TSA and no government photo ID

Old Dec 26, 10, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
TSA and no government photo ID

Had an accident this morning hitting black ice on the way to DTW to catch a flight. Needless to say I missed the flight so I will be stuck at FO this year. Since I have an Ohio license the officer kept the license and said I would get it back after I paid the fine and ahve to contact the court and said a copy of the complaint was enough to drive on if I got pulled over in the next 20 days for anything.

So stuck with no photo license. And as my luck would have it I mailed in my passport a couple weeks ago to be renewed and didn't request expadited service since I won't need it until at least march.

I am hoping it will be a simple matter of just going to the court house in michigan and paying the fine on tuesday and getting it back. If I can't get it returned on the spot I am going to be stuck with no photo ID and have a flight out of DTW on Thursday returning from LGA 1/3. I was in TOL to pick up a rental car since my was undriveable (Enterprise in TOL was the only one willing to accept the police citation with the info in lieu of a photo drivers license) and should have just asked TSA there but it didn't occur to me until I got home.

Will TSA accept a costco am ex which has my photo imprinted in it along with a copy of the complaint showing I lost my license and a printout of my passport status as proof that it is me and that I have both those documents but don't have them in my possession right now? I hate to not be able to fly out on Thursday and worse I don't want DTW to clear me and have LGA give me a hassle. TSA's site says"

Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.

Not sure if the info I have will be acceptable or not. I have NO PROBLEM at all going through additional screening.
Old Dec 26, 10, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
You won't have any problem. Just allow an extra half-hour.
Old Dec 26, 10, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I've traveled with someone who had no ID and it is allowed, but expect time to be eaten up while they go through their ID verification procedures. I'd suggest more than 30 minutes just to be safe.
Old Dec 26, 10, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armattheus View Post
I've traveled with someone who had no ID and it is allowed, but expect time to be eaten up while they go through their ID verification procedures. I'd suggest more than 30 minutes just to be safe.
Thanks! I'm feeling a lot better now. Won't be a problem for me to get to the airport earlier and I have no problem going through additional screening.
Old Dec 26, 10, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Thanks! I'm feeling a lot better now. Won't be a problem for me to get to the airport earlier and I have no problem going through additional screening.
I just had my daughter do this. No problem at all just be prepared for extra screening.
Old Dec 26, 10, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Just go in open minding and let them ask what they need, they will do a more thorough search of your bags as it is a "flag" but just be calm and polite as always. If you see a TSA officer observing the line walk up to them and inform them you will be traveling without ID as they make just take you aside them instead of waiting in the line, if there is one, and start the process then.
Old Dec 26, 10, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Dec 26, 10, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta, United
If traveling with someone else. I would suggest having them take your stuff (especially electronics) through security leaving you with a minimal amount of stuff for the TSA to paw through.
Old Dec 26, 10, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
If traveling with someone else. I would suggest having them take your stuff (especially electronics) through security leaving you with a minimal amount of stuff for the TSA to paw through.
I was actually thinking of checking a bag on this trip anyway which brings up another question, will I have issues at the delta ticket counter getting them to accept a checked bag (I am silver so can use the priority luggage checkin line) with no photo ID? That will be a lot less for TSA to go through that way.
Old Dec 26, 10, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I was actually thinking of checking a bag on this trip anyway which brings up another question, will I have issues at the delta ticket counter getting them to accept a checked bag (I am silver so can use the priority luggage checkin line) with no photo ID? That will be a lot less for TSA to go through that way.
I don't know about DL, but UA always asks for my ID when I want to check a bag...

As far as TSA, the clerks will call a super secret number to verify that you are who you say you are.. Do keep an eye on your belongings, as TSA clerks are known to have sticky fingers..
Old Dec 26, 10, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I'm guessing that the issued photo-id, even if not from a government, will assist with the process. Seem to remember that you'll have to give up some form of SPII data (say, your SSN), then be able to answer any questions related to info about that piece of SPII data (same as validating against a credit report), such as current/previous address, place of employment, current debt/income, etc.

Or did TSA stop that? Do they just write everything down you tell them, then make a judgment based on their observations of your behavior?
Old Dec 26, 10, 4:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't aware that it was permissible for an out-of-state LEO to confiscate a DL from another state for bond purposes. Michigan is a non-NRVC state, so it may be a little different, but I'm having issues wrapping my head around this one. Unlike within a state (if I get stopped in Illinois and they want to take my Illinois license, that is acceptable becasuse it is done based on Illinois law), but if I am driving in Wisconsin and they want to confiscate my Illinois DL, I think that is quite different. I just checked and Michigan does have such a policy-- I wonder if it has ever been challenged in court, though.

Any LEOs care to comment?
Old Dec 26, 10, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I wasn't aware that it was permissible for an out-of-state LEO to confiscate a DL from another state for bond purposes. Michigan is a non-NRVC state, so it may be a little different, but I'm having issues wrapping my head around this one. Unlike within a state (if I get stopped in Illinois and they want to take my Illinois license, that is acceptable becasuse it is done based on Illinois law), but if I am driving in Wisconsin and they want to confiscate my Illinois DL, I think that is quite different. I just checked and Michigan does have such a policy-- I wonder if it has ever been challenged in court, though.

Any LEOs care to comment?
It really surprised me they did that. I live only a few miles from the Michigan border and the incident happened just 15 miles north of the border, about 25 minutes from where I live. I got a speeding ticket a lot further north in michigan about ten years ago and they didn't keep my license and I know 2 people that got speeding tickets in the past few years in ann arbor that live here and also said their licenses weren't taken. I could have understood if it was a serious injury accident with property damage but I was the only one involved and it was only my car that was damaged and I had proof of insurance with me. I have no outstanding warrants or fines, etc in michigan and no alcohol or drugs were involved. I didn't even know they could do it until he returned with the citation and told me he was keeping the license.

The biggest PITA over this was renting a car. I couldn't find anyone in Michigan nearby willing to rent to me without the physical license and finally got enterprise at TOL to agree to rent to me with the citation and a copy of my costco am ex that had my license on it. It's absurd to take someones license who is driving alone out of state whose car is undriveable. How do they expect people to manage to get home?

This ended up being the most expensive mileage run ever for me By the time all the expenses are paid I could have probably taken a MR to europe and stayed a few days for less
Old Dec 26, 10, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
You won't have any problem. Just allow an extra half-hour.
This happened with a friend of mine who flew roundtrip back in November. The "extra time" was perhaps 10 seconds at TDC. The impression she got from TDC was that her birth certificate was the most important document. She was not marked as a selectee in either direction.

The checked bag is another issue because it means you might have to deal with two people. I'd suggest sending that one FedEx (you can't use UPS anymore without ID unless you have an account with them).
Old Dec 26, 10, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardKenner View Post
This happened with a friend of mine who flew roundtrip back in November. The "extra time" was perhaps 10 seconds at TDC. The impression she got from TDC was that her birth certificate was the most important document. She was not marked as a selectee in either direction.

The checked bag is another issue because it means you might have to deal with two people. I'd suggest sending that one FedEx (you can't use UPS anymore without ID unless you have an account with them).
Yeah I didn't think about my birth certificate to bring as well. Figures this happens three weeks after sending my passport in when I had it for almost a decade LOL.

If I don't have my license back something I am considering doing is just packing my rollar bag and expanding it. I think I can all my stuff for this trip in it that way but know it wont fit in the bin and just having the FA gate check it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: