Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

National Opt-Out Day: Warn Your Local Airport Administration/Authority!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion

As we all know, National Opt Out day is coming quickly. With the rather large potential for bottlenecks, missed flights, public awareness/anger and stranded passengers, airlines and the TSA are not the only parties that should be made aware of this issue. Rightly or wrongly, airports and their administrators will likely deal with negative press from issues that arise from screenings--just look at what happened to "Johnny Edge" in SAN.

If you are participating in National Opt Out Day, send an e-mail or letter to your local airport's Executive Director and/or Board stating your reasoning and/or the well known pamphlet explaining AIT.

If you aren't flying that day, send them a letter with the same info, and describe how your travel patterns from airport XYZ will change as a result of the TSA's new rules and procedures.

Contact information for airport administrators and boards can be found on airports' websites or in your local newspaper. It might also be helpful to drop a letter/email to the leadership of The American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE) as they represent airport executives and operations people around the US.

While I won't be traveling that day, I am planning on handing out literature at my local airport. It was suggested here that anything of that sort be cleared first with the airport. I'll be posting a sample letter here in the next 24 hours that could be used to that point.

The best weapon we have in this fight is information. Make sure all parties are informed as we go forward!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:15 pm

I, too, was thinking of handing out information at my local airport. I'd love to take a look at the letter you are sending. Does anyone know if any specific laws prohibit us from passing out literature for the purpose of a non-profit greater good. On a lighter note, I'll also be handing out flowers on behalf of the church of religious consciousness!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by jco613
I'll also be handing out flowers on behalf of the church of religious consciousness!

You owe me a new keyboard
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Here's the sample letter. I think it's a bit long in the tooth, and would encourage edits/subtractions.

Dear Mr. Administrator

My name is n301dp. I am a Delta Silver Medallion as well as a former Northwest Gold and Silver Elite. In the six years I have lived in Grand Forks, by my own count I have flown into and out of GFK just short of 100 flights.

As you are likely well aware, the Transportation Security Administration has begun implementation and use of Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) and invasive, enhanced pat-downs of passengers flying in the US airline system. While Grand Forks does not currently employ either of the AIT methods (millimeter wave or backscatter x-ray), I was dismayed to read that the new terminal would be receiving these invasive devices. It has been communicated to me by several people traveling in and out of GFK that the new pat-down procedures are in-place, and are incredibly invasive--bordering on, as several people have said in news articles, sexual assault.

My purpose in writing you today is two-fold. First and foremost, I hope that the information I have shared with you in this e-mail and attachments are not new to you. If they are, I’d like to strongly encourage you, your staff, and members of the Board of Directors to familiarize yourself with the inherent health risks, privacy concerns and potential for problems with the TSA’s new policies and procedures. There are several sources of information, both from the TSA and other, non-governmental outlets.

As you may be aware, a push for a nationwide Opt-Out day of AIT screening is being planned for November 24th. While I will not be traveling on that day, several community members and myself would like to hand out the attached pamphlet to passengers traveling out of Grand Forks on that day. Our purpose in this action is not to impede or hinder the work of anyone at the airport, and to that effort, we will not be blocking the security line, check-in areas or baggage claim. Instead, we hope to educate the flying public about the risks and privacy issues they face on their journeys. To that end, I want to make you aware of what we will be handing out and the manner in which it will be done so as to minimize the potential for confusion or conflict.

If you should have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

n301dp

(attach dontscan.us pamphlet)

I, too, was thinking of handing out information at my local airport. I'd love to take a look at the letter you are sending. Does anyone know if any specific laws prohibit us from passing out literature for the purpose of a non-profit greater good. On a lighter note, I'll also be handing out flowers on behalf of the church of religious consciousness!
No thanks, I gave at the office.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:44 am

On a lighter note, I'll also be handing out flowers on behalf of the church of religious consciousness!
Do you remember the screening scene of this same movie? They let through fully armed men, but grabbing grandma?

And we thought it was a joke......
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n301dp
As we all know, National Opt Out day is coming quickly. With the rather large potential for bottlenecks, missed flights, public awareness/anger and stranded passengers, airlines and the TSA are not the only parties that should be made aware of this issue. Rightly or wrongly, airports and their administrators will likely deal with negative press from issues that arise from screenings--just look at what happened to "Johnny Edge" in SAN.

