got the picture from their checkpoint cameras. (Amazing that the checkpoint cameras always seem to work whenever TSA needs them.)

For me, the bigger question is this. Why didn't they dump the whole terminal like they did in Newark when Wrong Way Corrigan got past the exit?
jkhuggins is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 7:39 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,972
Originally Posted by jkhuggins View Post
For me, the bigger question is this. Why didn't they dump the whole terminal like they did in Newark when Wrong Way Corrigan got past the exit?
Because in DFW, there are connections between all the terminals airside, so they'd have to dump the entire airport and this clearly didn't rise to the level of needing to do that.

By the way, this does show the point that the TSA can't detain anybody.
RichardKenner is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 7:50 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OOL/DOH
Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Posts: 3,192
Originally Posted by RichardKenner View Post
Because in DFW, there are connections between all the terminals airside, so they'd have to dump the entire airport and this clearly didn't rise to the level of needing to do that.

By the way, this does show the point that the TSA can't detain anybody.
it shows that the TSA could not organise a horizontal folk dance in a brothel.....
VH-RMD is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 8:36 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 405
Originally Posted by VH-RMD View Post
it shows that the TSA could not organise a horizontal folk dance in a brothel.....
ROFL ^
gdeluca is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 8:56 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SEA/YVR/BLI
Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 9,268
Originally Posted by RichardKenner View Post
Because in DFW, there are connections between all the terminals airside, so they'd have to dump the entire airport and this clearly didn't rise to the level of needing to do that.
Yet after hours of searching, agents still weren't able to find the mystery woman.

Maybe they should have "out of an abundance of caution," and to teach all the other elderly pax a lesson.
Fredd is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 9:00 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 364
And the rest of the story..........

No airplanes fell from the sky on Christmas day.
Pluma is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 9:41 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,657
Originally Posted by RichardKenner View Post
Because in DFW, there are connections between all the terminals airside, so they'd have to dump the entire airport and this clearly didn't rise to the level of needing to do that.
Why not? A passenger managed to enter the sterile area of the airport without having completed screening. Furthermore, the passenger in question had an unidentified item on her person which TSA was concerned enough about to want to search her further. Using TSA logic ... why shouldn't this cause an immediate shutdown of the terminal?
jkhuggins is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 10:28 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 17,456
Originally Posted by jkhuggins View Post
Why not? A passenger managed to enter the sterile area of the airport without having completed screening. Furthermore, the passenger in question had an unidentified item on her person which TSA was concerned enough about to want to search her further. Using TSA logic ... why shouldn't this cause an immediate shutdown of the terminal?
If they were going to shut down a terminal at DFW they would have to shut down all terminals.

DFW terminals are connected by tram and the entrance is on the secure side of the terminal.

Once in any terminal a person can quickly move to any other terminal.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Dec 27, 10, 10:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SEA/YVR/BLI
Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 9,268
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
If they were going to shut down a terminal at DFW they would have to shut down all terminals.

DFW terminals are connected by tram and the entrance is on the secure side of the terminal.

Once in any terminal a person can quickly move to any other terminal.
That would really highlight the question of how the TSA managed to let an elderly pax "escape," wouldn't it?
Fredd is offline  
Old Dec 27, 10, 10:55 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 17,456
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
That would really highlight the question of how the TSA managed to let an elderly pax "escape," wouldn't it?

The root cause of the problem lies squarely on the shoulders of TSA not controlling the Screening Process.

Sounds like the pax thought they had completed screening and moved off to clear the checkpoint.
Boggie Dog is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: