Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"Massachusetts man pleads guilty to selling and using TSA employees’ identities"

"Massachusetts man pleads guilty to selling and using TSA employees’ identities"

Old Dec 24, 2010, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*

Tripped over this one, this morning:

http://www.databreaches.net/?p=15912

Co-conspirator White’s customers included relatives and friends of state prison inmates who sought to open telephone accounts using the TSA identities in order to, among other things, circumvent prison telephone usage rules. Derring obtained the names, dates of birth, and Social Security numbers of employees who worked for TSA at Logan Airport from a relative who worked as a contractor at TSA’s department of human resources.

Humans always are the weakest link in data security...
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:47 am

thats pretty solid
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:44 am

What do you call subjecting TSA Employees to identity theft?

A good start.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:20 am

I feel sorry for the poor schlubs who might buy these identities, unaware that by using them they'll end up being thought of as TSA employees.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by FXWizard
I feel sorry for the poor schlubs who might buy these identities, unaware that by using them they'll end up being thought of as TSA employees.

Agreed. There is actually someone who wants to be considered TSA?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: WN A-list, TSA-D Silver
I'd rather have a few arrests on my record than have to tell people I'm one of the perverts that work for the TSA.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by tennster
Agreed. There is actually someone who wants to be considered TSA?
Al Queda?

The appropriate response to this leak is a complete revetting of all the employees involved and reissuing all id's and photos with a biometric version, plus full screening with the NOS of all air-side BOS TSA workers for the next 3 years. Since this is a security breach, another agency like the FBI or Boston PD should do the screening. All the TSA workers should also get free credit monitoring for the next 3 years too. (The government can attempt cost recovery for this from the perpetrator)
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Remember this as screeners demand your personal information at the checkpoint for opting-out or ending up in a "resolution" pat-down.

One more very good reasons why they should NOT collect personal information.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reft
Al Queda?

The appropriate response to this leak is a complete revetting of all the employees involved and reissuing all id's and photos with a biometric version, plus full screening with the NOS of all air-side BOS TSA workers for the next 3 years. Since this is a security breach, another agency like the FBI or Boston PD should do the screening. All the TSA workers should also get free credit monitoring for the next 3 years too. (The government can attempt cost recovery for this from the perpetrator)
They have spent way too much money on strip search machines, Genital Groping 1.01 training, public affairs and propaganda media blitzes, and SPOTNiks to have any budget left over to do a re-vetting and 100% rebadging of all of their employees. And, for the first time in the history of the TSA, they would be forced to respond to a real emerging threat.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
They have spent way too much money ... to have any budget left over to do a re-vetting and 100% rebadging of all of their employees. And, for the first time in the history of the TSA, they would be forced to respond to a real emerging threat.
Aren't there some employment sectors where the employee is required to pay for their own 'clearances' i.e. getting bonded? Teachers & Doctors have a requirement for continuing education that they foot the bill for too. But knowing the government, they'll just add another fee to the ticket.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:59 pm

Now yer gonna make me cry!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by JoeBas
What do you call subjecting TSA Employees to identity theft?

A good start.
Yes, he could be very serious charges for that. He could go to prisons for rest of the life!

The telephone system will be blocked and disconnected the phone in prisons.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.