Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Anyone here familiar with STL? I need some guidance on avoiding NOS.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I have to fly out of STL in about three weeks and I saw this comment on the sticky regarding the NOS:
STL - 2 BKSX installed at Terminal 1 A C/P
1) Is this still up-to-date info?

2) Is there a way to get to the USAir gates without passing through the gate with the NOS?

3) My flight is 6:00 am. Years ago, STL security didn't open until 5:00am. Is that still the case? If I opt-out, will I have time to stand around for my punitive opt-out wait time and make the flight by 6:00?

Thanks for any help. When I get to STL, I'll be finishing up a two-week booksigning tour/trip and I will be SOOOOOO ready to get back home.

Rose
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
There's now a 2nd one in Terminal 2, lanes 2 & 3.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
I was there 3 weeks ago, flying on AA. I didn't see any leading to the AA gates....

If they were there, they were not being used.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by RosemaryT
I have to fly out of STL in about three weeks and I saw this comment on the sticky regarding the NOS:

1) Is this still up-to-date info?

2) Is there a way to get to the USAir gates without passing through the gate with the NOS?

3) My flight is 6:00 am. Years ago, STL security didn't open until 5:00am. Is that still the case? If I opt-out, will I have time to stand around for my punitive opt-out wait time and make the flight by 6:00?

Thanks for any help. When I get to STL, I'll be finishing up a two-week booksigning tour/trip and I will be SOOOOOO ready to get back home.

Rose
IIRC, US flies out of A. The NoS(s) are in the center, I believe. If you're elite/first class, you're funneled to the far right, which doesn't have the NoS at all. I'll be flying in there on Thurs and out on Fri, so I can get back to you then if noone else has responded.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
I posted about the elite line a couple of weeks ago at Terminal 1-A. The Elite/FC/Crew line runs along the right-hand wall of the hallway and funnels to a WTMD that only services one X-ray machine. The regular line funnels to an area that drops you to three stations (one WTMD on the far left, two Backscatter WBI in the center); you self-select which line you wish to be in, with TSA providing some direction from time to time.

I will arrive there around 1000 Weds and will report any changes that I see once I get to my office.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Within the past week they've changed the way the lines funnel at STL at Terminal 1-A but there's still no way to reach the A gates without the possibility of getting pulled to the NoS.

The ID checkpoints are now after the queue ends. In other words there aren't two queues before/after ID check now.

When I went through on Friday around Noon-time, the far right metal detector lane was closed but so was the NoS.

So far I haven't had to "opt out" in STL because I've always been able to go through the FC lane or the NoS wasn't functional during non-peak travel times.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:53 am
Original Poster

thanks

Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for the "elite" lanes, so I'll have to rely on some other ingenious method for dodging the NOS lanes.

I am flying super early, so do I have a hope of avoiding the machines based on that?

Thanks again for any replies.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:16 am

Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for the "elite" lanes, so I'll have to rely on some other ingenious method for dodging the NOS lanes.

I am flying super early, so do I have a hope of avoiding the machines based on that?

I reckon that would increase your chances of getting selected
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:46 am

Actually, from my experiences, super early does nothing for that terminal lineup. I have been through there as soon as the checkpoint opened and seen the line almost down to the nearest store in the hallway.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Actually, from my experiences, super early does nothing for that terminal lineup. I have been through there as soon as the checkpoint opened and seen the line almost down to the nearest store in the hallway.
This is correct. All carriers that go out of A have flights scheduled between 0600-0700 which results in some of the longest lines of the day.

The upside of this is that in the chaos you may be able to slide over to the far right (elite/crew) line once you're past the ID check.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeystl
This is correct. All carriers that go out of A have flights scheduled between 0600-0700 which results in some of the longest lines of the day.

The upside of this is that in the chaos you may be able to slide over to the far right (elite/crew) line once you're past the ID check.
You're encouraging someone who doesn't qualify to use the elite lines. Elsewhere on FT we complain when the elite security lines aren't enforced effectively by airlines/airports. This isn't fair to those of us who have *earned* our elite line privileges.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
But now that you're on FT you're going to learn how to become elite, right? A book tour should pop you to the first status tier if you play it right.

Unless under the circumstances we all simply give up on flying -- sigh.....
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're encouraging someone who doesn't qualify to use the elite lines. Elsewhere on FT we complain when the elite security lines aren't enforced effectively by airlines/airports. This isn't fair to those of us who have *earned* our elite line privileges.
Your point is well taken, and under the prior 1A configuration I would not have made the post above.... but....

Since the recent move of the location of the ID podium at 1A in STL, there is no First Class (there is technically no Elite/SkyPr lane in STL) once you get past the ID check.

Those in the FC/crew line naturally funnel into the far right line, but there's currently no barrier (like there used to be) preventing others from selecting the screening lane of their choice.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I learned today that my wife was groped under her bra at STL on 11/1. I didn't realize that it was that bad -- I'd thought she'd been felt up rather thoroughly but outside her clothing.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:18 am

Wanted to respond to RosemaryT, since I said I would update based on what I saw when I arrived this morning.

I walked out of Terminal A at around 0920 this morning. As hockeystl mentioned, the line has been changed. The TDC point is now smack in the middle, right in front of the two Backscatter WBI devices. FC is still on the right-hand edge and dumps out to the right of the columns and would naturally funnel to Lane 4 (Lanes 1/4 are WTMD, lanes 2/3 are WBI).

This morning, they were only using Lanes 2/3, with the line approximately 1/2 full. Each passenger through the WBI was taking approximately 1 minute to process. In addition, the positioning of the WBI is parallel to the X-ray machines, so you cannot see the infeed, X-ray or outfeed while you are in the WBI.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I learned today that my wife was groped under her bra at STL on 11/1. I didn't realize that it was that bad -- I'd thought she'd been felt up rather thoroughly but outside her clothing.
Holy Shnikeys, Batman! Yup, these searches are non-intrusive and reasonable, therefore the 4th Amendment does not apply!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.