Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I'd love to see this as well! Any chance of a live feed on uStream?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
http://epic.org/events/tsa/

Would I love to see this. Not sure I can swing the time I'd need to drive up and back from BNA, though. Would be interested in reports from those attending.
Ordinarily, I would be interested, but if Ralph Nader is there, I am not.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Yes -- You could ride the Metro right from the airport and save the cost of a taxi or rental car. The location is about 3 blocks east of DuPont Circle (red Line) on P Street.

I wouldn't be surprised for one nanosecond that DHS or TSA "counterintelligence" people will infiltrate the meeting. The most likely source of TSA infiltrators would be SPOTNiks or FAMs. Nappy could also decide to send in a few plain-clothes Secret Service people. Presence of FBI counterintelligence ops people would require DHS to request support from DOJ. I wouldn't expect the request to be made, mostly out of pride and because Nappy couldn't possibly convince Holder that subversive activities would be taking place.

If you go, be very careful about exchanging business cards with anyone who purports to work for a company you've never heard of or anyone who asks a lot of strange questions. If you see someone picking up several copies of an attendee list or people who generally don't fit, try to snap a discrete picture. Conversely, if there are people going out of their way to avoid being in any sort of picture or video of the conference, this should send up flags.

This isn't tinfoil hat stuff in the least. I've seen it happen in other contexts over the years.
FW2M is correct. DHS operatives will most likely be present, especially given their past practices.

I have a clear calendar on the 6th. I just may be able to drop by and catch the fun.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
FW2M is correct. DHS operatives will most likely be present, especially given their past practices.

I have a clear calendar on the 6th. I just may be able to drop by and catch the fun.
You taking a page from DHS's Playbook®?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Superguy
You taking a page from DHS's Playbook®?
well, I do have a camera phone.....
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I'm actually really considering driving up for this. I'd just hate to get stuck in another snowstorm...anyone seen a forecast?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:29 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Tickets to the event? Or airline tickets were $650??

Hopefully if it's the former, EPIC will be throwing registration fees into the kitty to put toward further legal actions against TSA.
10 day forecast for Nashville and point towards DC is 40's with maybe some chance of snow in the hills of Virginia and the Cumberland Plateau on Thursday before the event. That said, 10-day forecasts are generally pretty useless except in San Diego and Hawaii.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: US Gold
It would hardly be surprising if some of the privacy folks who are likely to attend wouldn't want their pics snapped either. Can't read much into that.

wg
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm actually really considering driving up for this. I'd just hate to get stuck in another snowstorm...anyone seen a forecast?
It's too early to tell anything definite. Any forecast beyond ~4 days is highly speculative. Things don't really firm up until about 48-72 hours out. Having said that, we are going to be up in the 50s over the New Years weekend.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:24 am

help

I need a little clarity here: Are tickets required for the event and how much are they?

How close is this place to Amtrak's Union Station? I'm 100% unfamiliar with Washington's mass transit system. I can take a train from Newport News to DC, but once I'm there - where do I go?

Rose
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by motorguy
Ordinarily, I would be interested, but if Ralph Nader is there, I am not.
Meh, coalitions by definition are a big tent and will always include people you don't like. I, personally, am slightly horrified that I agree with Ron Paul on anything, but here we are. Don't let it rub you the wrong way.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RosemaryT
I need a little clarity here: Are tickets required for the event and how much are they?

How close is this place to Amtrak's Union Station? I'm 100% unfamiliar with Washington's mass transit system. I can take a train from Newport News to DC, but once I'm there - where do I go?

Rose
Rose, it's easy once you get to Union Station. Take the Metro Red Line (only line at Union Station) in the direction of Shady Grove. Get off at the DuPont Circle Station. It's about a 10-minute trip. Once you come up topside, walk about three blocks east on P Street. You'll see 1530 P Street and the Institute in a couple of minutes. I've never been inside the building, but I'm sure the conference will be clearly marked.

The Metro Web Site is: Metro. I would do a Google map or something of the DuPont Circle area to make sure you get your bearings once you surface from the Metro.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: US Gold
Anyone who's going needs to register at the link posted at the beginning of the thread. I already have.

wg
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is possible that it will be webcast. Carnegie has the capability. Unfortunately, their website just says check here 5 minutes before the lecture.

http://carnegiescience.edu/events/other
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Marc Rotemberg of EPIC looking for help.

Please help out Marc in his fund raising for epic.org.
His organization is the most organized in bringing down the NoS's.
Check out his lawsuit at www.epic.org
Please contribute here:
http://wishes.causes.com/wishes/1521...=friend_banner

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.