If you've ever wondered if this would fly...

Old Dec 22, 2010, 4:02 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
OP gone missing?

Hey, what happened to the original post? Mine was 2nd.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Hey, what happened to the original post? Mine was 2nd.
And now back.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:13 am

Very effective visual dramatization - I like it. Your commentary about people's lack of awareness is interesting, too. How does anybody still not know what's going on, especially among those who are actually traveling by air right now? It's just depressing to hear that so many still aren't even informed. I'm sure they don't read the signs or pay attention to anything when they pass through the security line, so I wonder how many are still completely unaware of what they're doing when they're standing there with their arms raised in the air getting scanned. Man, why didn't I just take the blue pill?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
(I think a Kettle is a reference to Ma and Pa Kettle, from the Beverly Hillbillies?)
Those were the Clampetts.

There has been discussion that either, Kettle or Clampett, is a derogatory term to be applied to infrequent flyers, and I tend to agree that very few are that clueless. Still waiting for a 'better' alternative, so Kettles it is for the moment.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
that you felt compelled to react demonstrates it was not...
"You know, if one person - just one person - does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people - two people - do it, in harmony, they may think they're both ......s and they won't take either of them. And three people do it - three, can you imagine - three people walking in singing a bar of 'Alice's Restaurant' and walking out. They may think it's an organization. And can you - can you imagine fifty people a day - I said fifty people a day walking in singing a bar of 'Alice's Restaurant' and walking out. And friends, they may think it's a movement."
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Those were the Clampetts.

There has been discussion that either, Kettle or Clampett, is a derogatory term to be applied to infrequent flyers, and I tend to agree that very few are that clueless. Still waiting for a 'better' alternative, so Kettles it is for the moment.
Welcome to FT OP! ^

Lots of erudite discussion about "What's a Kettle?" here.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Welcome to Flyertalk, RATM and great post! ^
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
thank-you! thank-you! thank-you!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyecue
Your statement was lost in the masses.
The truth about TSA screening is lost on the same section of the masses.

I don't think we have an accurate way of judging how many people got it. I'm not surprised that no one ran up to the guy in a prison outfit to strike up a conversation. But for those that didn't get it, I'm sure they'll mention it to someone that does. People asking questions is a bad thing for a manipulative bureaucracy.

A tiny percentage of people fly regularly. Most of the resistance is manifested by people rejecting air travel. Even among those travelling, it is naive to think that submissive behavior at checkpoints = approval.

A very real popular outrage seems to be lost on the TSA.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by eyecue
Your statement was lost in the masses.
So are shoe bomb attempts and liquid attempts. However, that doesn't stop TSA from touting Richard Reid as justification. How many times do we here, "Well, it happened once, it'll happen again ..." or "If it saves just one life ..."

If the OP educates just one person with that get up each time he flies, then it's worth it.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Welcome and Well done RATM!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Superguy
If the OP educates just one person with that get up each time he flies, then it's worth it.
It's worth it. Period.

Thank you to the OP!!!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SpatialD
Very effective visual dramatization - I like it. Your commentary about people's lack of awareness is interesting, too. How does anybody still not know what's going on, especially among those who are actually traveling by air right now? It's just depressing to hear that so many still aren't even informed. I'm sure they don't read the signs or pay attention to anything when they pass through the security line, so I wonder how many are still completely unaware of what they're doing when they're standing there with their arms raised in the air getting scanned. Man, why didn't I just take the blue pill?
+1

Even talking to friends, I am amazed at how much misinformation they have. Many of them believe that they will completely skip the patdown if they go through the NoS. They also start to mention some of the TSA spew about the machines
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:42 pm

The misinformation and lack of awareness of the TSA is a DIRECT result of main stream media outlets. Many people still believe, that unless its on a tv news station, its not true.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
less than 3% of the TSA tell the truth...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.