Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and Nervous

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iowakatie1981
I know that I have a right to a private screening, but frankly, I'm more likely to prefer not to exercise it. Like I said, I'm sure everyone is very professional, but I'd prefer to have witnesses to the process, and since I'm traveling alone.
You should note that at checkin, you can request an airline rep to be a witness.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: TSA
I have also wondered if TSA would allow me to remove my prosthesis (I could wear shorts) and have it xrayed on the conveyor belt while I just hop on one foot through the mag (I do this at home all the time - well, without the mag part). Then no alarms would be set off, and I could just put my leg back on and go, without being touched. I don't know whether I'm gutsy enough to try this, but it's a thought I've had.
That is the best thing for you to avoid being patted down
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Katie...
So far, I've had almost universally good experiences going through security in AUS. (have flown out of there 6 times since Nov. 1) The only 'negative' was the time I asked a TSA why they get to go into the secure area with their personal possesions/lunch and do not even have their possesions xrayed, much less their bodies through the WTMD.
We don't have the NOS (yet, dammit...) so they don't supposedly do the 'enhanced' patdown yet. (another disconnect I don't understand, but am happy to not have to deal with it just yet)

Welcome to AUS!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Originally Posted by Chaos the Crazy
ALWAYS ship presents ahead - less for you to carry and worry about when you need your wits about you as you travel.
And more reasonable in price with far less threat of damage or theft. My last flight in October, I shipped my bags ahead - $18 to ship 42 lbs from CMH to the home of the friend picking me up at Norfolk/ORF. US Airways wanted $23 to ship my bag. My bag arrived at my friend's home 18 hours after shipping. It's playing roulette if I leave it to the airlines. In this case, given that my flight ended up completely screwed up, and I was re-routed to another city altogether, I (and the airline) was thrilled to only have to worry about myself and my small carry-on bag. While I gave up all but one remaining flight due to the TSA, I'm shipping my luggage in the future unless it's Southwest; it's less expensive and less hassle and less threat of sticky fingers from either the TSA or the airline employees/contractors.

And if you ship, you can wrap 'em if you want!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
When you dress for the trip, really THINK about what you are donning. It is easy to forget the bra underwire, a random zipper, and an occasional metal button (top of jeans is one). Any jewelry, watches, belt buckles, etc. It is awfully easy to just not realize one of your items of clothing/accessories has some metal in it.

They get tense about such things as even a loosely tied scarf or hoodies. Your body suit idea is excellent. Pull-on, elastic-waisted slacks, and a simple form-fitting top over that.

And for the record, I've gone through the MSP security several times lately (both methods) and not been subjected to any groping. You do have some unique issues that could increase the probability but I think you will be fine. There is a lot of advice here on how to combat TSA, but I personally think the better route is cooperation.

Romelle
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Alright, here goes. I fly out of MSP first thing tomorrow morning (6 am departure). I am planning on being at the airport at 4 (good Lord, I'm spending the night with a friend in Roseville...I may as well not even go to bed...)

Planned outfit is lots of metal-less layers to minimize the gropeage: Underwear, sports bra, one-piece swimsuit (I decided to cobble something together from what I already owned, rather than let the TSA force me to spend $20 on a new bodysuit or unitard), CuddlDuds longsleeve shirt, tight longsleeve Tshirt, scrub pants, flat "ballet slipper" type shoes.

I'm going to feel like a fool...

Will pack a "real" bra and tennis shoes in the carry-on so I can change once I get through.

Pray for me, everyone! I need to remember: name of offending agent, clean gloves, ID and BP back in bag as soon as they have been checked.

Here goes nothing!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
You should note that at checkin, you can request an airline rep to be a witness.
Were I an amputee preparing to fly anywhere in today's Kabuki Security Theatre, I'd invite a local news team to be the witness - "Want to see what we have to go through to fly?"

There's about a whelk's chance in a supernova that I would accept a package handler's invitation to a "private pat-down."

