Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"Not enough TSA to do patdown" is the new excuse

Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat

A good friend of mine went though LAX today and opted out of the NoS. Apaprently, the TSO said that "there weren't enough TSOs available to do the patdown" and that they "preferred" if he would use the NoS. Ultimatly he stood his ground and got a patdown, but only after threatening to file a lawsuit.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:20 am

A lawsuit would be the least of their worries
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Wow. Wonder what would have happened had your friend been female - apparently there aren't enough clerks to do the frisking on women. Probably your friend would have been groped by an opposite-sex screener.

Can't wait for Opt Out Day. I'll probably sit on my computer all damn day.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This seems to be the new wildcat way of handling these situations.

I wonder, at what point, do you summon for an LEO and ask whether it falls under unlawful detention?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:25 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I am clocking five minutes. After that an LEO gets called.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Another one of the tricks to delay you for opting out
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by LessO2
This seems to be the new wildcat way of handling these situations.

I wonder, at what point, do you summon for an LEO and ask whether it falls under unlawful detention?
I predict this is exactly what will happen on the 24th.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Originally Posted by tacostuff
Apparently, the TSO said that "there weren't enough TSOs available to do the patdown" and that they "preferred" if he would use the NoS.
Sounds like another excuse to expand the TSA by adding more clerks. Government waste at it's best!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Gold (former Platinum), SPG Gold, SWA, UA, National Car, TSA Disparager Silver
Originally Posted by Sydneysider
I am clocking five minutes. After that an LEO gets called.
5 minutes is what I'm going to use if the situation arises when I fly on Friday.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lkkinetic
5 minutes is what I'm going to use if the situation arises when I fly on Friday.
+1

I am returning from LHR on Sunday. I will go through ORD, so I hope the Chicago PD will help me if I ask for them..
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:50 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
And don't forget that we have a stronger case for "unlawful detention" based on TSA's own policy that we may not exit the screening process once it has commenced.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Wow. Wonder what would have happened had your friend been female - apparently there aren't enough clerks to do the frisking on women. Probably your friend would have been groped by an opposite-sex screener.

Can't wait for Opt Out Day. I'll probably sit on my computer all damn day.
Hmm. Wasn't there a successful discrimination lawsuit about some place that didn't have enough women's toilets?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:15 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tacostuff
A good friend of mine went though LAX today and opted out of the NoS. Apaprently, the TSO said that "there weren't enough TSOs available to do the patdown" and that they "preferred" if he would use the NoS. Ultimatly he stood his ground and got a patdown, but only after threatening to file a lawsuit.
Bolding mine: And apparently I would say, "that's fine but that's not my problem. Please find someone do do the patdown now and while you're at it, please bring over the FSD for this airport, the TSA terminal manager, the Ground Service Coordinator for <insert airline name> and a LEO and I'll wait right here until you do. Thank you very much".
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:47 pm
Original Member

These are government agents. I hardly think threatening them with local police will accomplish anything, nor do I think the local police would interfere with their operations. You're just going to sit there.

QL
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: And apparently I would say, "that's fine but that's not my problem. Please find someone do do the patdown now and while you're at it, please bring over the FSD for this airport, the TSA terminal manager, the Ground Service Coordinator for <insert airline name> and a LEO and I'll wait right here until you do. Thank you very much".
Before asking the TSO to get these above mention people, I would tell the TSO that I am claiming this delay is strictly retaliation for not submitting to be screened by the NOS, which I think that SATSO had posted previously that retaliation by TSO’s is against procedures.

If that doesn’t get the TSO jumping, then when those people you requested do show up, use the retaliation word very often. And make sure to file a complaint of retaliation against the first TSO and any other supervisor including the above mentioned TSA managers that tries to talk their way out of it, so make sure you get their names and badge numbers.

Mr. Elliott

Originally Posted by QuietLion
These are government agents. I hardly think threatening them with local police will accomplish anything, nor do I think the local police would interfere with their operations. You're just going to sit there.

QL
I think that your are right, a LEO will not interfere with a TSA procedure, but make sure you tell the LEO that is was you who requested an LEO and you want him/her as a witness to your claim that your delay is retaliatory in nature, so make sure you get the LEO’s name or business card if you intend to follow up with any further action.

Mr. Elliott

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 16, 2010 at 12:55 am Reason: merge consecutive posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.