Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA frisks groom children to cooperate with sex predators, abuse expert says

TSA frisks groom children to cooperate with sex predators, abuse expert says

Old Dec 1, 10, 5:44 pm

Telling a child that they are engaging in a game is "one of the most common ways" that sexual predators use to convince children to engage in inappropriate contact, Wooden told Raw Story.
That's right. They are using that tactic because personal experience has shown them that it is effective.

Children "don't have the sophistication" to distinguish between a pat-down carried out by an airport security officer and an assault by a sexual predator, he said.
I"m afraid I don't have that level of "sophistication" either, and I'm middle aged. So what's the difference again?
Old Dec 1, 10, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IslandBased View Post
never....

Maybe they will get to be school crossing officers, if TSA does completely lose it's credibility.
No, they get to be the grunt labor at Alcatraz Prison, putting it back in operation. Then they get to be the prisoners.
Old Dec 1, 10, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LeeAnne View Post
From that article: "On Tuesday, TSA administrator John Pistole said the agency may change its screening rules for victims of sex abuse. He also said the TSA had no plans to continue expanding the airport screening process."

Oh REALLY? And how, exactly, does Mr. Pistole intend for the TSA to determine who are victims of sex abuse? What...are we gonna fill out a sex-abuse form? Are the smurfs now going to ASK, so we have to announce it to the world? Oh yeah, I can hear it now, blasting out over the PA at the smurf station: "Please put your shoes in the bin, and remove your laptops from their cases. If you are a sexual assault victim, please pick up a red tag from the basket and place it around your neck. Victims of gang rapes, please place the number of tags around your neck corresponding to the number of rapes."

And does he have the slightest awareness that many studies show that 1 in 6 women will be a victim of sexual abuse at some point in her life? And that there are some foreign countries in which 1 in 3 women have been raped?

And what constitutes a victim of sexual abuse? Must there have been vaginal or anal penetration, or would inappropriate touching by a perverted uncle when you were 6 count? Does rape while in prison count? How about male victims, and children? Do you think they will want to make it public knowledge at the TSA checkpoint?

I keep thinking it can't get any worse...and then it does.
I suggest that once a person has been screened by TSA they are a victim of sexual abuse.
Old Dec 1, 10, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
I suggest that once a person has been screened by TSA they are a victim of sexual abuse.
+1!!!
Old Dec 1, 10, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by LeeAnne View Post
Are the smurfs now going to ASK, so we have to announce it to the world?
No, no... don't be silly, you'll just include it in your SecureFlight data...

First Name:
Middle Name:
Last Name:
Type of abuse: (drop down menu)
Redress number:
Old Dec 1, 10, 9:15 pm

This agency and those in charge are totally and completely out of touch with reality. How can someone (Pissy) say something so absurd? Exactly how does an uneducated workforce determine who is a victim of sexual abuse? What right do they even have in making that determination? What right does the government have as well?

Absolutely none!

Pissy and Nappy should be impeached and held accountable for the crimes their agency is commiting on a daily basis against law abiding citizens and guests alike.

Unfortunately, we will never see that happen.

Welcome to the new Amerika.
Old Dec 1, 10, 9:27 pm

Programs: NWA Tears
This of course begs the question... If this is so emotionally traumatic for victims of sex abuse that TSA even considers an alternative, why is it OK for everyone else?
Old Dec 1, 10, 10:05 pm
Suspended

OK, here's a hypothetical. Say, someone gets groped, considers himself sexually abused and sues the SMURF individually (as opposed to suing the agency).

Smurf's defense?

One can argue facts, but let's assume that facts are indisputable.

One can also argue that immunity applies; however, it only applies if the smurf followed the SOP (which is SSI or whatever). That, in my opinion, creates a Catch-22: either TSA throws that smurf under the bus (which is good: a judgment against one just might instill some politeness into the rest of them) or disclose the SOP (which can be used to further challenge TSA's practices). Any thoughts?
Old Dec 5, 10, 4:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In recent weeks, I've repeatedly seen infants/toddlers start to scream when getting the rub-down from the TSA -- courtesy of the "secondary" screening that occurs when the single parent has liquids/gels for the child(ren) that exceed the "3-1-1" (or is it already or soon to be "reasonable" quantity for the journey "standard"???) nonsense. They begin to scream or continue to scream when the parent is getting the "private" areas groped.

