Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
On a slightly related note, even though it is not a U.S. carrier, you would've been asked to leave on any CX flight for not wearing shoes (I believe they have the rule in place for takeoff and landings only, during flight you can be as barefoot as you want to be).
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
On a slightly related note, even though it is not a U.S. carrier, you would've been asked to leave on any CX flight for not wearing shoes (I believe they have the rule in place for takeoff and landings only, during flight you can be as barefoot as you want to be).
The FA was very clear that I had to wear shoes "at all times while on the aircraft" and that this was an "FAA regulation" "in the book."

Yes, I got everyone's name and have written a detailed complaint letter that is going to Mr. Craig Kreeger, SVP of "Customer Experience" at AA.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is no FAA regulation about shoes - period. As a matter of hygiene and safety, I always wear close-top shoes when flying, although I often remove them when I'm at my seat. I'd never go into the lav barefoot - not enough antibiotics in the world for that.

However - the FA was wrong, and needs to be written up. Franky, I would have removed my shoes mid-flight and dared her to do something about it. I'm so sick and tired of this stupidity. Would I be arrested upon arrival for refusing crewmember instructions? Perhaps, but the charges would need to be dropped as the instructions were not valid or enforceable.

The FAA states you must comply with crewmember instructions - however, those instructions must be based upon FAA regs, airline ops rules, or the safety/security of the aircraft and its passengers. A FA cannot order you to go stand on your head or stop chewing gum or something else that has no bearing whatsoever on the flight.

What you could have done was dared the both of them to remove you, then claimed IDB and filed a suit. Your options now are limited to just writing in, and your letter will probably land in some Indian contractor's inbox and you'll receive a canned response. If you have any status with AA, you can send snailmail to the attention of the CEO and see if that gets any traction.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:49 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by richard
The FA was very clear that I had to wear shoes "at all times while on the aircraft" and that this was an "FAA regulation" "in the book."

Yes, I got everyone's name and have written a detailed complaint letter that is going to Mr. Craig Kreeger, SVP of "Customer Experience" at AA.
I can't stand FAs making up rules and using "FAA regulation" or "flight safety" as excuses either. I believe there was a thread with similar circumstances involving a pax wearing short on a US-based carrier (can't remember which one). That OP was also threatened to be removed unless he put on longer pants.

LAX
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
I often remove my shoes, or more often open toed sandals, as soon as I get seated before taxi and takeoff. If it is cold outside, I might leave them on until we are safely airborn, just in case of an emergency evac situation. Funny, I just thought about that yesterday flying out of IAD with my sandals off. It was pretty cold out there at 8am.

I'm wondering if excessive foot odor might have been the issue? I have, at times, removed my shoes, smelled my own foot odor, and quickly put my shoes back on so as to not offend my fellow passengers. I don't think the OP has addressed this possibility yet...

Common courtesy should prevail at all times while in the aluminum tube!

JB
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
if I choose to go barefoot in a restroom, how is that any concern of yours or anyone else's but mine? I don't find it gross and it's my body, so I think that is irrelevant. What is relevant is threatening me with arrest for failing to comply with a made-up regulation. Makes sense, right?

BTW, I wear shoes from taxi to takeoff, and final approach through landing, as these are the times most likely to require an evacuation of the plane.
Agree in all points. Next to your detailed complaint to AA you should report it to the FAA as well.

I had one AA agent in LAS threatening me with arrest because I demanded a report for my damaged bag... seems like most people bugger off after that. Too bad for her I had lots of time and used the courtesy telephone to really call the airport police. Let's just say it didn't end pretty - for the AAgent!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:28 pm

You really DO want to wear good sturdy shoes on an airplane during takeoff/landing as that is the most dangerous part of the flight. In the event of a crash and you do survive and your shoes have not been knocked off, your shoes will come in handy to step over sharp debris etc exiting.

Now for cruising I always take my shoes off and wear socks at my seat. When going to the toilet, I always put my shoes on. Say hello to germs and who knows what in an aircraft toilet.

Bare feet on a public aircraft: GROSS........ Unless you enjoy foot and nail fungus.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbart74
I'm wondering if excessive foot odor might have been the issue? I have, at times, removed my shoes, smelled my own foot odor, and quickly put my shoes back on so as to not offend my fellow passengers. I don't think the OP has addressed this possibility yet...
no foot odor whatsover.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:40 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
no foot odor whatsover.
I think a lot of people are missing the point. They are asking questions to see if the FA was justified in requiring you put on your shoes. However, whatever justification there may be, claiming it as a "FAA regulation" is simply indefensible unless it's clearly in the regulation.

LAX
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:51 pm

no foot odor whatsover.
Originally Posted by LAX
I think a lot of people are missing the point. They are asking questions to see if the FA was justified in requiring you put on your shoes. However, whatever justification there may be, claiming it as a "FAA regulation" is simply indefensible unless it's clearly in the regulation.

LAX
Sorry Richard, but I had to ask. As I stated, I can be that offender so it was a reasonable question. And LAX, I agree with your comment. I hadn't missed that point, but was looking for some/any explanation for the FA's actions. Both the TSA and the airlines love to use the line that "this is an FAA regulation," in order to get us all to comply with whatever they deem reasonable or appropriate.

I'm still wondering, after 8 flights these past few weeks hearing the GA's tell me over the intercom that "FAA requires that all passengers may only carry one bag and one personal item onboard the aircraft." I never violate this rule as it has been in effect by the airlines long before the TSA came into existence (I am not confusing the TSA with the FAA) but it strikes me as odd that this is the new line over the past few years concerning carry-ons. Anyone have more info on that? Is it really an FAA rule?

JB
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbart74
Sorry Richard, but I had to ask. As I stated, I can be that offender so it was a reasonable question. And LAX, I agree with your comment. I hadn't missed that point, but was looking for some/any explanation for the FA's actions. Both the TSA and the airlines love to use the line that "this is an FAA regulation," in order to get us all to comply with whatever they deem reasonable or appropriate.

I'm still wondering, after 8 flights these past few weeks hearing the GA's tell me over the intercom that "FAA requires that all passengers may only carry one bag and one personal item onboard the aircraft." I never violate this rule as it has been in effect by the airlines long before the TSA came into existence (I am not confusing the TSA with the FAA) but it strikes me as odd that this is the new line over the past few years concerning carry-ons. Anyone have more info on that? Is it really an FAA rule?

JB
I have to laugh...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...-my-authoritah
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:56 pm

HEHEHEHEHEHE! Gotta love South Park!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: QF SG, AA Plat
Originally Posted by greentips
There might be a reason for wearing them on the ground. If the airplane were to break or an engine were to explode and an evac was required, it might save feet from being cut on shrapnel. Rare, but then, you never know when the underwear might explode.
Every evac instruction I've had tells ladies to REMOVE high heel shoes before using the slides to prevent damage.

It would have been amusing to ask the FA for the FAA regulation number. I assume they'd have it in their ops manuals onboard.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:00 am

I said I didn't choose to wear shoes and she said "it's an FAA regulation in the book, you must wear shoes at all times while you are on the aircraft. At all times."
It may not be an "FAA regulation", but it is in the American Airlines Conditions of Carriage.

Section 12 (Acceptance of Passengers)
American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following: ...
(6) Your conduct is disorderly, abusive, or violent, or you: ...
(g) are barefoot.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/customerServi...jsp#AcceptPass
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:01 am

If you look at American Airlines Conditions of Carriage under "Acceptance of Passengers", you will find the following regulation:

American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following:

6. Your conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or you

g. are barefoot

http://bit.ly/f5M75u

Last edited by Jetbee; Dec 7, 2010 at 12:02 am Reason: forgot some info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.