Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA employees can vote on union representation, labor board rules

TSA employees can vote on union representation, labor board rules

Old Nov 12, 10, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post TSA employees can vote on union representation, labor board rules

In a significant victory for federal employee unions, the Federal Labor Relations Authority decided Friday that Transportation Security Administration staffers will be allowed to vote on union representation.

The decision clears the way for a campaign by the government's two largest labor organizations, the American Federation of Government Employees and the National Treasury Employees Union, to represent some 50,000 transportation security officers.

"It is no secret that the morale of the TSO workforce is terrible as a result of favoritism, a lack of fair and respectful treatment from many managers, poor and unhealthy conditions in some airports, poor training and testing protocols and a poor pay system," said AFGE President John Gage. "The morale problems are documented by the government's own surveys. TSOs need a recognized union voice at work, and the important decision of the FLRA finally sets the process in motion to make that right a reality."
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fed...=news-col-blog
Old Nov 12, 10, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This will be interesting on many, many levels.
Old Nov 12, 10, 11:13 pm

Programs: United
You know, I'm generally against unions but I have a feeling that the union would demand (among other things) that they be allowed to wear dosimeters.
Old Nov 12, 10, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Combat Medic View Post
You know, I'm generally against unions but I have a feeling that the union would demand (among other things) that they be allowed to wear dosimeters.
I think that is wishful thinking. What benefit would union management accrue from this particular demand? Rank and file screeners are every bit the sheep as the passengers they screen.
Old Nov 13, 10, 3:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I am pro-union and let me simply say that for the good TSA employees out there* this will be a good thing but for the bad TSA employees out there, this will be an effing nightmare to have these folks terminated from a job they had no business holding in the first place.

*yes there are some out there including some whom I've met who are also us
Old Nov 13, 10, 3:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
I am pro-union and let me simply say that for the good TSA employees out there* this will be a good thing but for the bad TSA employees out there, this will be an effing nightmare to have these folks terminated from a job they had no business holding in the first place.
????

Bad worker are protected by unions, not fired by them.
Old Nov 13, 10, 4:48 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
"Transportation Security Administration staffers"
See, it's not just us. They are staff, not officers.
Old Nov 13, 10, 6:32 am
Suspended

And just generally, when something like the new grope-fest policy is announced there'd be more than individual screeners here and there wondering about liability, the risk of getting punched in the face, etc. I've no use for TSA and its employees but if this could reign in some of that agency's insanities...
Old Nov 13, 10, 6:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K
If they are unionized, they are here for good.
Mind you, I'm in dreamland if I think there's any possibility of the TSA going away.

If the state of the TSA staffers is as quoted, then they are ripe for union takeover, and I would totally understand why. I generally don't think unions have much place any more, but with 50,000 employees scattered over the entire country and managed in such small pockets of autonomy - idiocy, power hunger, favouritism and abuse is inevitable - a union would help. I too, would worry about them not cleaning house before the union was implemented.
Old Nov 13, 10, 6:55 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Wow - I'm totally torn on this issue.

Pro - New screening protocols would have to be approved by union. I can't imagine the TSA screeners are happy to grope all the fat ugly people out there...

Pro - Real answers on dosimeters and radiation emissions

Con - Pedophiles and Sex Criminals harder to fire

Con - The easiest way to get a permanent desk job in the TSA would probably become "act like an aggressive ....... towards passengers, but just enough so that we can't fire you according to the union contract"

Con - Probably new federal restrictions on luggage weight because screeners shouldn't have to lift XXX lbs.
Old Nov 13, 10, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I started out thinking that would be a good idea but have changed my mind.

TSA says its safe, let em fry!
Old Nov 13, 10, 7:05 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Great, just great. SSI SOP and union contract rules. One tells them what they can do to us the other what they do not have to do and still get paid for it.
Old Nov 13, 10, 7:42 am

Programs: SSSSS
Maybe they can go on strike.
. . .hire argenbright to cover for them while they're on strike
. . .and airplanes won't blow out of the sky!
Old Nov 13, 10, 9:15 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA
TSA employees have always been allowed to join a union and let the union represent them in workplace issues. TSA employees do not have collective bargaining rights and this vote will not change that.
There is currently two unions fighting to represent TSA employees. This vote will simply settle that fight once and for all. It will determine which of the two will be the sole representative of TSA employees.

The unions basically want the same thing and have the same ideas and goals. The difference between the two is how they go about achieving their goals. One has a reputation of treating agencies and management as the enemy and the other treats the relationship as a partnership and tries to work with agencies to reach an agreement that satisfies both sides and achieves labor harmony, but will sue as a last resort.

From what I've seen, the union that doesn't act like a junior teamster from the Hoffa days seems to be the union that does better for it's members when it's time to negotiate contracts.
Old Nov 14, 10, 11:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
????

Bad worker are protected by unions, not fired by them.
Yes and what I'm getting at is that with union representation, it becomes even more difficult for management to terminate any, let alone a bad, employee.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: