Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSO saying "heads up, got a cutie for you"

TSO saying "heads up, got a cutie for you"

Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by JoeBas
Here's a question for our TSOs out there:

Are your radio transmissions routinely recorded and archived?
If not, they should be. 24/7.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:31 am

This is a serious question, that I'd love to know the answer to.

Professionals have absolutely no issue with this kind of information being recorded:

Police/Fire/EMS transmissions are routinely recorded.
Air Traffic transmissions are routinely recorded.
Railroad transmissions are routinely recorded.
Pretty much ANY profession that uses radio as a primary means of communication is recorded.

This would serve a number of very valuable functions:

Protect the TSO from false claims (such as they'll claim the one made in this thread is false in 3, 2, 1...)
Provide invaluable audio commentary/evidence when (not if, but WHEN) there actually is a terrorist incident at the huge pile in front of the checkpoint - only a matter of time.
Allow for consistent monitoring and training to ensure employees are adhering to SOP.
Allow for better identification and weeding out of "Bad apple" TSOs who refuse remedial action, thereby improving their image with the public.

Just off the top of my head.

REAL PROFESSIONALS have no problem having this information recorded. Does the TSA?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by HighPotter
I've never understood this part of the "opt-out" rule.

A. This technology is optional to passengers in the U.S. Passengers who opt out of imaging technology screening will go through alternative screening, including same-gender pat downs.

As a man, why can't I request a female TSA employee for my "pat down" ?
I wont be offended...really I wont. :-)

HP
You know comments like this is what makes all of this disgusting for us women! Its not a freakin joke!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Would one of Ron's colleagues do this?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWFA
Last week, one of my flying partners (Captain with Skywest) was going through security at DEN with his 18 year daughter. As his daughter approached the detector, the TSO working the NoS said on his headset, "heads up, got a cutie for you."
Outrageous!

I hope the Skywest captain goes further than just taking it up with his airline. I have to think about this, but I suspect there may even be a criminal aspect to the TSO's behavior. The sole legal purpose of the checkpoint security inspection is to assure that weapons, explosives and incendiaries do not pass into the sterile area. If these TSOs are using the NOS for their own amusement and sexual gratification, they are acting outside the very narrow limits of the administrative search (and certainly outside the scope of their employment). If it had been me, I think I would have called over a LEO and pressed charges. And then called the media. And then my congressperson and senator.

Originally Posted by HighPotter
I've never understood this part of the "opt-out" rule.

A. This technology is optional to passengers in the U.S. Passengers who opt out of imaging technology screening will go through alternative screening, including same-gender pat downs.

As a man, why can't I request a female TSA employee for my "pat down" ?
I wont be offended...really I wont. :-)

HP
I'm WAY ahead of you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...pat-downs.html

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 13, 2010 at 7:05 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Outrageous!

I hope the Skywest captain goes further than just taking it up with his airline. I have to think about this, but I suspect there may even be a criminal aspect to the TSO's behavior. The sole legal purpose of the checkpoint security inspection is to assure that weapons, explosives and incendiaries do not pass into the sterile area. If these TSOs are using the NOS for their own amusement and sexual gratification, they are acting outside the very narrow limits of the administrative search (and certainly outside the scope of their employment). If it had been me, I think I would have called over a LEO and pressed charges. And then called the media. And then my congressperson and senator.
This could turn out to be an systemic problem with AIT, and potentially, its downfall, at least in its current incarnation. They will probably have to get rid of the human observed graphic display, and go to some computer image reading system that flags abnormalities. While it won't solve the backscatter radiation issue, it would resolve the observation issues.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by JoeBas
Here's a question for our TSOs out there:

Are your radio transmissions routinely recorded and archived?
Not all of them are, but they are all in the clear others are on a reversal codec but that is easy to correct and you can look up the freq online. I always have my radio with me(digital recorder plugged in as well) and i have a 3x5 card with the frequencies on it so i can see what clerks are upto and saying. In my travels I have heard some dispicable radio traffic by TSA, as no professional would ever say the things I have heard TSA have said. Its been to the point that i have sent CDs of recordings to FSDs of a few airports because they were so unprofessional it would make a sailor blush.

The worst one in the past year was at MIA, I was sitting in the admirals club listening to channels, when i came up on the TSA channel, where i heard a interesting conversation going on. After listening for under a minute i was able to pick out which checkpoint it was based on there conversation as they were pretty stupid/blatant and obviously dont know anything about professionalism or opsec. I went and see who these idiots were and once i saw who they were and had enough information to send to the FSD; I broke in on there conversation and told them they should watch what they say on a open and clear channel and that talking about a passengers butt is unacceptable and highly unprofessional and that they would be reported to TSA management. I have never seen clerks look so scared in there life as it looked like they were either going to crap themselves or cry. I had to sit down at this point as i was trying hard to keep from laughing my butt off. Once i stopped laughing I went up to the checkpoint supervisor and asked for the name and badge numbers of the offenders. The supervisor naturally was asking why i wanted that the information. I told him it was above his pay grade to deal with the situation/issue. This clerk must have been ex military because instead of bowing up like normal clerks do this ones response was "yes sir". I got the names and badge numbers, and verifying they were correct i went back to the club to wait for my flight. Never did get a response from the FSD but i havent seen those two clowns since, but that doesnt mean much considering how big MIA is and the number of clerks TSA has there.

JoeBas - not all PD/FD/EMS traffic is open and in the clear alot of departments have gone to trunked or encrypted radio systems, some of which can be cracked if someone has the time and money to do so. For the most part all traffic by those groups is professional, clear, and to the point as they have other things to do then BS. That and its recorded, at least where i work (all phone, and radio communication is stored digitally uncompressed raw format)
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
JoeBas - not all PD/FD/EMS traffic is open and in the clear alot of departments have gone to trunked or encrypted radio systems, some of which can be cracked if someone has the time and money to do so. For the most part all traffic by those groups is professional, clear, and to the point as they have other things to do then BS. That and its recorded, at least where i work (all phone, and radio communication is stored digitally uncompressed raw format)
This is what I was asking - I wasn't asking if it was "In the clear" or untrunked, I was asking if it was recorded and archived on TSAs end for monitoring and investigating of this kind of stuff.

Every other professional and government agency out there that uses radio does this. Does the TSA?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Scubatooth, what sort of radio are you using to listen to TSA conversations?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:18 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Disgusting, filthy perverts. They should be put in jail and on Megan's list. Predators, plain and simple.

But really, is anyone surprised this is happening? It was about as hard to predict as last week's election results.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
You know comments like this is what makes all of this disgusting for us women! Its not a freakin joke!

My apologies, Mr.
I was only trying to add a bit of levity to the situation.

A bit misplaced I suppose, after your comment.

HP
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Not all of them are, but they are all in the clear others are on a reversal codec but that is easy to correct and you can look up the freq online. I always have my radio with me(digital recorder plugged in as well) and i have a 3x5 card with the frequencies on it so i can see what clerks are upto and saying. In my travels I have heard some dispicable radio traffic by TSA, as no professional would ever say the things I have heard TSA have said. Its been to the point that i have sent CDs of recordings to FSDs of a few airports because they were so unprofessional it would make a sailor blush.

The worst one in the past year was at MIA, I was sitting in the admirals club listening to channels, when i came up on the TSA channel, where i heard a interesting conversation going on. After listening for under a minute i was able to pick out which checkpoint it was based on there conversation as they were pretty stupid/blatant and obviously dont know anything about professionalism or opsec. I went and see who these idiots were and once i saw who they were and had enough information to send to the FSD; I broke in on there conversation and told them they should watch what they say on a open and clear channel and that talking about a passengers butt is unacceptable and highly unprofessional and that they would be reported to TSA management. I have never seen clerks look so scared in there life as it looked like they were either going to crap themselves or cry. I had to sit down at this point as i was trying hard to keep from laughing my butt off. Once i stopped laughing I went up to the checkpoint supervisor and asked for the name and badge numbers of the offenders. The supervisor naturally was asking why i wanted that the information. I told him it was above his pay grade to deal with the situation/issue. This clerk must have been ex military because instead of bowing up like normal clerks do this ones response was "yes sir". I got the names and badge numbers, and verifying they were correct i went back to the club to wait for my flight. Never did get a response from the FSD but i havent seen those two clowns since, but that doesnt mean much considering how big MIA is and the number of clerks TSA has there.

I would followo the suggestion that has been made on a couple of threads now - send the recordings and information to the DHS IG.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Scubatooth, what sort of radio are you using to listen to TSA conversations?
One is a yeasu vx6r HT the other is a modified ICOM HT radio for use with MARS (military amateur radio service) and a few other things. I have other radios but those are my portables for 70cm, 2m, 6m. I have other radios (but there not portable) that go into the HF bands but atmospheric conditions have to be right for those and I cant keep those antennas up due to the local HOA.

DevilDog - I have had some other items I need to take care of higher priority but now the time is right to kick TSA while everyone else is.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by SWFA
He said pat-down was pretty evasive, and his daughter felt uncomfortable.
I'd guess you meant invasive, instead of evasive.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Screw the FSD's, send it to the local media. They'd eat this up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.