And it speaks volumes that any representative of the TSAsi would even suggest that removing a prosthesis and hopping through the WTMD would be a good way to avoid the pat-down...
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
I am a recently retired police officer and a law and order type guy, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here. What is happening in our country and what the TSA is doing is absolutely disgusting. Reading the link up-post about all TSA's procedures for amputees and medical devices is a travesty. Any terrorist reading that monstrosity inflicted by Americans on other Americans will realize the terrorists have won without even hijacking another plane or bombing another soft target. If I were you, I would go against the TSA's suggestion (and from what I gleaned from their website it's only a suggestion) and do take off your prosthesis and hop through the metal detector to avoid secondary. Have a news crew there or someone taking video and loudly exclaim what a law abiding American has to endure to travel within the borders of our own country.

Also remember, just because those clerks have badges, does not mean they are law enforcement. Mall cops have badges too. They are one step up from burger flippers and their agency and their mission is a disgrace. Don't let them intimidate you or make you nervous!

I would also love to see someone with a colostomy bag "accidently" have it burst open all over one of those disgraceful nazi .......s.

End of rant.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chugger1
They are one step up from burger flippers and their agency and their mission is a disgrace.
1) Burger flippers don't molest your children just so you can get a burger.

2) What exactly *is* their mission?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:30 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Originally Posted by Caradoc
1) Burger flippers don't molest your children just so you can get a burger.

2) What exactly *is* their mission?
Their mission is to annoy, impede, offend, obfuscate, prevaricate, and assault.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm Reason: inflammatory comment delete
Old Dec 26, 2010, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
I WANT MY AMERICA BACK!
that ended 9/11

Lets thank the TSA for trying to prevent another one
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:15 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Originally Posted by meisterau
that ended 9/11

and Sieg Heil to you, too, meisterau.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Hi Katie,

So sorry that anyone has to even think about preparing to have the government molest them. As an FF with a little bit of additional insight on the TSA:

1) If you can remove and have x-rayed the prosthesis, and can get through the WTMD, it is unlikely that you will be patted down. There is no rule that prostheses must be worn rather than x-rayed. If you do this, odds are you'll get through without being asked for a feel.

2) My advice to you for the possibility that you will be asked to submit to being molested is that you make clear to the TSA what your boundraies are. If you tell them, "I consent to a pat down, but you may not touch my breasts, labia, or anywhere inside of my pants," and they do anyway, it is a crime (depending on your state, it could be something called battery, sexual abuse, forcible touching, etc.). However, passengers have had mixed success with this. Some have been allowed through, others have been denied boarding, others have been arrested, and others have been molested anyway.

3) The TSA complaint form you're preparing -- you might as well address it to Santa Claus because the TSA doesn't care. While I won't discourage you from filing just because "the more they get, the better," please don't think that if they molest you, you can get even with a complaint.

The question is: Is your trip worth being molested by your goverment? If so, then comply. If not, set your boundaries and stick to them. The TSA knows that if they were to arrest or deny boarding to a young handicapped woman for refusing to have her genitals touched, the media attention they would get would not be good for them. Being the person who stood up for handicapped flyers all over the country is, in my opinion, much better than being the person shaking and in tears on the airplane, mad at herself for letting herself be touched like that.

Again, if you can get through the WTMD, odds are, you won't face any of this on your journey. Eventually, the odds will come up, so it's worthwhile to be prepared and decide in advance what you are willing to do.

--Jon

Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by meisterau
that ended 9/11

Why should we thank the TSA for trying to prevent another America?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:17 pm

I have also wondered if TSA would allow me to remove my prosthesis (I could wear shorts) and have it xrayed on the conveyor belt while I just hop on one foot through the mag (I do this at home all the time - well, without the mag part). Then no alarms would be set off, and I could just put my leg back on and go, without being touched. I don't know whether I'm gutsy enough to try this, but it's a thought I've had.
A redditor did just that with no issues, or pat downs - so it would work. Makes a really effective statement too, showing just how absurd the situation has gotten. Especially with how many recent amputees are veterans of our war on terrorism - I bet they have a few choice words for TSA's claim of being on the front lines.

Last edited by eskachig; Dec 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.