Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Heads Up! Senate TSA Oversight Hearing -- 17 Nov

Heads Up! Senate TSA Oversight Hearing -- 17 Nov

Old Nov 15, 10, 12:09 pm
Suspended

If you can find out the name of just one of your CC's staffers, you might be able to Google that name and come up with the "Congressional Yellow Book" which shows staffers' names, their positions and their e-mail addresses.
Old Nov 15, 10, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by doober View Post
If you can find out the name of just one of your CC's staffers, you might be able to Google that name and come up with the "Congressional Yellow Book" which shows staffers' names, their positions and their e-mail addresses.
Some representatives have a staff directory on their homepage; some don't. Can't hurt to check.
Old Nov 15, 10, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Legistorm.com works.
Old Nov 15, 10, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It probably wouldn't hurt to bring the economy into this: how much money the TSA's actions are costing the airlines and economy. Even better if you can speak from personal experience. In my letter, I noted that it's cost the travel industry $10,000 since November 1 from my travel alone. They are very sensitive to economic issues right now.
Old Nov 15, 10, 12:36 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that I called my Senator this morning (Kerry). I've also reposted the info in about 5-6 different places, though it seems that people only want to debate, not get something done. Kinda frustrating when the call took me maybe 30 seconds, most of which was listening to the "ring" before it got picked up.

Anyway, hoping something good comes of this.

Not really a frequent flier, just happened to be going on vacation next week w/ a 20mo & I'm pregnant, so wanted to know what I was getting into.
Old Nov 15, 10, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL, NW, HH
I just sent an email to my Senator, Bill Nelson. I will be phoning his office later today or early tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Scubatooth View Post
? What is the name of the full committee so i can have the correct committee names in the letter
I found this at this link http://hillwho.com/index.php?option=...0&sobi2Id=6587

Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety and Security

This site has all the members, their staffers, their committees and the committee staffers.
http://hillwho.com/

Last edited by breny; Nov 15, 10 at 1:27 pm
Old Nov 15, 10, 1:59 pm

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
I called Maria Cantwell's office. First time I've ever made a call like that. Didn't get to talk to the staffer directly since he was in a meeting. However, the woman I left a message with seemed genuinely concerned when I mentioned the numerous reports of women being selected over men, the ACLU tight skirt mention and the lack of response on "clearing" a sanitary napkin. I also mentioned that I am currently pregnant and the FDA recommends not getting the "just for pictures" ultrasounds, unless performed by a medical professional and that it is ridiculous that as a pregnant woman I am told to go through the machine or am subject to a long wait and intense pat-down. I also talked about it being ineffective anyone that is determined to get something on-board will. Finally, I mentioned that my 15 year old son is flying alone this Thanksgiving and I think it is ridiculous that a child is subject to either an x-ray or a pat down of his gentials.
Old Nov 15, 10, 2:54 pm
RVP

I sent messages to all the Senators on the list (through their websites). I emailed my own Senators and Congressmen as well. It took maybe an hour out of my day.

If I have a few hours later this week, I'll make some phone calls.

TSA is feeling the heat, but we must remain dilligent. Every little bit helps.
Old Nov 15, 10, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Originally Posted by LV702 View Post
Was this before or after Nude-O-Scope mania?
Read yahoo and other commentary. Most of America is 100% behind the increased security. If you don't like it, don't fly. Are "rights" were changed after 9/11. There are now people that want to kill you and don't care if they die. How are you going to prevent the underwear bombs. God Save the TSA
Old Nov 15, 10, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by meisterau View Post
Read yahoo and other commentary. Most of America is 100% behind the increased security. If you don't like it, don't fly. Are "rights" were changed after 9/11. There are now people that want to kill you and don't care if they die. How are you going to prevent the underwear bombs. God Save the TSA
Other than Yahoo, please give us links to this "other commentary."
Old Nov 15, 10, 3:05 pm

Programs: NWA Tears
Reps should be made aware of this:

The Invasive Pat Down

Ok that one is ......... It is a terror tactic by TSA to get you to walk through the more thorough body scanner. I cant defend TSA on this one. I have talked to the TSA officers and it is no more effective than the old pat down procedure. They tested it out with trainers and each other. It is purely a terror tactic by TSA. Shame on TSA and anyone who has to get one should write a complaint in afterward. You still have to get it though if you want to get on the plane. Throwing a fit will not get you out of it.
From http://www.momversus.com/2010/11/03/...p-get-scanned/
Old Nov 15, 10, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Other than Yahoo, please give us links to this "other commentary."
There is some on CNN. I am working on responding to all of the people that believe TSA = Always safe from terrorists
Old Nov 15, 10, 3:09 pm

I just jotted something off quick while at work, to my Georgia senator on the committee:

I, like many Georgia residents, am deeply concerned about the invasive screening procedures that the TSA has recently initiated, which have been highlighted on many national news media sites. In addition to my concern over the appropriateness of the imaging technology (privacy concerns, health concerns) and the invasive nature of the 'enhanced' patdowns with groin searches on everyone young and old, I have also heard of the man who was threatened with fines for failing to submit to these screening procedures.

I understand that we can opt not to travel by air, and I have indeed been minimizing my air travel as much as possible. However, I fail to see the constitutionality of detaining someone for failing to submit to security procedures that are not FULLY and COMPLETELY disclosed before entering the screening area. This sounds like illegal detainment to me.

So, I don't approve of the new enhancements, and I don't believe we are benefiting as a nation from them. And furthermore, I believe that there are unconstitutional detainments being threatened by the TSA.

I, as a voter, would appreciate someone looking into these issues.

Thank you,
<real name withheld here>
Old Nov 15, 10, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by breny View Post
I just sent an email to my Senator, Bill Nelson. I will be phoning his office later today or early tomorrow.

]
Folks - you have the phone their offices. They likely will not get to an email in time - they have thousands of those coming in a day. Sometimes they don't get to them until a week later. So when time is limited, a short phone call is best. All you have to do is state your position and tell them that you hope the Senator represents their position at the hearing. It's quick, easy, and unlike some TSA searches, painless.
Old Nov 15, 10, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I've been trying to get a call through to Hutchinson all afternoon, no success. Someone is calling her and I hope it's about this!

Search this Thread