Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Elderly passenger triggers security alert at D/FW Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elderly passenger triggers security alert at D/FW Airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:09 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
"Photos of the elusive woman were distributed to gate agents while officers held dozens of flights to search aircraft."

So where did they get her picture? Inquiring minds want to know.
OMG-the surveillance tape was not only found but it actually was "not damaged" and viewable

TSA described it as a minor incident, but it nevertheless sparked a grandma manhunt throughout the entire airport.
And the Secret Service wrestled grandma to the ground.....

Out of an Abundance of Caution®, The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued the following security directive. Effective immediately, all grandparents must be placed inside a 1 quart see thru zip-lock plastic bag prior to entrance to the secure area. If a grandparent cannot fit inside the zip-lock baggie, Transportation Security Officers (TSO's) will instruct passengers to place their grandparents inside their checked luggage.

The TSA: Keeping you safe in the war on terror, one penis, two breasts and one grandma at a time
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The root cause of the problem lies squarely on the shoulders of TSA not controlling the Screening Process.

Sounds like the pax thought they had completed screening and moved off to clear the checkpoint.
Or the passenger pretended to believe she completed screening. Handed off explosives to a second passenger. Then she left the terminal, so that she wouldn't be found in a sweep.

Even the TSA doesn't believe the passenger was really a threat, no matter that she set off some alarm. If they believed she was a threat they would have had dumped the airport. Instead, they're more worried about the negative publicity from a terminal dump while searching for grandma. All this episode demonstrates is that even the TSA believes that invasive searches of everyone are theater and are not necessary for security, and that they're more concerned with their pr than actual security.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Talking

I think it was just a malfunctioning X-Ray scanner, the elderly are not held together as well as the younger folk and when it zapped her, she was disintegrated.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:15 pm
Suspended

As it turns out, the TSA actually did find the woman and apparently decided to do the follow-up scan at her destination.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of making everyone safer by scanning her four hours later, when she got off the plane.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Caradoc
As it turns out, the TSA actually did find the woman and apparently decided to do the follow-up scan at her destination.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of making everyone safer by scanning her four hours later, when she got off the plane.
Why? Because they can.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Why not? A passenger managed to enter the sterile area of the airport without having completed screening. Furthermore, the passenger in question had an unidentified item on her person which TSA was concerned enough about to want to search her further. Using TSA logic ... why shouldn't this cause an immediate shutdown of the terminal?
But with NoS, ANYTHING is an unidentified item, not a prohibited item. In the "old days" when a WTMD alerted to something, there was a lot better chance it was a prohibited item then when the NoS alerts. TSA *always* wants to search us further, they just haven't found a way around the law to pat down down everything and make us bend over

Oh, and I'm LOL'ing how the TSA made her go through security once she was doine flying. ....
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:35 pm

would have liked to see what they would have done had she refused screening at the destination...once on the ground AT the destination, the whole DY...T loses its significance as a threat. And I would have LOVED to see the debate about jurisdiction if the TSA insisted on trying to press charges, not to mention that I do not see a judge in EITHER Cali OR Texas finding that the post-flight search was 'reasonable' in light of the alleged mission of TSA (that whole BS about making flying safer).
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by michelle227
would have liked to see what they would have done had she refused screening at the destination...once on the ground AT the destination, the whole DY...T loses its significance as a threat. And I would have LOVED to see the debate about jurisdiction if the TSA insisted on trying to press charges, not to mention that I do not see a judge in EITHER Cali OR Texas finding that the post-flight search was 'reasonable' in light of the alleged mission of TSA (that whole BS about making flying safer).
If she refused, they'd probably fine her $11,000

~~ Irish
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Intersting snippet

On Christmas Day at D/FW, a woman described as very elderly showed up with an anomaly on her scan. She was waved on to secondary check, but instead went to her gate and boarded her flight.
When I am sent for my secondary for my orthopedic shoes, I am never "waved" to go into the little plexiglass booth. The WTMD gatekeeper watches me enter and stands sideways to watch both me and the pax coming thru the WTMD so imho, if "grandma" was waved on to a secondary, somebody dropped the ball
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:51 pm

You don't want her driving home from the airport with something in her pocket, do you???
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goalie
somebody dropped the ball
I think that's pretty much a given these days. Saying the TSA dropped the ball is kind of like saying the '76 Buccaneers had some issues with defense.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:08 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The root cause of the problem lies squarely on the shoulders of TSA not controlling the Screening Process.

Sounds like the pax thought they had completed screening and moved off to clear the checkpoint.
Hey, that would have been my conclusion. "OK, you boys are through playing your little games, I can go now, toodle-oo!"
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

I am on the floor dying of laughter because that is just totally ridiculous and most definately stupid

Hey TSA/DHS the screening is suppose to be done before one gets on the plane so says the rules implimented by you or did that just slip your minds that day.

Oh I know what happened... The TSA Agent who was suppose to prevent the elderly lady from leaving the area got distracted by some hot passenger getting the all over feel up in the next lane over.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:28 am

head spinning...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:59 am
Suspended

My new theory - the TSA needed to compare the saved scanner image with what they really found on the woman so as to have something to train people with.

(Yes, I'm aware that the TSA has claimed they don't store the images. I'm also aware that their "training" is laughable. This post is closed-captioned for the sarcasm-impaired.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.