Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA Blog says AIT Can't Store/Transmit Re: Drudge Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

The Drudge report recently linked to this article with the very misleading headline: “TSAXXX: Naked Body Scans Leak Online” This is about the US Marshal Service (NOT Federal Air Marshal Service) storing Advanced Imaging Technology images at a Florida courthouse checkpoint (Not a TSA checkpoint). This has led many to ask if TSA is doing the same. As we’ve stated from the beginning, TSA has not, will not and the machines cannot store images of passengers at airports. The equipment sent by the manufacturer to airports cannot store, transmit or print images and operators at airports do not have the capability to activate any such function. You can read our blog post on this subject from earlier this summer. Or you can read the US Marshals Service Press Release on this matter.
BB and TSA are definitely feeling the heat. Time to work overtime to get plenty of puff pieces out there..

http://blog.tsa.gov/
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Hm. So why does the Gen 2 Product Spec Sheet from Brijot.com show their machines come standard with USB and Ethernet slots?

Yes, I realize that posting this information will likely just cause Brijot to remove it. I have screenshotted it for posterity, with Nov. 5 or so as the date, to prove that the TSA is intentionally omitting this information as of this week.

However, whatever happens, I think the TSA has the responsibility to prove that the machines don't have those capabilities - i.e. submit to review from independent third parties - rather than relying on "trust us" style promises when a.) it's been proven the Feds will save images, b.) somewhere around here is a thread showing TSA paperwork requiring the machines to save images in test mode, c.) the subject at hand is this important - and TSA has every motivation in the world to want to save images of people, combined with the identification we're required to show, for any number of purposes.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Hm. So why does the Gen 2 Product Spec Sheet from Brijot.com show their machines come standard with USB and Ethernet slots?
So that, in the TSA's mind, "the machine" cannot save or store images, but another machine (i.e, the USB stick) can.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For TSA to claim the WBI cannot store images is just not true. The contract specs require that capability, along with USB data transfer, high capacity drives (images are large) and network capabilities.

Now TSA claims the image storage feature is turned off before the machines are installed in airports but why would anyone trust TSA after the pack of lies that has flowed out of that agency?

Do you trust TSA?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
I'll say it again - the RFP (the one EPIC and others have posted before) required the ability to store images (yes, it did say training mode, from what I recall) and further stated the specific levels of personnel that were enabled to place the system in said mode and permit captures. Several of the personnel listed are assigned at the airport level from what other sources have posted.

If the two Qualified Vendors have installed machines at the airport checkpoints without that capability (the ability to go into training mode and capture/store images), then they are in violation of the Federal Acquisition Regulations for failure to comply with deliverable specifications (at least according to my annual FAR courses here at work) and should be reported to the GAO for investigation.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
For TSA to claim the WBI cannot store images is just not true. The contract specs require that capability, along with USB data transfer, high capacity drives (images are large) and network capabilities.

Now TSA claims the image storage feature is turned off before the machines are installed in airports but why would anyone trust TSA after the pack of lies that has flowed out of that agency?

Do you trust TSA?
In the beginning (around 9/11), I may have believed they were there to help us. Now, I have absolutely no trust for them.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Do you trust TSA?
NO WAY!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: CO/DL
Bull**it Bob and TSA at their very best again
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: CO/DL
Do you trust TSA?
Not for a second

Last edited by RoadVeteran; Nov 17, 2010 at 10:35 am Reason: correction
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
BB and TSA are definitely feeling the heat. Time to work overtime to get plenty of puff pieces out there..

http://blog.tsa.gov/
Not one post in support of the poll thread or the "don't touch my junk" thread. Bob is getting beat up really good.

For those of our members who are in DC, are there tanks surrounding DHS HQ yet to protect it from mobs of very angry citizens?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Do you trust TSA?
Not as far as i can put around down range through george washingtons nose.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:30 am

Two words that bypass imaging security

Camera Phone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.