If you are participating in National Opt Out Day, send an e-mail or letter to your local airport's Executive Director and/or Board stating your reasoning and/or the well known pamphlet explaining AIT.

If you aren't flying that day, send them a letter with the same info, and describe how your travel patterns from airport XYZ will change as a result of the TSA's new rules and procedures.

Contact information for airport administrators and boards can be found on airports' websites or in your local newspaper. It might also be helpful to drop a letter/email to the leadership of The American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE) as they represent airport executives and operations people around the US.

While I won't be traveling that day, I am planning on handing out literature at my local airport. It was suggested here that anything of that sort be cleared first with the airport. I'll be posting a sample letter here in the next 24 hours that could be used to that point.

The best weapon we have in this fight is information. Make sure all parties are informed as we go forward!

I see no good reason to warn anyone.

The airports in concert with the airlines have allowed TSA to use unacceptable screening methods.

Let them all suffer.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

The airports in concert with the airlines have allowed TSA to use unacceptable screening methods.

Let them all suffer.
^^^
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
I'm not really sure it's an appropriate letter - I've edited below.

The airport will almost certainly have some general policy about distributing literature on airport property, whether it's religious, political, environmental or whatever. Either you're allowed to show up and distribute literature or you're not. If you are, there will be rules and procedures for managing this. The point of your mail is to get this info.

Here's the sample letter. I think it's a bit long in the tooth, and would encourage edits/subtractions.
Dear Mr. Administrator

My name is n301dp. I am a Delta Silver Medallion as well as a former Northwest Gold and Silver Elite. In the six years I have lived in Grand Forks, by my own count I have flown into and out of GFK just short of 100 flights.
[My name is n301dp]. In the past six years, I have flown out of GFK nearly 100 times.

Name optional, you'll give name/addr in the header and signature anyhow. Airport admin doesn't care which airline you fly. That you live in gfk (or have strong connection there is pretty clear. You don't need to say in and out, it's also clear.

As you are likely well aware, the Transportation Security Administration has begun implementation and use of Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) and invasive, enhanced pat-downs of passengers flying in the US airline system. While Grand Forks does not currently employ either of the AIT methods (millimeter wave or backscatter x-ray), I was dismayed to read that the new terminal would be receiving these invasive devices. It has been communicated to me by several people traveling in and out of GFK that the new pat-down procedures are in-place, and are incredibly invasive--bordering on, as several people have said in news articles, sexual assault.
I was dismayed to read [in newspaper?] that the new terminal would be receiving these extremely invasive AIT [body imaging] devices. I have also heard from other travelers that new patdown procedures are in-place at GFK, and are incredibly invasive. In the media, they're been described as bordering on sexual assault.

The airport admin is aware of what's in the airport and what's coming, don't need to say it. If you say that you read, say where (e.g. GFK Tribune) otherwise read -> learn. 'it has been communicated to me' is horrible corporate-speak. 'in and out of GFK' is probably not true anyhow, arrivals don't go through security. 'several people' is redundant and makes it unclear which is your source of information.

My purpose in writing you today is two-fold. First and foremost, I hope that the information I have shared with you in this e-mail and attachments are not new to you. If they are, I\u2019d like to strongly encourage you, your staff, and members of the Board of Directors to familiarize yourself with the inherent health risks, privacy concerns and potential for problems with the TSA\u2019s new policies and procedures. There are several sources of information, both from the TSA and other, non-governmental outlets.
Cut this paragraph entirely - you can be sure that the TSA and the airport FSD (federal security director) are coordinating with the airport management. Exactly what their management and bureaucracy do is coordinate with all the various agencies that are responsible for air traffic.