Given how such young children have a great ability to tell who are good people with altruistic intentions and "bad" people who are far from being more altruistic, I am not surprised by these outcomes when the TSA is groping parts of their body (or that of their parents) that would be considered a sexual offense if a random stranger did this to a child or an adult on the street.

The screaming of such infants/toddlers at checkpoints seems to have gotten worse since the TSA "enhanced" its filthy touches that send mixed messages to children and groom them to cooperate with sex predators.

When a young child sees their parents being rubbed down like this, they are more likely to accept non-TSA sex predators doing the same to them too.

to the TSA being the child-molesting sex predators' dream come true.

... and adult survivors of sexual abuse seem to also have issues with the TSA's groping of private areas: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/11/17/t...survivors.html

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 5, 10 at 5:27 am
Old Dec 5, 10, 5:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
In recent weeks, I've repeatedly seen infants/toddlers start to scream when getting the rub-down from the TSA -- courtesy of the "secondary" screening that occurs when the single parent has liquids/gels for the child(ren) that exceed the "3-1-1" (or is it already or soon to be "reasonable" quantity for the journey "standard"???) nonsense. They begin to scream or continue to scream when the parent is getting the "private" areas groped.

Given how such young children have a great ability to tell who are good people with altruistic intentions and "bad" people who are far from being more altruistic, I am not surprised by these outcomes when the TSA is groping parts of their body (or that of their parents) that would be considered a sexual offense if a random stranger did this to a child or an adult on the street.

The screaming of such infants/toddlers at checkpoints seems to have gotten worse since the TSA "enhanced" its filthy touches that send mixed messages to children and groom them to cooperate with sex predators.

When a young child sees their parents being rubbed down like this, they are more likely to accept non-TSA sex predators doing the same to them too.

... and adult survivors of sexual abuse seem to also have issues with the TSA's groping of private areas: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/11/17/t...survivors.html
With respect to the Newsweek article, here's a site that lists several organizations that assist survivors of sexual abuse/rape:

http://www.womenslaw.org/gethelp_nat...p?type_id=1056

Those who are inclined to do so, might want to consider contacting some of the organizations mention. Forget RAIIN, however, they are funded by the US Justice Department.
Old Dec 5, 10, 9:02 am

I had to join to express my thoughts.

I notice threads like this that are backed up with factual evidence the TSO members don't try to defend the procedures.....just a personal observation.
Old Dec 5, 10, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by imlflyer View Post
I notice threads like this that are backed up with factual evidence the TSO members don't try to defend the procedures...
Yeah, very interesting -- just where are all the TSA apologists on THIS thread? What about it, TSA champions: Let's hear you try to defend THIS:

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

Old Apr 27, 11, 11:23 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Thumbs down "TSA Told To Tell Children That Groping Them Is A Game..."

"You try to make it as best you can for that child to come through. If you can come up with some kind of a game to play with a child, it makes it a lot easier."

Summary:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-experts.shtml

Details:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/0...-abuse-expert/

Well done, federal government.

1. Trample Constitution
2. Pretend to be a psychologist or radiologist
3. Groom children for sexual abuse
Old Apr 27, 11, 11:37 am

Unfortunately, it occasionally becomes necessary to explain to children that adults in authority make mistakes and break the trust that is typically given to them. When this happens, it is our job as parents not to support the error in order to maintain their confidence. We do this when our children hear that a teacher, police officer or clergy has been convicted of a violent crime, for example. I have had to make these explanations as a parent; I would guess most parents have had this unfortunate opportunity.

We do not make a game of it, we do not make light of it. We clarify that it is WRONG. And I would do it right then and right there if my child observed this happening at the checkpoint.

But, yes, it IS often easier to abuse a child if you elicit their cooperation by the use of a diversion such as a game. It is even easier still if you have a polite, compliant child, a swift-handed abuser and a shellshocked parent standing watch.
Old Apr 27, 11, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If TSA workers are told to say such then the whole TSA mess is just one very sick organization.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: