Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Heads Up! Senate TSA Oversight Hearing -- 17 Nov

Heads Up! Senate TSA Oversight Hearing -- 17 Nov

Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by MJLouise
Can you refer me to a pithy sentenced or two about "TSA theater" that I can use as a script for the phone calls & emails?
You can probablyfind something here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-airlines.html
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:48 pm

Understand, I'm NOT a tax-whiner. I refuse to join the long history of those people starting with the Whiskey Rebellion. But the apathy that lets things like HUGE Halliburton overruns to just slide by annoys me. There's this double standard that one welfare cheat is intolerable, but Halliburton is OK. And I think TSA falls under this. Their budget is justified by "making us safe". But what's the metric? I fail to see any. They didn't stop the underwear bomber. NO ONE stopped him, so it was up to travelers to step in. So to me that's a fatal flaw in the system. We have the US government scurrying around in isolation, badgering and humiliating the people of the world, and meantime, we let planes take off elsewhere and fly over our territory containing harmful contraband that could blow them up. I think it is HIGH time for a return to the drawing board involving all nations concerned to come up with a comprehensive solution that insures REASONABLE safety and observes human rights. It sure won't be perfect, but compared to the cobbled solution of today, it will at least be an improvement.

How come bodies like the ITU and WHO can coordinate response to global changes, but we don't have a similar body to respond to the challenge of terrorists?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've just e-mailed Senator Warner, and I will call his office on Monday. Needless to say, it won't be me asking him to congratulate TSA.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I do hope somebody references the issue @ DEN with the clerk that pointed out a cutie coming through..
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I do hope somebody references the issue @ DEN with the clerk that pointed out a cutie coming through..
That someone can be you

Contact sub-committee chairman Sen. Byron Dorgon (202)-224-2551 to ensure that this issue is on the agenda.

Of the locations in your profile, only one has a senator on the subcommittee.

Olympia J. Snowe (202) 224-5344, (800) 432-1599
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
Just shot an email off to both Feinstein and Boxer. I don't think I'll bother with Maxine Waters. She's as worthless as tits on a boar.

Don't know if it will make a difference but it made me feel like they should know that people are not happy with what is going on.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
This is REALLY important. Please please please forward this thread to all your friends and colleagues who may not be on Flyertalk and urge them to write in as well - we only have two more days to be heard before this meeting!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sky74
This is REALLY important. Please please please forward this thread to all your friends and colleagues who may not be on Flyertalk and urge them to write in as well - we only have two more days to be heard before this meeting!
You can also post the info in comment sections of other news stories, cnn, WaPo, etc.

I've seen it a couple of places so far. If it's already there, do a 'like' or 'recommend' so that it stays near the top (assuming of course that you like it).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1P
Kerry is one of my senators, made my call this morning. Obviously got a staffer, who promised to forward my concerns to Sen. Kerry. Encouraging my friends to do the same, but most don't believe anything will happen or work.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:12 am
Suspended

Phone calls made.

Lautenberg's office not particularly helpful, almost obstructionist.

Menendez' office, although it took time to get through, was extremely courteous.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Sadly none of my criminals critters are on the committee.
Maybe I should just call some at random
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windwalker
Sadly none of my criminals critters are on the committee.
Maybe I should just call some at random
The most useful senator to contact is Sen Dorgan (D-ND) at (202)-224-2551, because he is the chair of the Senate Subcommittee on Aviation.

Call or email to ask whether many media reports of TSA abuses and growing public concern (including yours, I assume) will be on the TSA Oversight Hearing agenda Wednesday.

You can also look up your own senator and representative at www.house.gov and www.senate.gov
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:55 am

I put the information up on optoutday.com - as well as on the twitter feed. the only chance we have at changing things is via legislation, since the administration won't budge. This may be one of our best shots!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by doober
Phone calls made.

Lautenberg's office not particularly helpful, almost obstructionist.

Menendez' office, although it took time to get through, was extremely courteous.
Lautenberg's office told me that they were trying to get constituents' opinions before taking a position, and then asked what I felt about the issue.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:16 am

to the OP: please change your post. This is a FULL COMMITTEE hearing!
"WASHINGTON, D.C.—The U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation announces the following full committee hearing on Transportation Security Administration oversight."

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/in...1-de668ca1978a

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.