As you may be aware, a push for a nationwide Opt-Out day of AIT screening is being planned for November 24th. While I will not be traveling on that day, several community members and myself would like to hand out the attached pamphlet to passengers traveling out of Grand Forks on that day. Our purpose in this action is not to impede or hinder the work of anyone at the airport, and to that effort, we will not be blocking the security line, check-in areas or baggage claim. Instead, we hope to educate the flying public about the risks and privacy issues they face on their journeys. To that end, I want to make you aware of what we will be handing out and the manner in which it will be done so as to minimize the potential for confusion or conflict.
You may have heard that a National Opt Out Day is planned for November 24. Although the equipment may not be operational here yet, some community members plan to distribute literature at GFK that day to educate the public about the health risks and privacy issues.

Please send use information about the regulations regarding distributing literature at GFK. We do not intend to solicit any kind of donation.

Sincerely
xxxxx

Whether or nor you're traveling is irrelevant; the question is whether you're allowed to distribute literature at the airport. Usually rules about soliciting donatios are stricter than for handing out leaflets, so I include this. If you are allowed, there will be rules for where you are allowed to be, etc, so the other text is irrelevant. You could add a sentence assuring the manager of your intent to follow regulations, but I don't think it's necessary.

You don't need to attach anything. If you're allowed to distribute literature, you're allowed to distribute pretty much anything that doesn't violate harassment or hate-crime type laws. You'll be told what the rules are about what/where you can do.

If you're told you're not allowed to distribute, I'd consider contacting e.g. the local newspaper (for example) to double check what the situation actually is, If other groups have been allowed, then (generally speaking) you probably are too.

Alternatively, you could give a few leaflets to folks who are traveling or picking up arriving passengers to accidentally leave in the restroom.

Took 30 seconds to download the Airport Rules and Regulations document from the GFK airport website.

Distributing literature in the airport requires written approval of the airport authority for all areas of the airport except for privately leased areas.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 15, 2010 at 11:12 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:34 am

Let them all suffer.
Depends on whom you see as "suffering" as a result of this action. Airlines will simply point out to anyone who misses a flight because of an opt-out that their decision to opt-out was voluntary, and the airline bears no responsibility for the consequences. Airports will likely say the same thing.

The only one who "suffers" as a result of an opt-out is, potentially, those who opt-out. This is a part of civil disobedience; those choosing to engage in acts of civil disobedience willingly accept the consequences, even (or especially) if those consequences are costly.

On the other hand ... if the point of this action is to create massive publicity regarding the issue, then one should warn anyone and everyone who will listen.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It may take good old-fashioned 60's era civil rights disobedience to effect any change. This will take time - it MUST be a sustained effort. It may take sit-ins, road blockades, etc. to get the point across. The government takes us for sheep and expects us to be obedient - OR ELSE.

Civil rights occurred because folks in the 60's were willing to stand up for their rights. It will be the same with this - and make no mistake, those patriots willing to stand up DO risk inclusion on lists and government attempts to deny rights. One must be willing to take risks & endure treatment like Rosa Parks, the Kent State four, and those punished at the 1968 Chicago convention.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
United GS line

We called tonight on an unrelated issue, but ended up with a supervisor when we were inquiring about the "opt out day". She had not heard of it and actually said that the equipment that was utilized was only ultrasound. She was shocked when she was informed that "yes Virginia, there is radiation". She had gotten all of her info from the TSA. Not a surprise.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Let them all suffer.
+1

However, I do recommend sending your airline a letter or postcard each & every time you don't fly, and enclose copies of canceled itineraries whenever applicable.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Anyone can play on opt-out day. Just buy a refundable ticket going anywhere for late in the day. Then you can go through security, opt out, protest, get kicked out, whatever.

On your way home from the entertainment call the airline and cancel your flight, let them know that you won't be flying this holiday due to the security.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by flyboy_421
Anyone can play on opt-out day. Just buy a refundable ticket going anywhere for late in the day. Then you can go through security, opt out, protest, get kicked out, whatever.

On your way home from the entertainment call the airline and cancel your flight, let them know that you won't be flying this holiday due to the security.
Don't even need to show up & (try to) go through security -- just cancel it & mail a copy to the airline. Last minute tickets are the airlines' bread & butter.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:37 am

This is important. This guy was threatened with a civil suit and a $10k fine if he left the airport. ^ for standing up to this!

http://johnnyedge.blogspot.com/2010/...y-between.html

P.S. Kudos to AA for refunding his ticket. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.