Search

Thoughts about Thanksgiving travel 2010

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Thoughts about Thanksgiving travel 2010

There has been a growing tide of concern and complaints here and in the media. But crunch time is this coming week. What I saw from travel last week and read is that the TSA is rolling out new procedures and new equipment at a very high level the week or two before the busiest time of the year.

From what I have seen neither the TSOs nor the travelers know how to "use" the scanners and they take a lot longer than metal detectors to screen someone. With that going in place right before Thanksgiving Im expecting a total fiasco in terms of security screening times, even without substantial numbers of people opting out. If the latter happens it will be a perfect storm. TSA cant handle huge crowds that well even with metal detectors. I doubt they could do it with the new equipment even without the issue of it being new just because it seems to take longer per passenger. But put it all together and it will likely be a memorably awful day to travel. Glad I am staying home.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It should be a very interesting day. Personally, I wonder if TSA will not use the scanners on NOOD, either to prove something, or because they know that lines will be out the door.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
There has been a growing tide of concern and complaints here and in the media. But crunch time is this coming week. What I saw from travel last week and read is that the TSA is rolling out new procedures and new equipment at a very high level the week or two before the busiest time of the year.

From what I have seen neither the TSOs nor the travelers know how to "use" the scanners and they take a lot longer than metal detectors to screen someone. With that going in place right before Thanksgiving Im expecting a total fiasco in terms of security screening times, even without substantial numbers of people opting out. If the latter happens it will be a perfect storm. TSA cant handle huge crowds that well even with metal detectors. I doubt they could do it with the new equipment even without the issue of it being new just because it seems to take longer per passenger. But put it all together and it will likely be a memorably awful day to travel. Glad I am staying home.
Throw in some bad weather somewhere and air travel will grind to a near halt.

I'm betting that within TSA all leave and liberty has been cancelled for the 23rd and it still won't be enough people to man the airports.

The only party to blame for the non-weather related delays are John Pistole and his TSA screeners.

Thank TSA for making air travel one of the least desirable methods available.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
we are traveling on the 23rd from SFO

and i am leaving more time to go thru every day...started at -2 hrs, now -3 hrs, considering -4 hrs.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: TSA
DEN has had at least one of those scanners for almost 2 years. That is why it is so hard to understand what the fuss is about. Was it the pat down that brought everything to a head? You are correct about them being slower than a wtmd. That is perhaps the biggest drawback. The media has been reporting the wrong information about opt out day and saying the people are going to opt out from everything on the 24th just create a backlog. I can not see the point of that. If they opt out of ait that is one thing, opt out of the alternative patdown and you will be asked to leave the CP. It could be a huge waste of resources.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thank TSA for making air travel one of the least desirable methods available.
& not just for Turkey Day. We used to love traveling, sometimes spending every weekend on planes & in airports 2-3 months w/o a break, spend a weekend in an American or European city we hadn't seen before, visit my mother, attend air shows, etc.

No longer.

& it is the environment created by TSA that is 100% responsible for that.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by eyecue
DEN has had at least one of those scanners for almost 2 years. That is why it is so hard to understand what the fuss is about. Was it the pat down that brought everything to a head? You are correct about them being slower than a wtmd. That is perhaps the biggest drawback. The media has been reporting the wrong information about opt out day and saying the people are going to opt out from everything on the 24th just create a backlog. I can not see the point of that. If they opt out of ait that is one thing, opt out of the alternative patdown and you will be asked to leave the CP. It could be a huge waste of resources.
Maybe it's not just the new patdown. Maybe it is also that the scanners are now primary. We were originally assured that they would only be used to resolve secondaries. If they still were only being used to resolve WTMD alarms, you wouldn't be hearing nearly as much kickback and the lines would be moving a lot faster because far fewer people would be going through them (or being patted down).

Not only do you have an aggressive new patdown, you have far more people being patted down than before. Also, when you alarmed the WTMD, you usually got a second chance - you know, the alarm went off and the TSO would remind you to empty pockets, etc, to help you clear. Now many people get sent to the NoS and still get a full-body frisk, even if the anomaly is something in their pocket - or nothing at all.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:39 pm

Hi Eyecue,

I think the physical invasion of privacy has a great deal to do with it, but I think people might not have always been as aware of some of the drawbacks of AIT as they are today. I think the outrage that you are seeing in people is because the basic human right of privacy and not to be touched inappropriately is being trampled on. People will only be pushed so far before they have enough. I think we may be witnessing that moment.

JBC78
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B500 Safari/531.21.10)

Originally Posted by chollie
Maybe it's not just the new patdown. Maybe it is also that the scanners are now primary. We were originally assured that they would only be used to resolve secondaries. If they still were only being used to resolve WTMD alarms, you wouldn't be hearing nearly as much kickback and the lines would be moving a lot faster because far fewer people would be going through them (or being patted down).

Not only do you have an aggressive new patdown, you have far more people being patted down than before. Also, when you alarmed the WTMD, you usually got a second chance - you know, the alarm went off and the TSO would remind you to empty pockets, etc, to help you clear. Now many people get sent to the NoS and still get a full-body frisk, even if the anomaly is something in their pocket - or nothing at all.
Yep. Good summary of the changes.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Thanksgiving trips now officially canceled because I won't put my girls through what I have seen the TSA doing this month.

Congratulations, US airlines - less revenue for you!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Thanksgiving trips now officially canceled because I won't put my girls through what I have seen the TSA doing this month.

Write the airlines and let them know. Show them proof too.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by squeakr
and i am leaving more time to go thru every day...started at -2 hrs, now -3 hrs, considering -4 hrs.
Remember when you could get to the airport an hour before departure? Or how about showing up 40 minutes before, and still having time to go through check-in, security, etc...

Originally Posted by Wilbur

Please let your airline know the reason that you canceled your trip!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but that machine was there for only two lanes and one magnetometer, so very few people got the opportunity to go in there.

And I'm glad you pointed out the speed. There are some idiot PR people for the TSA who have either danced around or just flat-out said that the speed of it is equal to walking through a WTMD. It's simply not the case, and shows that some of the PR folks are lying through their teeth.

About opting out of everything, judging by what has been seen and said, I think your supervisors will make a big stink out of anyone who opts completely out. Complete with a few supervisors, a few suits and cops that will be invited to the party. Is everyone like that needed? I think the onus on whether it's too many people is on your management.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:57 pm
Suspended

That's the whole point of the exercise.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:58 pm

Last edited by Cass314; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.