Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

MMW loopholes easily exposed- proves TSA has no management skills whatsoever

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl

I don't understand this but at least 3 major US international gateways, DTW is one. They have a 5 line setup at the International arriving pax rescreen area C/P. It's not a big area so there is only one MMW scan machine. I observed while going through the line that only lines 2-4 had people going through. Lines 1 and 5, EVEN IF someone tripped the WTMD, they would make the pax take everything out, put it in tray, etc. No MMW walkthrough etc. I understand that International pax coming through are less of a threat, per se, but anyone with half a brain would use Lines 1 or 5. This is also present at 2 other international gateways (amt of lines vary but same logic) I've gone through, loopholes upon observation that can be spotted and taken advantage of. I've observed this at all 3 airports within the past year since they've installed these machines, and it hasn't changed.

If I saw this and the TSA were working for me. I would've fired the TSA as soon as I could inhale my next breath.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
McNamara, or Smith? Or does the Smith international arrivals offload at McNamara?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
how is screening arriving passengers doing anything for airline safety?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Many of us would have fired TSA at the first instance @:-)
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
It's not, but the OP specifically mentioned that this was the re-screen checkpoint coming out of international arrivals.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbagdon
McNamara, or Smith? Or does the Smith international arrivals offload at McNamara?
McNamara. As far as I know (I believe) there are no Int'l arrivals at Smith.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:55 pm

The list of TSA logistical/management issues is too long to post, as I'm sure this crowd knows probably better than any. However, I hesitate to comment further lest TSa improve. I kind of like them inefficient. Makes it easier to navigate screening with minimal issues (at least most of the time).

I think any non-production government business is goi g to breed these types of inefficiencies (some of which seem painfully obvious). After all, what are e measurements / metrics that define a "good" job? Are their "performance" bonuses? MBOs? Tied to what? At the end of the day, everyone goes home. "Who cares?"

Please nobody coach them
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingCowboy

Please nobody coach them
The 2 other gateways are unnamed for a reason...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Arriving international pax have access to their checked baggage, which can contain things not allowed on-board.

CBP should change the set up at international airports so that pax with only carry-on bags do not enter the baggage claim area (and Global Entry/NEXUS members that are on a connecting flight with checked bags that are tagged with a GE/Nexus label). Instead, they go to a separate customs clearance area. This would speed up customs processing (if you have just carry-ons, you have fewer things to declare, and fewer things that are possibly contraband). As passengers started to understand this advantage of carry-on, there would be fewer checked bags, and the CBP would be able to hire fewer CBP officers for customs purposes, and put more officers on the porous Mexican border.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:05 am

Arriving international pax have access to their checked baggage, which can contain things not allowed on-board.
To claim checked luggage, passengers must deplane. Once deplaned, they can't threaten those who fly. In order to threaten those who fly, they must board ANOTHER plane. Meaning check the luggage again. If they transfer anything dangerous from checked luggage to carryon, that's what TSA is supposed to be doing, screening passengers BOARDING planes.

Is there some logical loophole in there somewhere?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.